2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a few at our club who should be able to step up; Stone, Daly and Davis
Nothing to go on other than the "vibe" but I like Dale Tapping as a prospective senior coach. Not that I'm death riding Fages though, plenty of coaches continue coaching into their traditional retirement years eg. Alex Ferguson, Wayne Bennett are the 2 that come straight to mind.

Would Luke Hodge be a suitable replacement in lets say 5 years for the head coach role then with Fagan becoming more of a director of coaching in the future for match-day performance if he didn't want to become head coach anymore?

I feel that would work out quite well and it wouldn't lose the values that the club has set out for the past 4-5 years culturally and performance-wise.

Would Luke Hodge be a suitable replacement in lets say 5 years for the head coach role then with Fagan becoming more of a director of coaching in the future for match-day performance if he didn't want to become head coach anymore?

I feel that would work out quite well and it wouldn't lose the values that the club has set out for the past 4-5 years culturally and performance-wise.
I can’t recall Luke Hodge ever indicating that he wants to be an AFL coach.

I can’t recall Luke Hodge ever indicating that he wants to be an AFL coach.

I'm pretty sure he's alluded to the desire in the past but it may have just been coaching as a whole. I think he'd be perfect for it. Not sure why anyone would want the job though; the stress! Would be wonderful for us if Hodge was content to do the part time role he does with us now with a focus on the media then take up a head coaching role when he's ready for the challenge and Fages says "enough". Jackess right though, we've already got numerous options on staff that could potentially step up.

I think head coach change for us would be at least 4 years away minimum though if at all. Really doesn't even need to be considered atm.

I'm pretty sure he's alluded to the desire in the past but it may have just been coaching as a whole. I think he'd be perfect for it. Not sure why anyone would want the job though; the stress! Would be wonderful for us if Hodge was content to do the part time role he does with us now with a focus on the media then take up a head coaching role when he's ready for the challenge and Fages says "enough". Jackess right though, we've already got numerous options on staff that could potentially step up.

I think head coach change for us would be at least 4 years away minimum though if at all. Really doesn't even need to be considered atm.
Agree long way off

I would think when Fages does leave, there's a reasonable chance we'll look to the same formula and try to find somebody with a great deal of experience across multiple footy roles and with great culture-building skills.

I would think when Fages does leave, there's a reasonable chance we'll look to the same formula and try to find somebody with a great deal of experience across multiple footy roles and with great culture-building skills.
Agree the clubs have now woken up that the main guy needs to be doing a lot more than giving the boys a rev at training and on match days.

Fagan presently has the job for as long as he wants but how many times have we seen things change quickly at clubs as far as perception of the coach is concerned . Sometimes it doesn't take a whole lot.

It would be naive to think we're immune but we seem to have built a solid a group of support to either groom a replacement when the time comes or have someone different step in.

Hodge doesn't seem that interested to me but again that can all change once he has a few years off and hungers for the contest again.

Agree the clubs have now woken up that the main guy needs to be doing a lot more than giving the boys a rev at training and on match days.

Fagan presently has the job for as long as he wants but how many times have we seen things change quickly at clubs as far as perception of the coach is concerned . Sometimes it doesn't take a whole lot.

It would be naive to think we're immune but we seem to have built a solid a group of support to either groom a replacement when the time comes or have someone different step in.

Hodge doesn't seem that interested to me but again that can all change once he has a few years off and hungers for the contest again.

Exactly what I feel like right now.

I wished Fagan still coaches our team for the next 10-20 years but I know that as a club in general, we need to have component back-up plans when the time does sadly come whenever that time is cause I wouldn't want to experience the same feeling we had when Matthews left and then we experienced the dark rollercoaster of pain with poor results with Voss and Leppa as coach again.

Shows how much Fagan has become such a loveable character at our football club for the past 4-5 years.

This year's free agency list has been published.

A few interesting names but realistically most will be re-signed before the end of the season.
The only one who might be considered ‘gettable’ that is worth going after would be Zach Merrett and maybe Josh Kelly but he will probably end up at North if he decided to leave.
Wonder if Merrett and Joe are good mates? Could put in the good word.

The only one that I am interested in is a very underrated bloke called Jarryd Lyons. Reckon he may do alright for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only one that I am interested in is a very underrated bloke called Jarryd Lyons. Reckon he may do alright for us.
Really? Already been delisted once.

Maybe this guy is getable next year.
Nothing like asking to be traded and the club says no way 2 first round picks and we think about it.
Then this from foxsport article. Link to full article below
Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley’s spot in the club’s best 22 isn’t secure, conceding the midfielder is “not at his best at the moment” less than three weeks before Round 1 and four months after his stunning trade request.

If he wanted to go to Essendon then clearly club culture and on field success isn't a priority for him

Nothing like asking to be traded and the club says no way 2 first round picks and we think about it.
Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley’s spot in the club’s best 22 isn’t secure, conceding the midfielder is “not at his best at the moment” less than three weeks before Round 1 and four months after his stunning trade request.

Doesn’t not want to leave Melbourne.

Would rather want our list management team to give out a long term $ contract for (3-4 years) to someone like Bailey or Starcevich this year then go for a player like Dunkley given the unknown of our cap-space in recent times and the amount of players out of contract (OOC) at the club this year.

Last edited:
Would rather want our list management team to give out a long term $ contract for (3-4 years) to someone like Bailey or Starcevich this year then go for a player like Dunkley given the unknown of our cap-space in recent times and the amount of players out of contract (OOC) at the club this year.
I reckon we are still 1 A grade mid away from a premiership team. I am sure we can still upgrade the likes of Bailey and Starc etc. But we do need a big bodied mid in there which a Oliver/Dunkley could fill. Rayner could but doubt he would be anything more than a 60/40 mid, much more likely he will be 40/60 mid in the future.

I reckon we are still 1 A grade mid away from a premiership team. I am sure we can still upgrade the likes of Bailey and Starc etc. But we do need a big bodied mid in there which a Oliver/Dunkley could fill. Rayner could but doubt he would be anything more than a 60/40 mid, much more likely he will be 40/60 mid in the future.

Dunkley could upgrade Lyons and hopefully Rayner and Bailey fill the void left by Zorko.

Or hopefully JBerry steps up

Dont know if I'd go hard for him, seems like we already have enough guys like him, but could improve us by being a potential upgrade on Lyons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back