2020 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No room...because we signed MacKay up for another year.

Edwadds v DMac...hmm, which is the better option for our club in the next 5 years? 🤔
Why the assumption that it's even a decision between DMac & Edwards? What makes you think they'd pick Edwards if they did create an extra vacancy by offloading DMac?

It's a question of DMac vs pick 40 or 56 in the draft, and they chose DMac. Not unreasonable, given his performance this year, and his standing in the 2020 B&F.

Why the assumption that it's even a decision between DMac & Edwards? What makes you think they'd pick Edwards if they did create an extra vacancy by offloading DMac?

It's a question of DMac vs pick 40 or 56 in the draft, and they chose DMac. Not unreasonable, given his performance this year, and his standing in the 2020 B&F.
You might be right and it might not have been between the 2 of them. The timing though, of announcing it once the final list numbers were announced, suggested that we felt there was no room on the primary list for Edwards Now. I suppose the fact that we are talking about only taking 4 picks in this draft disappoints me, when we are supposedly in the middle of a rebuild.

Would we not get a father son discount and I’m assuming we couldn’t match a bid?
We would get one, but it's clear he's not on the talent list high enough that we will bother.

Until you remember his age and our standing as a team.
Honestly, I'd prefer DMac mentoring youth that we think might actually make it, over moving him on for another guy we dont think will get there + less support for the ones we think might.

Obviously prefer his mentorship to be mainly off-field, plus a few games here and there to push the youth if absolutely warranted.

Remembering theres a soft cap on club employees...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, I'd prefer DMac mentoring youth that we think might actually make it, over moving him on for another guy we dont think will get there + less support for the ones we think might.

Obviously prefer his mentorship to be mainly off-field, plus a few games here and there to push the youth if absolutely warranted.

Remembering theres a soft cap on club employees...
Nah, he should have been moved on, nothing about the decision makes any sense for a team in rebuild mode.

Nah, he should have been moved on, nothing about the decision makes any sense for a team in rebuild mode.
I feel he's a potential bridge between old + young. Lots of our experienced players i feel might be in a bit of a boys club... dmac from all accounts is professional and hard working... but also approachable and less intimidating for the youngsters than some of the others. If hes minimum wage i see it as a positive healing step for our culture issues.

We cant deny we have some offield issues and need to nurture a new group coming through, this new group is going to establish our new culture. Im ok if dmac helps shape it, theres worse options

I feel he's a potential bridge between old + young. Lots of our experienced players i feel might be in a bit of a boys club... dmac from all accounts is professional and hard working... but also approachable and less intimidating for the youngsters than some of the others. If hes minimum wage i see it as a positive healing step for our culture issues.

We cant deny we have some offield issues and need to nurture a new group coming through, this new group is going to establish our new culture
When have you heard our younger players lauding Mackays influence? When have you seen him interact with the younger players? When has he been in a leadership role?

It’s a bullshit excuse for keeping him

No room...because we signed MacKay up for another year.

Edwadds v DMac...hmm, which is the better option for our club in the next 5 years? 🤔
Hate to honest but the chance of Edwards playing a game for the Crows would minimal if they select him,
And he would not have gotten a game in the first 2 years, at least with MacKay he can fill in if needed for 1 year then clear a space for an SA strong draft in 2021.

When have you heard our younger players lauding Mackays influence? When have you seen him interact with the younger players? When has he been in a leadership role?

I know some people and thats what they say. What makes you so certain of it being a BigChapman conspiracy? That he has nudes of Roo?

Yeah this is probably the one for me.

Don't mean to purposefully knock Mackay for this but I don't recall him ever being someone that others have mentioned as a mentor or leading training sessions - outside of coaches talking about his professionalism.

I know some people and thats what they say. What makes you so certain of it being a BigChapman conspiracy? That he has nudes of Roo?
I’ve not said it’s a conspiracy but another example of a poor decision made by a club with a history of poor decisions who finished bottom because of them.

Yeah this is probably the one for me.

Don't mean to purposefully knock Mackay for this but I don't recall him ever being someone that others have mentioned as a mentor or leading training sessions - outside of coaches talking about his professionalism.
Tom Lynch is that guy.

You might be right and it might not have been between the 2 of them. The timing though, of announcing it once the final list numbers were announced, suggested that we felt there was no room on the primary list for Edwards Now. I suppose the fact that we are talking about only taking 4 picks in this draft disappoints me, when we are supposedly in the middle of a rebuild.
4 picks, plus Hately (who was a 1st round draftee 2 years ago), while leaving 2 senior list positions open for the mid-season drafts - when we finally get a form line on all those Victorian kids who never played a game in 2020.

Until you remember his age and our standing as a team.
It still comes out in DMac's favour, once you look at the stats for players drafted at 40+ and 50+...

Even if he only plays 10 games in 2021, statistically he still comes out ahead of the long term average for players selected at those picks.

So we've essentially rated one year of a 32-year-old Mackay ahead of anyone taken beyond pick 23 in this draft including most of our NGA players.

Why are we bothering with the rookie draft then? There's clearly no one worth taking

Think about Gibbs: retires early to give the youth a spot; three months later, MacKay re-signs! Doh!

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He retired early so the club and Bryce stopped being embarrassed by the trade and him playing out his AFL career in the twos

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back