Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I'm going to stick to my guns on this one where I think it's going to go down as a bit of a stinker, or at the very least, very very shallow. Think very few teams are going to be happy with the talent they got out of it in another 10 years or so
I think you're spot on. No one is has jumped up to be a potential top 20 player in the comp.

2003 could have a challenger for their worst draft ever title.

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
40 senior goals in 2022 out of a 2020 rookie draft player is pretty good value.
We're also very happy with 2020 pick #44.
Dekka can find some gems with late picks, but has trouble nailing the early ones.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fair few players already delisted. Poulter, McMahon, Rosman, Downie, and Rowe were all picked in the 30s and have all gotten the arse.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
2016 is a ripper draft, everyone did well

Literally every year, our draft hand from that year (that's still on our list) keeps getting better, haha:

Pick 26 - Parfitt (Premiership Player)
Pick 40 - Stewart (B+F, 4x AA and Premiership Player)
Pick 43 Ratugolea
Rookie Pick 16 - J. Henry (Runner up B+F, Premiership Player)
Rookie Pick 33 - Z. Guthrie (Premiership Player)
Cat B Rookie - O'Connor (Premiership Player)

Can't believe how well we did out of that draft given we didn't even have a pick in the Top 25, and arguably that hand as a whole was far more important than Danger as an acquisition, IMO.

Last edited:
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Literally every year, our draft hand from that year (that's still on our list) keeps getting better, haha:

Pick 26 - Parfitt (Premiership Player)
Pick 40 - Stewart (B+F, 4x AA and Premiership Player)
Pick 43 Ratugolea
Rookie Pick 16 - J. Henry (Runner up B+F, Premiership Player)
Rookie Pick 33 - Z. Guthrie (Premiership Player)
Cat B Rookie - O'Connor (Premiership Player)

Can't believe how well we did out of that draft given we didn't even have a pick in the Top 25, and arguably that hand as a whole was far more important than Danger as an acquisition, IMO.
Not sure why you stopped at 2016? Just list all the premiership players good or bad that played a few weeks ago.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Not sure why you stopped at 2016? Just list all the premiership players good or bad that played a few weeks ago.

It was more the point that we drafted 5 premiership players, a 4 x AA/B+F and a Runner up B+F in the one draft...that doesn't happen too often - when you don't have one pick within the first 25 draftees.

There's no need to be a smartass.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
It was more the point that we drafted 5 premiership players, a 4 x AA/B+F and a Runner up B+F in the one draft...that doesn't happen too often - when you don't have one pick within the first 25 draftees.

There's no need to be a smartass.
Greatest team of all.

It’s the 2020 draft thread.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I think you're spot on. No one is has jumped up to be a potential top 20 player in the comp.

2003 could have a challenger for their worst draft ever title.
I reckon there's a chunk of top end talent. Lots of talls that take longer too. I reckon there's at least one future superstar amongst JUH, Gulden, Chapman, Holmes, Perkins and the various talls.

But the draft looks really shallow.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1 Logan McDonald
2 Heath Chapman
3 Archie Perkins
4 Oliver Henry
5 Tanner Bruhn

That is whom I would take for current and future potential growth based on exposed form, Perkins might be a tad high at 3, but I think his outstanding game against The Saints last night is going to start happening more on a regular basis, Essendon have the player with the highest ceiling/scope for growth in this draft, along with McDonald, in my opinion

Bowey still not to make the top 5 (he was next in the list)

I am just really bullish about those kids and their likely future potential and trajectory.

Giants would be filthy if they lose Bruhn, kid is a weapon, esp by foot.
The fact that you don’t have Gulden says a lot about your understanding of the game.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Been wondering with the inclusion of the Pre season supplement period and the Mid season draft where some of those guys would land if these draft years where re done today.

For example where would Jai Newcombe land?
Easily the best 20 year old mid in the game.

I'm just not to sure if you would include him in the 2020 draft discussion or the 2021 as an over-ager.

Edit: he would also scrape into the 2019 draft class as well so that's probably where he should land.
If we go off the 22under22 criteria he is in the same year as Caleb serong,21 before the conclusion of the 2022
afl season.
Serong is a lot better midfielder and has hit every indicator to becoming a champion.
I rate Newcombe he had an amazing year but I’ve seen a few that have burst on to the scene and struggled to replicate.
If he can replicate this season in 2023
Then you might have an argument if going off age.

If we go off the 22under22 criteria he is in the same year as Caleb serong,21 before the conclusion of the 2022
afl season.
Serong is a lot better midfielder and has hit every indicator to becoming a champion.
I rate Newcombe he had an amazing year but I’ve seen a few that have burst on to the scene and struggled to replicate.
If he can replicate this season in 2023
Then you might have an argument if going off age.
Good point, we have seen this occur first hand with Worpel who had a breakout year at 20 only to struggle the years following.

Serong is 7 months older than Duke and has spent alot more time in the elite system, so I don't think he needs to out preform him in 2023 but if he can back up this season with a similar one it will go a long way.

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm going to stick to my guns on this one where I think it's going to go down as a bit of a stinker, or at the very least, very very shallow. Think very few teams are going to be happy with the talent they got out of it in another 10 years or so
Quiet a few picked in the 2nd round already on the chopping block, so don't think you're Robinson Crusoe in having that take.

Just hope we are one of the few that are very happy given the early picks we had.

Quiet a few picked in the 2nd round already on the chopping block, so don't think you're Robinson Crusoe in having that take.

Just hope we are one of the few that are very happy given the early picks we had.
Yeah, you guys look like you got at least one gun with Gulden with jury out on Campbell and McDonald who look like they could range anywhere from decent roleplayer to gun. Think you guys will be one of the few happy with your picks when it's all said and done

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
I've had hangovers better than this draft. * me what a bunch of spuds.

Not the players' fault though I'm not convinced either.

This is one of 2 drafts (2021 the other) that can't be compared and contrasted with the other drafts due to the shutdown.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I've had hangovers better than this draft. * me what a bunch of spuds.

We all know KPF forwards take a bit of time/seasoning and as the previous post alluded to, JUH, McDonald and Thilthorpe have performed superbly this weekend and I think is sustainable for the rest of the season.

Back