Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the last game that Cripps and Doc played together which was Rd 16 2017, and surprisingly Doc spent the whole game in the middle including centre bounces, now while I think Doc should stick to the half back role until he is well and truly back in the groove it does give us an extra rotation option using half back flankers rather than half forward.

We could rotate between say Doc and Stocker or SpS or even Willo if he shows a propensity to play in the guts, just gives us another layer to add to the midfield rotations and is certainly worth exploring further down the track as the more good ball users in the side the better IMO.
Was at that game, would've won had it not been for Crippa going down just b4 halftime, we nearly stole it at the end too, nearly.

Way too much sense for this place

i.e In other words; "I have much more sense than the rest of you".

Once you start proving what you say eventuates, it's nothing more than fluff and posturing and to date, your record is poor......and this is provable.

Once you start proving what you say eventuates, it's nothing more than fluff and posturing and to date, your record is poor.

Interesting....

But happy for the team to provide proof.

I guess SPS was training with the backline last year too

As for my record, it's there for everyone to critique, while you posture on whatifs

Interesting....

But happy for the team to provide proof.

I guess SPS was training with the backline last year too

As for my record, it's there for everyone to critique, while you posture on whatifs

I feel you're good enough to put the brakes on the posturing. I trust you recognise this.

Tell me what that means; "Way too much sense for this place" What is this place and why are pointing the finger at all 'in this place'
This place is for open discourse and not all about, "I know something you don't" The last person that posturised in such a manner has their tail between their legs and doesn't post here any more....because the posturing was just that and resulted in an A-Grade fail

I feel you're good enough to put the brakes on the posturing. I trust you recognise this.

Tell me what that means; "Way too much sense for this place" What is this place and why are pointing the finger at all 'in this place'
This place is for open discourse and not all about, "I know something you don't" The last person that posturised in such a manner has their tail between their legs and doesn't post here any more....because the posturing was just that and resulted in an A-Grade fail

Harks you think in black and white, which is fine, but others don't

You think a midfielders can't play other roles or will be squeezed out because they can't play a "preferred role", yet it is contrary to the facts.

You want to get into detail, fire away and we will dissect it together

Last edited:
So.......who’s on the injury list/rehab atm trackwatchers???

Charlie not doing anything.

McKay and McGovern running, not sure about contact work.

Macreadie sort of the same.

Marchbank close to fully integrated by now?

Nil other concerns, if I remember correctly.

More info to come on Saturday if there is a training session prior to family day.

Once you start proving what you say eventuates, it's nothing more than fluff and posturing and to date, your record is poor......and this is provable.
this from you.........

Marchbank is in my 22. Height shouldn't be an issue, especially when ours are all pretty mobile/athletic/etc. Most of last years 8 played 3 or more taller if/when they had/have access to them. Geelong has Tuohy as the only bloke under 190.

Astbury 195, Rance* 194, Grimes 193, Broad 192, Vlastuin 187, Houli 180, Short 178
Davis 197, Taylor 196, Corr 195, Haynes 193, Reid 188, Perryman 184, Shaw 183 (Williams 'graduated' to the wing)
Blicavs 198, Taylor 195, Kolodjashnij 193, Henry 191, O'Connor 191, Stewart 190, Tuohy 187
Moore 203, Roughead 200, Howe 190, Crisp 190, Maynard 189, Quaynor 180, Noble 180
Barass 196, McGovern 196, Schofield 196, Hurn 187, Nelson 187, Sheppard 187, Jetta 184
Andrews 201, Gardner 193, Adams 192, Starcevich 188, Witherden 188, Rich 183, Ah Chee 182
Young 197, Keath 197, Cordy 193, Wood 187, Suckling 187, Crozier 185, Johannisen 180
Hooker 198, Hurley 193, Francis 192, Ambrose 191, Redman 187, McKenna 184, Saad 178
Jones 199, Weitering 196, Marchbank 193, Plowman 193, Docherty 187, Simpson 1823, SPS 182/Newman 187

I think GWS' setup with Haynes should be very similar to ours with Marchbank: couple of big dogs, a mobile/running interceptor, a bit of a 'mr fix it' stopper, the go-to hbf distributor, smaller guy with a bit of run, another general/hbf/small defender.

Levi will play forward. He's training forward. We don't need him down back (right now... *touch wood*)

Don't think we've really seen O'Brien off halfback, the closest he's got for any sustained period of time is a defensive shutdown role on the wing. Personally if he's not playing wing in the seniors I want him playing wing in the VFL.

