Training 2021/22 Preseason Thread Lessssf*ngo

Remove this Banner Ad

I went along for a bit.
They played a handball game, kind of like rugby in the sense that the aim was to move the ball by hand into the opposition ‘end zone’, on a ‘pitch’ the size of a basket ball court.
Quick movement, end to end stuff. Aim was to take on the tackler and move forward at all times.
Nobes chastised a couple of players for backwards handballs, saying such things invite pressure - move forward!
Spicer, Phillips, Bailey Scott & Mahoney stood out here with good evasion, drawing the man and running through the defence.
Spicer got told off at one stage for giving - but not going meaning his teammate got caught without an option.
LDU got caught a few times.
Lachie Young was good too - nailing X in a good tackle he didn’t like.
CCJ looked huge, but did well for a big bloke considering the skille set required.
Good game. The players enjoyed the competition, we’re getting good skills and being creative.
Saw JHF up close. Big unit. Gave he and Arch a nod and said welcome. Looked like they were loving life. So they should. Cracking day…
And with that.
The first day of preseason.
A shitfull 2021 is done. (It got better as it went on)
Onward and upward.

Does anyone think we play Souv, CCJ/Goldy and Comben forward at the same time?

Think Noble's two ruck approach is to avoid having three tall forwards.

Comben's best hope may be at CHB.

I can see it once goldy retires and xerri takes the spot.
but right now we've got so many good meduim sized half forwards I dont think we can play all 3.
Dont think comben can play CBH but he could maybe play a utility role even though I think his best position is in the forward line.
Darcy Moore type

At times we could look like this fwd

stevo. CCJ. JHF

comden. Larkey. Spicer

yep 100%
Larkey CCJ and Zurhaar will be our 3 tall forwards.
Goldy rucking.
Zurhaar will create great match ups. on 3rd talls.

I could see all 3 of Larkey CCJ and Comben playing in the same forward line

then when Goldy has a spell on the bench CCJ pinch hits ruck and we still have 2 key tall forwards

then when Goldy has a spell on the bench CCJ pinch hits ruck and we still have 2 key tall forwards
I will be happy if you are correct. It will mean Comben has forced his way into the team.
I cant see us playing 3 x 195cm key forwards + Zurhaar in one team. We would never be able to keep the ball in the forward 50.
Any attempt to do a best 22 ends up pushing our gun mids to the flanks.
I don't see how we make space to play all those key forwards.
I hope your right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will be happy if you are correct. It will mean Comben has forced his way into the team.
I cant see us playing 3 x 195cm key forwards + Zurhaar in one team. We would never be able to keep the ball in the forward 50.
I hope your right.
I’ve got it as the below atm

B: Turner Mckay Corr
HB: Ziebell Walker Hall
C: Powell LDU McDonald
HF: Thomas Comben Sleevo
F: Taylor Larkey Zurhaar
R: Goldy Simpkin Phillips
I: CCJ, JHF, Bonar,greenwood

Emg: Goater Jed Ford Lazzaro Hayden Mahony Xerri Perez scott

Cunners unavailable

I hope your right.
Have you seen Comben tackle? I wouldn't want he and CZ chasing me down - especially when Jed and JHF are only a few metres away.

Don't worry we'll be able to lock it in inside 50 - even with a bigger bodied forward line.

I hope your right.

You could play 1 ruckman behind the ball to help the defence

I went along for a bit.
They played a handball game, kind of like rugby in the sense that the aim was to move the ball by hand into the opposition ‘end zone’, on a ‘pitch’ the size of a basket ball court.
Quick movement, end to end stuff. Aim was to take on the tackler and move forward at all times.
Nobes chastised a couple of players for backwards handballs, saying such things invite pressure - move forward!
Spicer, Phillips, Bailey Scott & Mahoney stood out here with good evasion, drawing the man and running through the defence.
Spicer got told off at one stage for giving - but not going meaning his teammate got caught without an option.
LDU got caught a few times.
Lachie Young was good too - nailing X in a good tackle he didn’t like.
CCJ looked huge, but did well for a big bloke considering the skille set required.
Good game. The players enjoyed the competition, we’re getting good skills and being creative.
Saw JHF up close. Big unit. Gave he and Arch a nod and said welcome. Looked like they were loving life. So they should. Cracking day…
I always enjoy hearing about the more novel training exercises, cheers for the description.

Don't discount the possibility of Goldy and CCJ/Comben/Whoever outright going halves as ruck/forwards. More forward time will be kinder on Goldy's body and also allow the younger crop to get more ruck time in which is also a boon.

To also add, forwards still need to work on their defensive side too, you don’t just lead up every single game especially if you know your key defender usually tracks up the ground.

I tend to agree but I think he would allow a 3 tall setup when matchups require it and play back as well

it would provide great flexibility if he can play both ends

Last edited:
This won't surprise anyone but Arch's attack on a leading footy is ridiculous. Everyone else in this drill is going at maybe half rat power and fair enough too. Arch has flat out shoved off his man, sprinted at the footy, and had to go hard above his head to pull in the mark three times in a row. They've all stuck

His long wait is finally over, i can't wait to watch him!

Maybe Larkey’s best hope is CHB.

yep 100%
Larkey CCJ and Zurhaar will be our 3 tall forwards.
Goldy rucking.
Zurhaar will create great match ups. on 3rd talls.
Didn’t we draft CCJ with him wanting more of a rucking role rather than forward?

Might be an unpopular opinion, but Goldy’s contract expires at the end of 2022.
Depending on how things pan out, this could be the last time he goes around. Didn’t finish top 10 in the B&F last year.

Round 1, 2023: CCJ & Xerri rotating ruck with Comben at CHF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back