AFLW 2021 AFLW Awards for Outstanding Achievements in the Field of Excellence

Remove this Banner Ad

A mixed bag with the All-Australian selections. At least one dubious pick on every line (although different to the ones I anticipated), balanced out with the likes of Moody finally getting in and Parker not being snubbed despite less buzz around her.

Dakota Davidson missing out is a nice way to really feed into that BS about Brisbane having no stars. If it was picked after Saturday, I'm guessing they wouldn't have also left out Koenen from the team let alone the squad, but whatcha gonna do.

Thankfully Tyla Hanks got the Rising Star award, since I don't know how she missed out on the AA team, but this really needs to be the last season that 21-year-olds can win it.

Last edited:
Good to see Moody get the gig as 1st ruck. She is a very, very handy footballer. Was starting to dominate towards the end of the season.
Cannot argue with the HB line.

Thankfully Tyla Hanks got the Rising Star award, since I don't know how she missed out on the AA team, but this really needs to be the last season that 21-year-olds can win it.
I'm not as fussed about age, but I'd like to see them re-jig the other part of eligibility. Get rid of the 'not previously nominated' part and have a games played cutoff somewhere around 5 games instead. As it stands you have 2019 first rounders in Georgostathis and Watson who have played every game since being drafted who are still eligible next year - similar to Hanks this year. I can deal with girls turning 21 winning the award if they're coming from obscurity, but that really hasn't been the case the last couple of years.

2021 AFLW best and fairest leaderboard
Bri Davey (Collingwood) - 15 votes
Kiara Bowers (Fremantle) - 15 votes
Alyce Parker (GWS) - 14 votes
Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs) - 14 votes
Karen Paxman (Melbourne) - 13 votes
Anne Hatchard (Adelaide) - 13 votes
Monique Conti (Richmond) - 12 votes
Brittany Bonnici (Collingwood) - 12 votes

Last edited:
Quite the thrilling count in the end. Coming into the final round, it almost seemed like my pre-season Paxman tip was destined to steal it, not that it was a surprise to see Zanker ultimately named BOG in that Melbourne v Brisbane game.

Bowers and Davey: 4 ruptured ACLs and now 1 League B&F between them. A heartening result for all the Nina Morrisons out there.

What was with Dick Goyder not knowing which city he was in, by the way? Played it off smooth tho.

Club-by-club votes:

Adelaide (39 votes)
A. Hatchard – 13
E. Marinoff – 11
E. Phillips – 8
C. Randall – 3
D. Ponter – 2
C. Scheer – 2

Brisbane (34 votes)
A. Anderson – 9
E. Bates – 6
D. Davidson – 5
L. Arnell – 4
C. Svarc – 4
I. Dawes – 2
T. Smith – 2
J. Wardlaw – 2

Carlton (27 votes)
M. Prespakis – 10
G. Egan – 7
D. Vescio – 4
B. Moody – 3
N. Stevens – 2
K. Harrington – 1

C’wood (43 votes)
B. Davey – 15
B. Bonnici – 12
C. Molloy – 6
J. Lambert – 4
A. Newman – 3
R. Schleicher – 2
S. Alexander – 1

Fremantle (33 votes)
K. Bowers – 15
G. Houghton – 8
H. Miller – 4
S. Duffy – 3
G. O’Sullivan – 2
T. Haynes – 1

Geelong (5 votes)
L. Gardiner – 2
M. McDonald – 2
A. McDonald – 1

Gold Coast (6 votes)
K. Howarth – 3
A. Drennan – 2
J. Stanton – 1

GWS Giants (25 votes)
A. Parker – 14
R. Beeson – 7
C. Staunton – 2
A. Eva – 1
J. Dal Pos – 1

Melbourne (42 votes)
K. Paxman – 13
T. Hanks – 8
L. Mithen – 5
L. Pearce – 4
E. Zanker – 4
T. Cunningham – 3
D. Pearce – 3
S. Scott – 2

North Melb. (36 votes)
A. Riddell – 10
J. Garner – 9
J. Bruton – 8
E. Kearney – 4
E. King – 4
T. Randall – 1

Richmond (25 votes)
M. Conti – 12
E. McKenzie – 6
K. Brennan – 5
K. Dempsey – 1
G. Seymour – 1

St Kilda (18 votes)
G. Patrikios – 7
C. Greiser – 4
T. Smith – 3
K. Shierlaw – 2
T. Lucas-Rodd – 1
T. White – 1

West Coast (18 votes)
M. Bowen – 5
N. Kelly – 3
A. McCarthy – 3
M. Collier – 2
E. Swanson – 2
C. Perera – 1

W. Bulldogs (27 votes)
E. Blackburn – 14
K. Lamb – 5
B. Toogood – 3
I. Huntington – 2
B. Lochland – 2
J. Fitzgerald – 1

What did we think of Tayla Harris season. I feel she maybe going to move on and play another sport or focus on her boxing career. Not to sure if she still got her heart in the footy anymore. She was a great footballer a couple of years ago. I do hope she stays on and plays in the footy though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a few instances of this in recent years: Round 3, Richmond v Collingwood. 1 vote to Aliesha Newman for her performance of 6 disposals, 0 goals and 0 tackles which saw her dropped for the next game.

Whereas 0 votes went to fellow helmetted Collingwood player Brittany Bonnici who had 31 disposals and 4 tackles.

Or 0 votes to similarly numbered Aishling Sheridan (she wears 14, Newman wears 16, both are forwards) who had 10 ten disposals, 2 goals and 3 tackles.

