News 2020 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting detail in this article is that while we never had a clue that we were going to get Butler, the club actually spoke to him a few times during the year.

Some things are obviously able to be kept under wraps. ( which makes it a mystery how the news about Heeney got out..... 🤣)

Really good insight into Butler and his journey to become the player he has.

6ebd1852a8c60a37df95c2c02b73d51f.jpg

Well done St Kilda Football Club 😃👍🏻🔴⚪⚫

nbnNZF5.jpg
Media team have done a great job this year
Insta had 80,000 followers at the start of the year I believe it up around 110,000 now

Last edited:

David Rath, the footy guru behind the revival of St Kilda
Head of football David Rath takes part in a St Kilda training session Picture Michael Klein. Head of football David Rath takes part in a St Kilda training session Picture Michael Klein.
A couple of days after St Kilda reached their first finals series since 2011, a message was sent around the group. Be at Sunshine Beach by dawn for an important session.
Such a practice is not necessarily unusual. Some coaches have used it as a stick to discipline a side after a shocker.
On this occasion, the gathering was a carrot. And Noosa in October is far more appealing than Brighton Beach in July.
READ NEXT
The group arrived in the dark and headed to the headland at Sunshine Beach to meditate. The Saints then returned to a grassy spot above the beach and broke into groups consisting of players and club staff.
There was an important reason for the gathering with a clear message. Do not be satisfied with simply making the finals. The opportunity ahead is great.
But it was not coach Brett Ratten driving the reset. Instead it was David Rath, St Kilda’s head of football.
He went around the groups and asked a question: “What does it mean to be playing finals?”
What struck those at the gathering is that it was not just the players who spoke. Rath directed the question to everyone, from chief executive Matt Finnis to the club’s trainers.
The symbolism was clear. There is far more to a football club than the 22 players who step out each weekend.
Everyone in attendance had played a role in getting the Saints of 2020 to this stage. They started the finals series strongly with a triumph over the Western Bulldogs and will now play in a semi-final against reigning premiers Richmond on the Gold Coast on Friday night.
St Kilda’s chief operating officer Simon Lethlean said Rath, who spent more than a decade working at Hawthorn before joining the AFL, has played a critical role in lifting standards at the Saints.
“He has obviously had 13 years of experience at Hawthorn, so he has a wonderful insight into club culture and high performance,” Lethlean told The Australian.
“It is something that had not necessarily been a strong point at the Saints. We are really happy with the investment in the people we have at the club.
“(That has) helped change the culture of that program and having Rath come in, because he is a close confidante of Ratts, having them come in together has been important.”
St Kilda’s recruiting staff had a big October in 2019. Among those lured to the club were Dougal Howard, Zak Jones, Paddy Ryder, Dan Butler and Brad Hill. All have proven successful.
But should the Saints continue to surge this season and in coming years, luring Rath out of AFL House to be the right-hand man to Ratten, and others such as James Gallagher as list manager and Jarryd Roughead in a development role, will prove even more crucial.
Lethlean was mindful Rath, who was working on game strategy and trends at the AFL alongside Steve Hocking, had always loved the environment of football clubs.
“It was a bit of a longshot but I played on the fact that I knew he loved clubs, the environment surrounding a club, and what clubs can give families,” Lethlean said.
When listening to Rath speak about the direction of the game at AFL headquarters over the past couple of years, he comes across as clear and concise, but someone capable of simplifying his insight.
The head of football has an important role in an AFL club. As Lethlean said, they need to be capable of guiding their senior coach and making the tough calls when needed.
Rath was at Hawthorn as now Gold Coast chief executive Mark Evans and current Brisbane coach Chris Fagan forged a successful working relationship with Alastair Clarkson.
He boasts, Lethlean said, “a steely resolve” to ensure a club is well-run and successful.
The competitive drive was even apparent in a City versus Country cricket match in the Saints hub this week, with the Castlemaine-raised Rath determined to ensure a win for the bush.
“I think they have been through a lot together. Their families are close. They have been through some well-publicised ups and downs with Ratts,” Lethlean said.
“Along with Chris Fagan and Mark Evans, having learnt how to manage a very strong and successful coach like Clarko, he has seen what works, what they have done, and how to make sure they stay on the right path.
“That is important because you can’t have the program run by the senior coach only.”
In an interview earlier this season prior to the season resumption, Rath pointed out areas where St Kilda was looking to reshape.
“Under Ratts’ guidance, we have been working on rejigging quite a few things,” he said on SEN.
“If we look at Ratts as a coach, he’s well recognised as a really strong relationship-builder and connector of people, but he’s also tactically very astute and that’s one of his real strengths.
“He’s been working a lot on trying to develop a plan that plays to players’ strengths.”
Ratten, who worked under Clarkson and alongside Rath at Hawthorn after his initial stint as senior coach at Carlton ended, said it was important to understand clubs are collaborative rather than a dictatorship.
“(He has been) enormous in regards to allowing me to focus on my strengths. He is someone who is so experienced and someone who has been involved at the highest level in sport and at the AFL,” he said.
“With his skill-set, he is perfect for me. What is great about the coaching group is the skills that everyone brings (because) a senior coach can’t control everything.
“You play your part as a senior coach, but having people around, we are trying to create this environment that he has helped shape and that is what it is about.
“From a footy sense, he has supported the line coaches by providing them with some direction and giving them assistance in meetings and that is where he comes in, because he has the football nous to see the game and analyse it, but he also has the people nous and the environment knowledge about creating a team as well.
“With what we are trying to do, he has been one of the people who have driven it, so he has played a huge part in our team growth and he is fully supportive of me.
“There is not one guy who is coaching the team. There are a lot of people behind the scenes who make things better.”

can anyone get this article?

Fire versus ice: Wilkie ready to take down Dusty
St Kilda’s mild-mannered accountant Callum Wilkie hasn’t been outmarked in a one-on-one contest this year but is about to run into Dustin Martin, footy’s best one-on-one exponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lethlean said on 3 aw - when asked about Hanners and whether he was worth being picked via trades he said: "I don't care what people think about our trades. i just don't care. " Helped our team last week

i loved it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back