Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Crow till I die

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lol, we have about 27 fit players on the list at the moment, I don't think that's a problem.

If anything he's been easing him into it gradually. He's still only attending 3 or 4 CBA's a game, as he's still a rake.

Makes his ability to find the ball all the more impressive, seeing as he's being doing a major % of it at half forward.

He's a nailed on 30+ disposal winner as early as year 2 or 3.

He's not too dissimilar to Clayton Oliver imo.
well then have a look at this!!

The 747

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
he hasn’t had a game where I haven’t shaken my head at something he’s done.

18yo 6’7” midfielder who runs ~15km a game, usually sits atop the average speed tracker and can kick it 60m to a teammate off either foot. At 18.

Seasoned draft watchers had him going late first round and a big risk. I do wonder if we would have picked him at 6 if we didn’t have the Daniher compo and the Saad trade. Maybe our luck is finally turning

I can see why just because there isn't really a player to compare him to - so hard to tell how he would adapt to AFL. Seems to be adapting pretty well.

andrewb

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
I can see why just because there isn't really a player to compare him to - so hard to tell how he would adapt to AFL. Seems to be adapting pretty well.
Yeah I get the feeling if he had exposed 2020 form in the juniors he would have been hard to ignore in the top 5, but even with junior footy you’d still have to worry about picking Cale Morton / Mark Bolton mark II

The 747

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I get the feeling if he had exposed 2020 form in the juniors he would have been hard to ignore in the top 5, but even with junior footy you’d still have to worry about picking Cale Morton / Mark Bolton mark II

Or Kepler Bradley mark II - sorry Kepler!

THE_GUN

R.I.P Shane Tuck 21
Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Out of all the draftee's so far on exposed form i must say i love watching Cox the most with his height run and kicking for such a young big kid is just amazing
cant wait to see what he becomes in 3-4 years time.

Big Call but he looks like the type that could win a brownlow by the time he is finished

kool kangas

In Sonja l trust
Sep 2, 2007
Burnside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne Vfl
I am so excited by Powell - he has insane hands, high footy IQ, natural ball winner, kicks quite well and he's alot quicker then he looks as well. But just such a smart footballer and still very lean, but no issues in the midfield against AFL bodies.

l have been very impressed with Lazarro also. His pace and skills are something the club has needed for awhile now. Phillips does good things and we will see next year how good he really is, seeing as he never played in 2020 and has some catching up to do.

Stevi_Tigers

TheBrownDog
Mar 2, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Samson Ryan kicked 4 goals against the lions reserves and had 3 against the giants. Definitely showing some signs for the pick we got him for

Maurice Rioli jnr shows glimpses of brilliance but will take time absolute tackling machine though. Obviously needs to work on getting his tank up to afl standard

Mansell won his spot on the list after the draft and training with us has so far played 6 games as a lock down defender hard as a cats head

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Berry has been our surprise packet. Very hard edge, would be leading our tackle count & good mark for his size. Now kicking some goals after a point steak to start his career.

Our forward line now looks much better with Thilthorpe with Tex & Fog. 5 goals on debut & what is exciting is that he is just us comfortable sharking a ground ball as he is taking a mark. Looks OK in ruck we are he got possession after his own tap. Looks like he will be our best player since McLeod.

Crow till I die

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Berry has been our surprise packet. Very hard edge, would be leading our tackle count & good mark for his size. Now kicking some goals after a point steak to start his career.

