2020 VFL season - standalone focus only

Remove this Banner Ad

really disappointing new re Preston. Whilst there wasn't much left of the club at least it was there in some way.

Agree, perhaps they could merge with the VAFA team and look to become a strong NFNL club

Love to see all VFL clubs survive in some way even it’s in other competitions like WRFL EDFL MPNFL or EFL .
Think the VFL we cease to exist unfortunately.
I just hope and prey players officials and supporters from those clubs can all stick together

So essentially as a result of this year next year the vfl Comp will end up a afl reserves comp

all standalone vfl clubs will go under?
I would suggest that it might go the other way. The AFL has publically touted the idea of cutting its player list by 100. This would cut significantly into club reserve lists or the AFLW may even go. It is likely that club's like Footscray, North Melbourne and any other smaller club's which have Reserve teams may have to give those away and go back to affiliation with existing VFA or major regional club's in order to round out the teams to create a viable VFL comp. I am aware that prior to the COVID crisis that the North Ballarat Roosters were declined a VFL licence as a stand alone entity despite having several million in reserve. The VFL may be forced to have a change of heart and forced to come back to some of those clubs that they have rejected and drove out of their league on bended knee. I'd love to see that. The North Ballarat Roosters may well find themselves re-instated as a VFL team affiliated with Bulldogs or North Melbourne again after all.

The COVID crisis seemingly hasn't financially impacted regional leagues with the Ballarat Courier reporting only yesterday that all BFNL teams had indicated that they were confident of riding out the crisis without too much detriment to their operations.

Last edited:
So essentially as a result of this year next year the vfl Comp will end up a afl reserves comp

I've always been wary of the "support" AFL Vic would give the standalone clubs when push came to shove. Does the AFL / AFL Vic care about Willy, Port, Coburg, Werribee and Frankston? Would they care about Casey, Box Hill and Sandy if / when they are set adrift by their AFL masters?

Got my doubts. They only want AFL Reserve teams.

Those great clubs might have to be the "rebel" (again) and fend for themselves I'm afraid. Perhaps its possible in a lower cost competition, or sadly retreat to a local comp.

I've always been wary of the "support" AFL Vic would give the standalone clubs when push came to shove. Does the AFL / AFL Vic care about Willy, Port, Coburg, Werribee and Frankston? Would they care about Casey, Box Hill and Sandy if / when they are set adrift by their AFL masters?

Got my doubts. They only want AFL Reserve teams.

Those great clubs might have to be the "rebel" (again) and fend for themselves I'm afraid. Perhaps its possible in a lower cost competition, or sadly retreat to a local comp.

Time to relaunch a real VFL and invite a few of the more powerful local clubs to form a true stand alone state level competition. Maybe even align these clubs with local leagues or zones rather than afl clubs so they have genuine links back to the community they represent.

Last edited:

That's one of the possibilities, but the least likely, in my opinion.

I believe the most likely course of action is that the VFL will run this season as a shortened comp with only the stand alone clubs, plus Casey, Box Hill and Sandringham functioning as such, as AFL sides are cutting as many costs as they can as will rest their sides for the year.

The stand alone sides are having weekly contact meetings to support each other and try to come up with ideas on how to survive in this new landscape, which is super encouraging.

That's one of the possibilities, but the least likely, in my opinion.

I believe the most likely course of action is that the VFL will run this season as a shortened comp with only the stand alone clubs, plus Casey, Box Hill and Sandringham functioning as such, as AFL sides are cutting as many costs as they can as will rest their sides for the year.

The stand alone sides are having weekly contact meetings to support each other and try to come up with ideas on how to survive in this new landscape, which is super encouraging.

That is encouraging, good to see long time fierce rivals talking for the common good.

Doubt all but I do not see much of Coburg and Springvale in what was left anyway.
So if they can just salvage their club name and join in some other suburban or ammos comp it would be better than total end that has happened for Preston.
Also not sure what happens with Box Hill Mustangs.
I more confident Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Sandringham will survive as I think they still have some following of some sort in community.
Frankston and Werribee probably too.
But I cannot see enough old VFA clubs left to have their own comp long term.

I honestly think the clubs capable of taking over a TAC team and turning an underage comp into under 21 or under 19's is their best way to just keep their name and re-purpose their club for this century we are in.

For 2020 though it might have to be play out with the season with the AFL clubs reserves sides.

The old VFA clubs are in toughest situation of all imo if they try the something else.

Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Sandringham
Werribee
Frankston
Coburg

Playing each other home and away and a final 4 series is probably the best hope for 2020 if they do it alone.
Long term cannot see point of it as a comp as it be off the radar to most.
The clubs themselves have to make themselves relevant to AFL pathway for the future and up to each to decide.

Could the old VFA/VFL clubs that are in the local leagues come back to form a new VFA (call it the VFA too)
Berwick Wickers (AFL Outer East)
Ballarat Swans (Ballarat Football League)
Geelong West GIANTS (Geelong Football League)
Kilsyth Cougars (Eastern Football Netball League)
Mordialloc Bloods (Southern Football Netball League)
North Ballarat Roosters (Ballarat Football League)
Prahran Two Blues (VAFA)
Preston Bullants (VAFA)
Traralgon Maroons (Gippsland League)
University Students (VAFA)

Box Hill Mustangs
Casey Scorpions
Coburg Lions
Frankston Dolphins
Port Melbourne Borough
Sandringham Zebras
Werribee Tigers
Williamstown Seagulls

This creates an 18 team competition of solely VFA STAND ALONE clubs

Could the old VFA/VFL clubs that are in the local leagues come back to form a new VFA (call it the VFA too)
No the fans that made it such a good comp have virtually all gone.
It was something for the 1960's, 70's and early 80's. That is well past 35 years ago now....

