AFL 2021 Brownlow Medal (any results after no posting is automatic card)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Hope everyone went well on Sunday night. Personally I made 5x my outlay which was nice, helped mainly by a 63/1 multi of top 5, 10 and 20 place getters boosted by Boak top 10 $3.20, Guthrie top 20 $1.64 and Mills top 20 $2.63.

Would’ve loved Oliver to miss out on the 3 in the final round as I had Wines/Bont/Walsh tri in order and boxed but that’s the way the cookie crumbles at times.

Ive done my own spreadsheet and count for a few years now but in nowhere near the detail I find on some counts here.

Is anyone willing to share a blank spreadsheet with some more detail? I’m not great with computers but have figured out how to make an automatic leaderboard as I enter in round votes but that’s as far as I can get.

TIA
I posted the basic template I made at the start of the year in the thread. It's here.

Sorry, I did not create the discord to share spreadsheets, I apologise if you felt used, I said this in the discord. I created it for a place we can discuss that is offline, to share tips, and share notifications for when markets drop.

I wasn't involved but the allegation was that you shared absolutely nothing yourself.

Care to comment on that?

“"We don't get stats, so we can just go on the umpires feel and best & fairest on the day that we think" AFL Umpire Brett Rosebury (Tuesday) on allocating Brownlow votes via @SportsdayWA

Explains why Macrae and Kelly didn't poll as expected.

One of the more mins boggling 3 votes for the season, both players well ahead of Kelly in that game

I will say that 2nd quarter by Kelly was one of the best individual quarters you'd see all season, maybe stuck in the umps mind as I assume they discuss votes at HT.

“"We don't get stats, so we can just go on the umpires feel and best & fairest on the day that we think" AFL Umpire Brett Rosebury (Tuesday) on allocating Brownlow votes via @SportsdayWA

Explains why Macrae and Kelly didn't poll as expected.

So it is actually confirmed that they refrain from giving players votes who get reported on the day pretty much?

I will say that 2nd quarter by Kelly was one of the best individual quarters you'd see all season, maybe stuck in the umps mind as I assume they discuss votes at HT.

Yep have seen multiple articles where umps say qtr/half/3qt they discuss votes and get a chance to see the scoreboard for stats.

It's just strange because the last quarter of that match was absolutely game on and that's where King and Sheed really stood up but the umps still felt the game was won in 2nd quarter apparently.

Yeah good point, I just found it strange that people in general placed bets last week, instead of 3 weeks ago, when the season ended, and the odds were twice as high, piece of advice for next year I guess. Yeah I lost so much potential winnings because of all my mid season bets on macrae top 20, we are talking about a record breaking disposal season in a side that was top 4 for 90% of the season, completely robbed in 3-4 games of a vote or two in each, crazy!

Fair enough.. yeah that still wasn't enough for me. There was enough weight in the counter points to avoid him.

But you're implying those people don't know any better.
There's many valid reasons as to why that's not the case.

Some people also have busy lives outside of researching/betting AFL so they can't get to it until later.
For me it was that and the fact that there are more risks involved in betting earlier (such as in your case. Macrae didn't even appear in the Top 20 markets by the time I locked in my bets).

Some people would rather have more secure money than take a shot at higher odds early.
Some watch line movement before betting.

Just because it's earlier and/or the odds are higher, it doesn't automatically mean it is a better time to bet.
In some cases yes, but it almost certainly means it's gonna eat more of your time.

Last edited:
So do umpires have access to stats before doing their votes? I've heard conflicting reports
I don't think they do but at the more advanced arenas Im pretty sure the MCG, Optus Stadium for example show the number of stats throughout a game on their signage or electronic signage. Some of the stats go into more detail eg contested possessions. Im pretty sure the umps would be able to see them throughout a game anyway.........

Jordan Bannister said on Open Mike that they aren’t given the stats but they do glance at the scoreboard during the breaks.

Jordan Bannister said on Open Mike that they aren’t given the stats but they do glance at the scoreboard during the breaks.

'Geez Sam Walsh was good today'

Glances at scoreboard

'* me the blues lost by 85'.....'3 votes'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riley Bev also said on AFL exchange podcast on Monday that Umps are not allowed to look at the stats post game doing their votes. Feel like I remember hearing they were allowed to check the stat sheets only a few years ago

Riley Bev also said on AFL exchange podcast on Monday that Umps are not allowed to look at the stats post game doing their votes. Feel like I remember hearing they were allowed to check the stat sheets only a few years ago

Nah they never were. They were probably referring to the stats that appear on the scoreboard at the end of the game.

Hi all,

Hope everyone went well on Sunday night. Personally I made 5x my outlay which was nice
Did you post in this thread about any of your bets before the count?

I want to go back and see the goldmines I missed, might help me calibrate my radar for next season :thumbsu:

I probably missed seeing it then. Do you remember the source?

Can't remember now if it was the pre brownlow interview they did in one of the papers or I seem to recall something also with a roaming Brian segment with the umps.

Just remember it was a surprise to people here who had assumed previously they didn't know the stats

Would also expect that the dominant / most senior ump in each game would have the greatest influence on voting. Can't imagine Razor being over ruled by a 5 gamer

For sure, however O'gorman (who is the mid-level experienced ump in his matches) was involved in at least 3 very weird vote games this year.
Also, another mid level exp ump Findlay was involved in at least 2 very weird vote games.
This suggests to me that the 2 most exp umps probably have the most say generally while the newbie sits in the corner quietly practising putting on his sweatbands.

For sure, however O'gorman (who is the mid-level experienced ump in his matches) was involved in at least 3 very weird vote games this year.
Also, another mid level exp ump Findlay was involved in at least 2 very weird vote games.
This suggests to me that the 2 most exp umps probably have the most say generally while the newbie sits in the corner quietly practising putting on his sweatbands.
Yep, also most experienced doesnt always = most vocal or influential. Senior umps may be more introverted and mid levels umps could be more influential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back