Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Even had he broke the tackle, by the time he spins, breaks away from the group and looks up to assess, O'Brien would have already hit up a target.

It's simply a bad decision and mimics what nearly cost us the win against Freo. Speed we know he has. I'd rather hear he is improving his decision making in training.

The fact that he couldn't get his hands free from a newly drafted kid is also a bit of an indictment on someone who plays in the guts. I really liked Dow in his draft year but think he is still some way off.

Fair call. Better to happen at training then on game day though.

Definitely has a bit of physical development left in him, but I'm confident he'll be a good player in time.

Likewise mate. Hoping it was just the cobwebs from the break, but the hype took a hit for me today.
I had he same ‘flat’ feeling. But in hindsight: Infelt the drills were pretty meh. Bland stuff. Like long kicking to the boundary? Wtf? Easy end to end stuff with zero pressure? Even the running was meh.

Just a warm up session I think to be honest.

Sounds like Gibbo and mcgov did a lot of running. Hopefully they can continue to have a good preaseason. Pretty obvious how good mcg can be but gibbo may surprise us even more after a good preaseason.
The impressive thing for me was MCG easily kept up with Gibbo. His fitness is though the roof. I’m pretty excited what he can do with ‘repeat efforts’ now in his tool
Kit.

Someone mentioned JSOS played on Cripps in the match sim I think... how did he go against him?
That was me. Just at the boundary drills. Seems like they want to keep ‘run with’ as an option. He did ok on a limited sample....which is better than anyone else who (stupidly) tried to match him at the end of training in some impromptu one on one drills. Silly stuff.

I like this game.

Windows, will Stocker cement his spot in best 22 this year? How many gamesmdoes he play?

Does Gibbons, being injury free play all games?

I confess I don’t watch much of the Northern Blues - can anyone please give their opinion on how close TDK is to consistently playing in the senior side? Am I delusional for assuming he is on track to one day become our #1 ruckman? Is he only likely to play due to others being unavailable, or will he force his way into the team either way?
I know this is all speculation - just keen to know how he is tracking.
At the start of last season in a Northern Blues practice game at punt road he played a cracker of a first half kicked 2 goals, sat on a couple of heads with one mark very impressive playing ruck and forward.
Was easily our best player imo before an opposition player smothered his kick in action which cost him the next 10weeks with the knee.
He'll be a very good ruckman for us down the track but needs time, weight and strength, endurance, exposure against the more seasoned VFL opponents 'ruck and defenders' are areas to improve on...
If he gets a good run at it he should be having a next level for himself type of year but not sure if that will be enough yet too step in for Kruez if needed...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unanimous opinion from all and sundry today:

The Doc is FLYING. To be clear: top 5 in the 500s. Pace superb. Lateral movement of an Olympic gymnast. Sensational kicking. He looks strong and lean. On field coach. He for sure is in absolutely great condition.

I’m as speechless about him this year as I was about S Walsh last.

I like this game.

Windows, will Stocker cement his spot in best 22 this year? How many gamesmdoes he play?

Does Gibbons, being injury free play all games?
No Stocker isn’t showing enough. He’s still back end of the running. Still lacking mobility/agility. Nice kicking and so on but he’d be out of the best 8/9 mids. And a long way behind Willo, Doc, SpS, Simmo and Newman for a running defender role.

Gibbo didn’t train with the main group at all today. The addition of Martin and Betts puts a real squeeze on him. I REALLY like the link up / transition footy he brings to the table. He gets involved in play in a very constructive way. That said- I think he will get games based more on injuries to others. But yes, given I would see 4-6 injuries at any given time as the norm, then I’d expect him to play most games.

Also Cal Twomey was there today. Contrary to popular belief he wasn’t watching the Blues train....he instead was talent scouting (sat 4 rows behind them) BA and Bucky. Who seem chummy btw and made me feel jealous sitting on my own.....I waved...awkwardly....and BA just looked straight through me as if I was made of...

Apologies for that - I don't remember seeing anyone wave amongst the hundreds there lol. Surely you just come up and say G'Day!?

I’m bullish on Ben. I think in 2-3 years he will be terrific. He is moving far more athletically than a year ago. Seems fitter and stronger. Doesn’t do much wrong.
Yep. Finally we can let kids “develop” in the twos instead of putting them straight in to get smashed. Ben will be a good player in time, good size already, knows his footy, can play both ends. A lot to like having kids learn & earn a spot & be very well prepared for that step up.

At the start of last season in a Northern Blues practice game at punt road he played a cracker of a first half kicked 2 goals, sat on a couple of heads with one mark very impressive playing ruck and forward.
Was easily our best player imo before an opposition player smothered his kick in action which cost him the next 10weeks with the knee.
He'll be a very good ruckman for us down the track but needs time, weight and strength, endurance, exposure against the more seasoned VFL opponents 'ruck and defenders' are areas to improve on...
If he gets a good run at it he should be having a next level for himself type of year but not sure if that will be enough yet too step in for Kruez if needed...

Thanks for the info FBB.
I’d love to see him get some time in the AFL - see what he’s got. I love that the club is taking it slow with him and not throwing him to the wolves, but he needs to get some reward for effort soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back