Game Day 2021 Finals Matchday Supernova End of days thread

Who will you be barracking for in the grand final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

not really relevant to discussion here but if you haven't watched this video you should , i miss having someone as good at football as this guy, what a bloody legend, watching back half the goals on display in the video, couldn't help but laugh at how good jarman was.

The 90s was a far superior era to watch AFL compared to today IMO, the skill level was on another level, compared to the athletes today who try and play footy.

The 90s was a far superior era to watch AFL compared to today IMO, the skill level was on another level, compared to the athletes today who try and play footy.

I agree it was great to watch....especially in terms of the basic game fundamentals and foot skills because back then that is really all they would train....it makes sense.... the game has changed alot since then.

The skills weren’t better, the game style was just more open and conducive to skilful play. Really watch some of the kicks they produce, there’s no way it’s better than the AFL players now.

The skills weren’t better, the game style was just more open and conducive to skilful play. Really watch some of the kicks they produce, there’s no way it’s better than the AFL players now.
Skills was better, cleaner and overall more players on the ground knew how to play.

Also the fact that more teams meant more players which meant less skill level coming in. Put it this way, if we went 30 teams like an NFL/NBA style league, the worst teams would be as good as the local 3 time premiers down the road.

16 teams is prob enough to get a league chock full of skill with every team. Imagine spreading GC and GWS out to the rest of the league.

Skills was better, cleaner and overall more players on the ground knew how to play.

Might just have to agree to disagree, I’ve watched a lot of footage from 80s/90s games and there’s no way they’ve got better skills then today’s players.

The game is more congested now which makes skill execution so much harder.

Skill was better because players weren't fit enough and tactics weren't advanced enough to change that.

Someone like Buddy would have destroyed the league in the 80s.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

100%

It’s not even a knock on those players, they were not full time footballers.

I never understand the mindset of “players were better back in the day”. Every sport where the results are black and white: swimming, athletics etc. the athletes get progressively better over time. I don’t understand why in sports like footy, cricket, basketball etc people don’t think the same logic will apply.

Just realized that next week when the GF is on I’ll be at a family wedding. Dammit!! Who does that??

Thank goodness for Kayo…

Remember my sister had her wedding the day of the 1989 VFL Grand Final (Hawthorn vs Geelong - the classic). She and my parents were afraid I wouldn’t turn up to it.

Who in their right mind has a wedding on AFL Grand Final Day?

Might just have to agree to disagree, I’ve watched a lot of footage from 80s/90s games and there’s no way they’ve got better skills then today’s players.

The game is more congested now which makes skill execution so much harder.
I think it is a bit of both.

They don't spend as much time on skills, even kids in elite programs, because they have to be physically/aerobically fitter. Plus spend time on theory.

Less drill based on pure foot skills.

So the homogenisation of coaching has now lead to a congested game style where skill is less important over structure and defensive positioning.

Caleb Daniel is applauded for his great field kicking, and it isgreat. In the 90s, far more players could pick out a player like he does. It happened often.

The game has evolved to allow more people to play it at the highest level.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay of the first and last quarters of the bulldogs/port prelim game again last night… just for shits and giggles..

Geez channel 7 really put some effort into getting their camera’s to focus on the faces in the crowd.. more than they normally do at any other game I reacon.. just seemed that at any opportunity they got at stoppages they panned the cameras onto the port supporters faces..

And wow .... in that crowd.. so much pain, anger and angst..

Almost felt sorry for them for a… nah, who am I kidding.. loved every second of it and would thoroughly recommend my good adelaide board bigfooty members take the time to sit back and re-watch it too.. it truely is a thing of beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost felt sorry for them for a…

I know you were kidding, but no Crow supporter should ever fall for this.

They would have trolled us all summer and for years until we won our next flag.

Their supporters would have sat on our forum all summer gloating. Now they are absolutely no where to be seen.

Where are all those bullshit casual neighbours of ours, that swear they only stopped by to add to conversations and not brag? In hiding and for a long time too.

Watched the replay of the first and last quarters of the bulldogs/port prelim game again last night… just for shits and giggles..

Geez channel 7 really put some effort into getting their camera’s to focus on the faces in the crowd.. more than they normally do at any other game I reacon.. just seemed that at any opportunity they got at stoppages they panned the cameras onto the port supporters faces..

And wow…so much pain, anger and angst..

Almost felt sorry for them for a… nah, who am I kidding.. loved every second of it and would thoroughly recommend my good adelaide board bigfooty members take the time to sit back and re-watch it too.. it truely is a thing of beauty.
3 times already

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember my sister had her wedding the day of the 1989 VFL Grand Final (Hawthorn vs Geelong - the classic). She and my parents were afraid I wouldn’t turn up to it.

Who in their right mind has a wedding on AFL Grand Final Day?
"We couldn't believe the church was available!"

Is the GF happening on the original date is was set for? Might explain the clashes!
Theres no excuse for this absolutely disgusting behavior from this bride to be.

All weekends in september and early october (given bathurst is on around this time too) should be banned as potential wedding dates.

*in the nerve of some women…

I know you were kidding, but no Crow supporter should ever fall for this.

They would have trolled us all summer and for years until we won our next flag.

Their supporters would have sat on our forum all summer gloating. Now they are absolutely no where to be seen.

Where are all those bullshit casual neighbours of ours, that swear they only stopped by to add to conversations and not brag? In hiding and for a long time too.
Dont worry.. they are in here, and absolutelty seething about what they are reading..

Normally one or two of them take the bait and respond, they did last year after the powas prelim loss to the tigs, but not this year.. this year they must be just far too shattered to do so..

But you can be sure they are in here reading it.. they are a strange bunch..

Dont worry.. they are in here, and absolutelty seething about what they are reading..

Normally one or two of them take the bait and respond, they did last year after the powas prelim loss to the tigs, but not this year.. this year they must be just far too shattered to do so..

But you can be sure they are in here reading it.. they are a strange bunch..
Warm favs against the Tigers at $1.74 and smoking hot favs v Dogs at $1.38

They choked on both occasions. There is no coming back from this.

They will endure another rebuild before getting a crack at another flag.

For me peak AFL was 1995 to 2004.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Even up to 2016 it was better than it is now. Pretty much every team tried copying Richmond's pressure gameplan, which is awful to watch. Signs now that it is changing again - Melbourne and the Bulldogs are both pretty good to watch.

Even up to 2016 it was better than it is now. Pretty much every team tried copying Richmond's pressure gameplan, which is awful to watch. Signs now that it is changing again - Melbourne and the Bulldogs are both pretty good to watch.

It’s funny but I reckon the 2017 GF was a real sliding doors moment, had we won most teams would’ve tried to copy us, but because we were completely exposed most teams went towards the high pressure, repeat forward entries style that was so effective for the Tigers.

Definitely been a lot better this year. Even our style of footy has been really good to watch for most of the season.

Geelong’s slower kick and mark style of play getting absolutely exposed by Melbourne’s much faster style could be the best thing for footy moving forward.

Back