Macreadie is so far behind it's not funny. He ain't getting a game ahead of many, and isn't even in full training at the moment. Let's see how he's going in 6 months time.

Newnes might get some time there, think he's more likely to play wing with a bit of rotating through hff flank.

Martin is a mid-fwd, that's where he's training and playing in match sim. Evev though he's played down back before at GCS I'm yet to hear any mention of him doing that for us.

Not disagreeing with your CP or HG comments.
There we go, someone actually made the case for a taller backline!

I'd argue that WC, Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood all have compensating factors for why they can run with a backline that tall, and Brisbane had a stellar organiser in Hodge, plus they only really play a lone giant in Andrews. We either need to come up with such a strategic advantage, or we cannot run with such a tall backline, not with our midfield featuring players of such middling pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May or may not have gone to training today....

cant be sure...

IF i did go and if I felt like sharing...

its possible some encouraging signs regarding progress for MCG were seen. And marchbank. It’s also possible sps stepped ip his running after his recent lay off.

I could be making it up. Can’t say for sure.

it’s also possible mckay did nothing. There’s perhaps a possibility Cunners showed more evidence of his increased tank. And that Jack S showed he’s flying and in full training again. It’s possible Plow did intervals and showed kemp what it’s about

if indeed I DID go today my current round one prediction would be

jones doc Weiters Simmo SPs newman plow

Kreuzer Crippa cunners Walsh setters muprh ed

mcg Kennedy SOs Casboult Martin betts

two of newnes Gibbo and fish. Zero idea which two. I’d be guessing.

of course today wasn’t an open session so how would I know?

cant be sure...

its possible some encouraging signs regarding progress for MCG were seen. And marchbank. It’s also possible sps stepped ip his running after his recent lay off.

it’s also possible mckay did nothing. There’s perhaps a possibility Cunners showed more evidence of his increased tank. And that Jack S showed he’s flying and in full training again. It’s possible Plow did intervals and showed kemp what it’s about

Did you manage to insert yourself into any of the team photos?

cant be sure...

Didn’t know you did fiction?

I thought that Kennedy and Sos would be good together in the same forward line but was scared to share it

I think their hands and creativity would complement marvellously.

Is cunners (hyperthetically) showing more as an out n out Mid?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There we go, someone actually made the case for a taller backline!

I'd argue that WC, Richmond, Geelong and Collingwood all have compensating factors for why they can run with a backline that tall, and Brisbane had a stellar organiser in Hodge, plus they only really play a lone giant in Andrews. We either need to come up with such a strategic advantage, or we cannot run with such a tall backline, not with our midfield featuring players of such middling pace.
Has nothing to do with height, only mobility

Same pace/speed/agility, I would always take the taller option

There’s plenty of factors. Ability to read the ball/play to stay involved is a massive one too: be it ball in hand, defending the man and using space both offensively and defensively. It you’re always in the right spot you don’t necessarily have to be faster/more mobile/etc than your opponent.

In the middle we’ve got Ed and Walsh, both great runners, then Murph who’s pretty good and Cripps who seemingly has improved in that area too. Setters appears to be running well, then there’s the likes of Cuningham, Fisher and Martin who’ll rotate through and possibly Newnes/O’Brien. Age Footy published an article this arvo (?) about Marchbank possibly playing on a wing, and we’ve all heard the recent comments about him being our 4th or 5th best runner.

Could be a starting lineup like this:
FB: Plow, Jones, Simpson
HB: Doc, Weit, SPS
FOL: Kreuz, Murph, Ed
C: Marbank, Cripps, Wash
HF: Martin, Levi, DC
FF: Eddie, Harry, Gov
INT: Newman, Setters, Fish, Newnes/Jack/O’Brien/Kennedy/Gibbons/Dow/etc

Marchbank the defensive winger, back side of the square and effectively acting as the 7th on field defender, DC and Martin coming up, etc. We could see Doc, SPS, Simmo and Newman at times venture higher up the ground from their defensive posts too... we all know Newy loves having a ping from 50 out...

There’s a decent spread of running types - endurance, burst, silky steps, etc - and I don’t think there‘s too many plodders.

It’s going to be really interesting watching it shape up with the preseason games in the lead up to round 1.

I thought that Kennedy and Sos would be good together in the same forward line but was scared to share it

I’m sure I wouldn’t know. Not based on tosay that’s for sure.

but I’d guess he’s flying. As a mid. If I’d gone today I’m sure I’d have seen more of that.

Thats interesting, as at the moment im totally the opposite, im not sure they can co exist, well, when we play Charlie, Harry and Gov. I only see room for one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back