Been a few instances of this in recent years: Round 3, Richmond v Collingwood. 1 vote to Aliesha Newman for her performance of 6 disposals, 0 goals and 0 tackles which saw her dropped for the next game.

Whereas 0 votes went to fellow helmetted Collingwood player Brittany Bonnici who had 31 disposals and 4 tackles.

Or 0 votes to similarly numbered Aishling Sheridan (she wears 14, Newman wears 16, both are forwards) who had 10 ten disposals, 2 goals and 3 tackles.
What the hell. Surely there should be a situation in place where they can confirm whether that's actually the player they were intending to vote for? That is just amateur. I'm not saying that 1 vote should have gone to Bonnici 100%, but I'm just pleased she finished 3 votes off the win instead of a situation where she missed out by 1.

What the hell. Surely there should be a situation in place where they can confirm whether that's actually the player they were intending to vote for? That is just amateur. I'm not saying that 1 vote should have gone to Bonnici 100%, but I'm just pleased she finished 3 votes off the win instead of a situation where she missed out by 1.
My guess, the system is to not worry until it affects the would-be winner. That's what happened last year in the SANFLW: Anne Hatchard had, I dunno, a billion disposals but a teammate also wearing long-sleeves (who had... less impact during the match) got the BOG. The votes were altered after the count, which allowed Hatchard to finish in equal-first.

There was an AFL game where Marley Williams had a solid-ish game and inexplicably got the 3 votes... Not sure who anyone would mistake him for though?

My guess, the system is to not worry until it affects the would-be winner. That's what happened last year in the SANFLW: Anne Hatchard had, I dunno, a billion disposals but a teammate also wearing long-sleeves (who had... less impact during the match) got the BOG. The votes were altered after the count, which allowed Hatchard to finish in equal-first.

I reckon that call set a dangerous precedent. Altering a decision after the fact, regardless of how blatant the human error was, leaves everything open to change. I would wager that if the alteration knocked another player from outright first into second then there would be a much bigger conversation to be had. It was just fortuitous that the situation allowed for a tie.

Anyway, it’s in the past now, and I really like Hatchard as a player, but I don’t think post-event correction is the sort of path any league should go down, otherwise people would rightly ask why it couldn’t be applied to match outcomes too.

Bonnicci had 31 disposals in that game and a perfect 10 from the coaches. If she polled the 3 votes in that game then she would have tied with Bowers and Davey would have missed out. But the umps didn’t recognise her.

For my own reference, but in case others find it useful, dates for yet-to-be-held club B&F nights are as follows.

Brisbane: 23 April
Carlton: 23 April
Pies: 23 April
Bulldogs: 24 April
North: 28 April
GWS: 29 April
Melbourne: 30 April
Fremantle: 30 April

Adelaide & St Kilda: I'm not sure (although the Saints took forever last year).

Last edited:

Schleicher runner-up, correct! Molloy sixth, still lower than deserved but at least in the top ten this year!

Collingwood AFLW Best and Fairest 2021
1st: Brianna Davey (158 votes)
2nd: Ruby Schleicher (93 votes)
3rd: Brittany Bonnici (91 votes)
4th: Jaimee Lambert (77 votes)
5th: Stacey Livingstone (48 votes)
6th: Chloe Molloy (47 votes)
7th: Sharni Norder (24 votes)
8th: Aishling Sheridan (23 votes)
9th: Tarni Brown (21 votes)
10th: Lauren Butler (16 votes)

First time a full forward (if you want to call Vescio that, and I do) has won an AFLW club B&F outright (Greiser was one of the winners in St Kilda's four-way tie last year).

Carlton AFLW Best and Fairest 2021
1st: Darcy Vescio (66 votes)
2nd: Nicola Stevens (53 votes)
3rd: Kerryn Harrington (49 votes)
4th: Madison Prespakis (38 votes)
=5th: Georgia Gee (34 votes)
=5th: Grace Egan (34 votes)
7th: Gabriella Pound (31 votes)
8th: Breann Moody (29 votes)
9th: Jess Hosking (27 votes)
10th: Elise O'Dea (26 votes)

Moody somehow only 8th, ridiculous.

Brisbane AFLW Best and Fairest 2021
1st: Ally Anderson (155 votes)
2nd: Orla O'Dwyer (150 votes)
3rd: Breanna Koenen (147 votes)
4th: Kate Lutkins (146 votes)
5th: Cathy Svarc (145 votes)
6th: Emily Bates (143 votes)
7th: Sophie Conway (140 votes)
8th: Isabel Dawes (139 votes)
9th: Greta Bodey (133 votes)
10th: Nat Grider (131 votes)

Worth pointing out Brisbane's most decorated players back when they were in a one-team state are also their most decorated players since the Suns joined the competition. Club B&F winners from 2017 to 2019 were Bates, Lutkins and Anderson. Those three have respectively won the 2020 club B&F, the 2021 grand final BOG, and now the 2021 club B&F.

For my own reference, but in case others find it useful, dates for yet-to-be-held club B&F nights are as follows.

Brisbane: 23 April
Carlton: 23 April
Pies: 23 April
Bulldogs: 24 April
North: 28 April
GWS: 29 April
Melbourne: 30 April
Fremantle: 30 April

Adelaide & St Kilda: I'm not sure (although the Saints took forever last year).

St Kilda’s women’s Twitter said their B&F is scheduled for Thursday 6 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back