Our forward line now looks much better with Thilthorpe with Tex & Fog. 5 goals on debut & what is exciting is that he is just us comfortable sharking a ground ball as he is taking a mark. Looks OK in ruck we are he got possession after his own tap. Looks like he will be our best player since McLeod.
Don't forget James Rowe..averaging over a goal per game and has kicked multiples against the 2 top 4 sides we beat this year and also is a very clever user of the ball by foot and hand.. a very astute pick up for us so far

Orange crush

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Crows rookies all look to be long term best 22 as do the bombers young guns .... Poulter from the pies looks handy too, despite his shocking head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
It really has been a good draft so far.
It has defied the talk of a weak draft, and may actually be better than this year's.
I think the quality of the SA kids and Sydney's Academy ones has boosted the draft.
So far this year the good SA first year players are

Collingwood
Caleb Poulter, Beau McCreery

Adelaide
James Rowe, Reily Thilthorpe (and still have Cook and Pedler to come)

Port Adelaide
Lachie Jones

North Melbourne
Tom Powell

harper2bastinac

Senior List
Dec 28, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
juventus
At this stage very happy with Powell, lazzaro and Phillips in that order. They have all shown what they are capable of and hope to see it more consistently.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Holmes - the player Geelong traded a 1st round pick to select, has played a few games. I'm not as impressed as some of our supporters. Athletic and can find the ball but seems allergic to contact. Hopeful when he puts on weight and that area of his game improves.

weltschmerz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We're playing our rookies and they're playing their roles. I like Lachie McNeil. Dom Bedendo has to chug a swimming pool of protein shakes and spend a year doing weights, but he has a lot of potential.

hawkmang

Team Captain
Dec 3, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Denver Grainger-Barras: showing good signs at training and VFL from limited opportunities. Has spent the last couple of months recovering from a knee hyperextension. Hopefully some AFL appearances after the bye.

Seamus Mitchell: hasn’t been on the park, we picked him the day after he did a major ankle injury and has had hamstring issues. Probably won’t play this year.

Tyler Brockman: Shown great forward-craft and x-factor potential but languishing in the VFL now because he needs to work on his consistency of effort.

Jack Saunders: Speculative rookie selection showing plenty as a small forward in the VFL.

Lachie Bramble: Probably would be playing in the seniors but he has been injured for most of the season. Can’t be much worse than our current midfield.

Connor Downie: Was named as rd 1 medi-sub but since then has been in the VFL side. There’s a player there but needs to work on his defensive side

overall nothing to get excited about yet which is really disappointing given our ladder position

Kangaroos4eva

Hall of Famer
Aug 22, 2012
ACT
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
West Ham United
Powell has slowed down a bit due to tiredness and different (learning) roles over the last 2-3 weeks, but was outstanding before that. Needs a few preseasons to fill out, but the signs are there.

Lazzaro has shown a lot of zip, tackling, smarts and neat disposal, but he is being played out of position at half-forward and is another that is a bit tired. Will benefit from a preseason of hard running.

Phillips had a slow start like most Victorian kids, but absolutely smashed the VFL last time he played as inside midfielder. Outstanding smarts and handballing, just oozes class.

Spicer has been mostly injured, but didn't do much before that. Just very raw at this stage.

Eddie Ford started slow, but is really showing quite a bit over the last month of VFL footy as an undersized KPF. Will be a third tall when he fills out. Flies for absolutely everything, has a great spring, skills and likes a tackle.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Powell was such a insane ball magnet at his level. If he continues to develop he could be a massive win for your recruiting team.

while I love both Powell and Phillips, and think that both will be considered draft successes, I can’t help but look at MacDonald and think how much a MacDonald and Powell draft, especially with Horne possibly coming a year later would set you up.

Drafting Horne and offering mckay a huge bag seems sensible

Chaisa

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
Why would north be able to lure the breakout Coleman medal winning kf?

And how do they get him and still have pick 1 to draft Horne in your scenario?
2022 first and/or PSD.

CatToTheFuture

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Holmes - the player Geelong traded a 1st round pick to select, has played a few games. I'm not as impressed as some of our supporters. Athletic and can find the ball but seems allergic to contact. Hopeful when he puts on weight and that area of his game improves.
Reckon he just suffers from a case fresh drafted Nat Fyfe frame. He seems hungry enough

Remove this Banner Ad