Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

TDK won't work for round 1...I know that. Grimes and co would have a field day. Too raw and needs time.

Curnow isn't there. McKay unlikely and McGovern?
We don't really now and if Casboult goes down?

I think we'll be surprised by Tdk this year, given what I've seen to date....a d opportunity is a wonderful thing.

I have a diffenrt take Bowan

Our backline best side has one 4th year (sps)
Our best forward line has no 1-4 year players
Our Mids have setters (a 4th year) and Walsh (who is really 25.)

our side won 6/10 before the rubbish Cats game.

it COULD be closer than you think. And the fact it COULD be argues for conservAtive selection until things are more clear.

it’s very possible we could get in a run later in the year and make finals. I don’t want to miss that by a game because we got games into TDk.

it’s closer than you think. Trust me.
This. Our best 22 is really not that young in terms of being able to perform, do they have improvement? yes but have a look at when good players start playing good football and we should see huge improvements this year.
Our entire spine are old enough. Have a look at what age most good KPF’s start performing. This is the age they should be pushing to be AA. Up the other end we have Weitering who I think most of us expect to be in consideration for AA and Jones who is in his prime years. Marchbank, MMG and Plowman are our other talls and they are all in their prime years.
I think maybe we are a little nervous about putting expectations onto this group but the amount of times I have seen it mentioned how special this group is I see no real reason why we shouldn’t be in that group from 7-10 There are obvious reasons why sometimes you don’t end up finishing in that spot but I do expect that to be our standard.

Curnow isn't there. McKay unlikely and McGovern?
We don't really now and if Casboult goes down?

I think we'll be surprised by Tdk this year, given what I've seen to date....a d opportunity is a wonderful thing.
I agree totally on TDK, The week I saw on Sunny Coast he competed well in ruck, has a great leap, grabbed a few good running leap marks down the line. Limited sample ofcourse but he looked to offer more than Pittonet..

Because it's clear you have gone best available over structure and somewhat contradicts your line about Richmond running us off our feet if we had TDK in instead of Kennedy in the first option, yet McKay would get the nod over Kennedy in the second option

TDK is just as agile as McKay
TDK might just be a spanner in the works for that Richmond defence.

Do you know what happened to Newnes? I think Dow has a sore calf in sunny coast. Could be lingering.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Newnes OK now but Dow spent time in the middle getting lower leg massaged.

Nothing in particular to write home about today, although just seeing Marchbank and Macreadie involved is good.

By the way.... No Casboult

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off topic...anyone able to repost that photo of Kemp running laps at training, where he looks like he's had 8 pre-seasons? My Essendon mates are saying that Cripps is a beast (as a compliment, you can imagine how rare that is from them), want to send them the pic of Kemp so that they know what's coming next...

Edit: Loving all these training updates/reports...thanks to all!

Forward line is certainly becoming an area of concern with McKay and Charlie almost certain to be unavailable early in the year.

Martin Casboult Cuningham
Betts McGovern Silvagni

With Kennedy rotating through as well.

JSOS suddenly becomes super important as the 3rd tall, bringing the ball to ground for us whenever possible and using his elite scrambling ability.

Hopefully this is enough firepower to get us some wins in the first half of the year. Not ideal at all.

It actually looks pretty good to me despite missing our 2 key pillars in Charlie & McKay...which speaks well of our depth these days.

IF:
Casboult can maintain his 2019 form
McGovern is fitter and can play to a higher standard we know he's capable of
JSOS & Kennedy can improve slightly (particularly their overhead marking)
The addition of Betts & Martin has the positive impact we hope it will
Cuningham can stay on the park

It's actually a pretty good forward line still imo.
We could even look at playing Cripps up forward a bit more.

Of course we'd miss Charlie's superstar abilities and McKay's height - but i reckon it's good enough to get some wins.

It actually looks pretty good to me despite missing our 2 key pillars in Charlie & McKay...which speaks well of our depth these days.

IF:

Of course we'd miss Charlie's superstar abilities and McKay's height - but i reckon it's good enough to get some wins.

It certainly is much more dangerous than last year. And we were able to get some wins late with a mildly fit McGovern and a clearly sore McKay, so that is reassuring.

IF:

Yep. I was just watching our 2019 highlights on YouTube, and was surprised how many times JSOS and Kennedy popped up during the latter half of the year. They can both play forward and have the craft to be damaging.

Glad I didn't leave.
Full ground match sim has been fabulous.
So much to like from it.

Orange side better and the midfield of Setterfield , Walsh, Murphy and Walsh a huge difference.

Setterfield and Cripps both with time forward and both looked. Good.
any of the four guys vying for that rookie spot there?

Okay, best available rather than a specific structure

Yes and no. I think it's a balance of the two.

I wouldn't go all out best available. But I also wouldn't select guys that are not ready or not good enough just to maintain a specific structure.

I think you start with a basic structure -
  • 2-3 tall targets (one who can relief ruck)
  • At least one small/crumbing guy
  • Fill the rest with guys that can kick goals, offer pressure and can play up the ground a bit.
You pick the most productive 6-7 guys that can fill that general brief.

I'm not going to go hardcore best available and end playing 6 talls or 6 smalls...... But I'm also not going to stick so closely to a structure that I end up playing my 10th best forward over 3rd best.

Someone like McGovern could play as a 2nd tall if needed but also play alongside Harry and Charlie as a 3rd banana.

Tldr: best available..... Within reason

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back