Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah you have to describe it as phenomenal, from where he was heading as a forward until the trial down back he was basically gonesky...
If he continues to improve and tightens a few little areas in his game up which i believe he will he's a massive chance to make the AA side this year...
He's turns 29yrs in March and has only 62 afl games under his belt, he's the type of player who could play for another 4/5 years easily if the speed and athleticism are maintained...
Huh? Jones has played 125 AFL games.

Haven’t seen much of him, but the reports from our well-credentialed training observers don’t fill me with much optimism. If he is added as a replacement for Kemp it will only be for 2020, and - looking at the depth of our list based on the many varied Best 22s on this site - I highly doubt he’d be even considered for a spot in the seniors. Could be a handy player in the VFL.

Harry McKay is considerably bigger in the legs now. I have always felt he was very weak in he lower half. Not any more. He’s clearly been doing a lot of squats/deadlifts etc. I’m a casual/unqualified but somewhat obsessed observer in sports science and from my observation increasingly ‘lack of strength’ is blamed for many injuries. For instance hamstrings: they now do a tonne of Nordic exercises (the ones you’ll recall Shiel being famous for) and the incidence of hamstring injuries seems to be dropping as a result.

I suspect they’ve really loaded McKay up on core work: palof press etc. Along with compound strength work.

He’s a completely different athlete now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another observation:

Russell builds them up very slowly. He increases loads prorgessively. There’s never a noticeably massive change in training volume for a player.

Macreadie and Williamson are examples. They are just ever so slowly but surely being integrated back in to full training. Doc was the same at the end of last year. We will see it with McKay and CC.

He clearly understands that ‘adaptions’ take time. It will be frustrating for us but he long term dividends will definitely be worth it.

Russell builds them up very slowly. He increases loads prorgessively. There’s never a noticeably massive change in training volume for a player.

Macreadie and Williamson are examples. They are just ever so slowly but surely being integrated back in to full training. Doc was the same at the end of last year. We will see it with McKay and CC.

He clearly understands that ‘adaptions’ take time. It will be frustrating for us but he long term dividends will definitely be worth it.

This may be stating the bleeding obvious, but I think Russell is the most important addition to our club in recent times. Clearly having Cripps and Walsh on our list is an amazing luxury, but the physical and athletic improvements in multiple players under Russell’s watch cannot be overlooked - and this is only the beginning. The benefits of his training regimen will be ongoing and even more evident as the years go on.
I really hope he is with us for the long haul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry McKay is considerably bigger in the legs now. I have always felt he was very weak in he lower half. Not any more. He’s clearly been doing a lot of squats/deadlifts etc. I’m a casual/unqualified but somewhat obsessed observer in sports science and from my observation increasingly ‘lack of strength’ is blamed for many injuries. For instance hamstrings: they now do a tonne of Nordic exercises (the ones you’ll recall Shiel being famous for) and the incidence of hamstring injuries seems to be dropping as a result.

I suspect they’ve really loaded McKay up on core work: palof press etc. Along with compound strength work.

He’s a completely different athlete now.
I think a lot of them also are going from boys to men so to speak - i notice it a lot at the preseason jumper presentation. You see them when they start, just kids. I really noticed it with jack last season at the launch. He looked like a ”man” - in a suit with more “size” & facially a harder edge to him. I think around 22-23 their bodies catch up & things just look bigger, stronger. I think all our “boys” are going to hit that peak stage all together & it will all of a sudden click.

Neither. But others do. Would love to be proven wrong.
Despite playing different positions, Webb has the same curse as Nick Graham. He is a very nice player who does everything well and will tear up the lower levels but his leg speed is so bad that he will never be able to perform the same way against the best athletes in the country.

I think a lot of them also are going from boys to men so to speak - i notice it a lot at the preseason jumper presentation. You see them when they start, just kids. I really noticed it with jack last season at the launch. He looked like a ”man” - in a suit with more “size” & facially a harder edge to him. I think around 22-23 their bodies catch up & things just look bigger, stronger. I think all our “boys” are going to hit that peak stage all together & it will all of a sudden click.
bit more to being a man than appearance.........

Despite playing different positions, Webb has the same curse as Nick Graham. He is a very nice player who does everything well and will tear up the lower levels but his leg speed is so bad that he will never be able to perform the same way against the best athletes in the country.

Excellent news, Thy was looking for a Nick G clone for this years bye thread!

Curious as to whether or not this differs markedly from the previous approach by the club - ie. were players previously on modified programs until whatever boxes were ticked, then just thrown back into everything?

The impressive thing for me was MCG easily kept up with Gibbo. His fitness is though the roof. I’m pretty excited what he can do with ‘repeat efforts’ now in his tool
Kit.
Gonna need him and Kennedy this year.

It's good that we've got so many who can play tall this time around, that we can potentially lose both H and Charlie and still have KPF options, even if Kennedy is more leadup/hitup than KPF.

Curious as to whether or not this differs markedly from the previous approach by the club - ie. were players previously on modified programs until whatever boxes were ticked, then just thrown back into everything?

I infer the level of sophistication based on the results. Gone are the bad old days of the club having to coming out at saying “Sam Rowe didn’t further injure his injured knee by playing out the game” #acl

There is purpose to everything the players are put through. I didn’t get the sense the last regime put the thought into individualisation the current one does.

There is a reason all the fanfare was made about AR coming over.

I base all of this on nothing more than observation, from afar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back