It was A Sunday league too, that is no longer the niche role that historical old league had in those times.
It's gone. All that can be salvaged is the names of the few remaining cub themselves and re-purposed for a different century and very different circumstances.
The league itself and why it existed has long gone with the generations that made it what it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A new Sunday VFL competition would gain some momentum but may need a few more clubs from either Eastern ,NFL,MPFL,WRFL or maybe 1 or 2 strong VAFA Clubs with the remaining VFL clubs involved but may have to think outside the circle on how it could be run EG:Budgets TV Streaming ect ect.
I don’t want the Port Melbourne,Williamstown,Coberg,
Sandringham,Frankston and hopefully Preston can comeback.

I'm at the point where I can only see them existing in local leagues.

EFL: Box Hill, Casey
NFL: Preston
WRFL: Werribee, Williamstown, Port Melbourne
SFL: Sandringham
EDFL: Coburg
MPFNL: Frankston

The WRFL will be a duopoly with the occasional Werribee flag

I'm at the point where I can only see them existing in local leagues.
Totally convinced as long as finances are not totally ****ed after this year all of Port Melbourne, Williamstown and Sandringham re-purposing what they do and possibly taking over a TAC club type role, keeping their name and jumpers or if AFL go down to lists of 35, they will still be an important senior team role and a re-vamped strong second tier comp here.
But I believe Coburg, Box Hill and Springvale are best going into their respective leagues that strongest for their part of Melbourne.

AN EASTERN seaboard league shapes as a possible solution to the second-tier competition conundrum facing the AFL.

Under the concepts raised at last week's talent pathways committee meetings, AFL.com.auunderstands one proposal could see the Sydney, Greater Western Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast reserves sides join the Victorian clubs' competition in 2021.

There is significant doubt among clubs around the future of the NEAFL, while the VFL is also facing change, with Carlton having already departed from its long-standing partnership with the Northern Blues as a result of the financial implications of COVID-19.

While the South Australian and West Australian AFL clubs may also alter their second-tier set ups depending on list cuts, a national reserves competition was all but ruled out by West Coast boss Trevor Nisbett on the weekend, who said it would be "too expensive" for the Eagles to be a part of it.

The northern clubs are conscious their young players outside of the senior team will need a strong standard of second-tier competition to develop, with their addition to the VFL under consideration.

The potential of the reserves players from the four northern lists combining to form one side has been raised but is viewed as more unlikely within clubs.

The talent pathways subcommittee linked up twice last week having been formed in late April to guide the AFL on its future plans.

Among the discussion points was the AFL's interest in turning the NAB League competition in Victoria to an under-19 competition to allow those overlooked at this year's draft to play again next year.

The draft age is set to remain at 18, but opening the competition to 19-year-olds would allow clubs to draft out of two age groups.

The talent panel includes senior coaches Alastair Clarkson (Hawthorn), Chris Fagan (Brisbane) and Luke Beveridge (Western Bulldogs), Brisbane chief executive Greg Swann and the AFL's Andrew Dillon and Tristan Salter.

A fourth coach – Richmond's two-time premiership leader Damien Hardwick – also provided his views within the panel last week having been sought out.

Hardwick, like Beveridge, is among the senior coaches to have developed under Clarkson at the Hawks as an assistant before winning a top job elsewhere.

The League has also turned to list managers Stephen Wells (Geelong) and Ned Guy (Collingwood), and Giants football boss Jason McCartney (who was formerly the club's list manager) for their expertise to assist the talent panel.

The NEAFL existed basically because the four northern teams needed more than one other AFL club to play against. Downsizing to NSWFL and the QAFL is a no brainer, it'll make it much easier on all those clubs as well.

There will be no AFL Reserves comp. they could not afford It before COVID-19 let alone after it

May 11 will be the big day which will go some idea of what happens in 2020

at this stage they are looking at a 7-8 team competition over around 11 rounds If it goes ahead with NO AFL players

Teams: Box Hill, Casey, Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Werribee, Williamstown. (not sure on Sandy)

for 2021 it could easily have 20 teams Tasmania are in for sure plus possibly the 4 AFL Reserves NEAFL Teams.

there is too much speculation let’s just see what happens.

Last edited:
8 vfl stand alone clubs are meeting today via video to continue to look at ways of getting in some sort of season this year

after confirmation from AFL today of no AFL players will be able to play state League footy this year

Attachments

• 7EC671FA-8690-452C-99B0-B8377204A82D.jpeg
    7EC671FA-8690-452C-99B0-B8377204A82D.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 117
Can't wait for 2021 already, have a strong feeling/understanding that VFL standalone clubs are going to come out of this whole thing much stronger than they are now.

They may lose their licences to compete in the VFL, but that dosen't mean they will cease to exist all together. I'd wager the clubs could end up in various suburban leagues or the VAFA. I can't speak for the other sides, but Port has a relationship with the SFL already, as our womens side plays there. Frankston was actively courted by the MPFL when they were booted from the VFL a few years ago, as well.

They may lose their licences to compete in the VFL, but that dosen't mean they will cease to exist all together. I'd wager the clubs could end up in various suburban leagues or the VAFA. I can't speak for the other sides, but Port has a relationship with the SFL already, as our womens side plays there. Frankston was actively courted by the MPFL when they were booted from the VFL a few years ago, as well.
In 2016 when Frankston were out of VFL for 1 season the club was told it was not wanted in MPNFL if it went that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back