2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

“With the utmost respect for everyone that’s here, I’ve so far had a warm welcome from the people on the ground. I can’t pretend to be the most knowledgeable or have the the deepest understanding of someone that, particularly, has grown up in the community here that is heavily affected by certain rules and the regime.

“Do I feel comfortable here? I [wouldn’t] say I do. But it’s not my choice to be here. The sport has taken a choice to be here.

“Whether it’s right or wrong, I think whilst we are here, again, I feel like it’s important that we do try to raise awareness. So in the last race, for example, you saw the helmet that I wore. I will wear that again here and in the next race because that is an issue and is a law.

Homosexuality is illegal in Saudi Arabia and can be punished by flogging and imprisonment. “If anyone wants to take the time to go and read what the law is for the LGBTQ+ community, it’s pretty terrifying,” said Hamilton. “There’s changes that need to be made.”

Well said again by Lewis.

I think I have gotten to a point where I am simply cheering for a tight finish to the season without grid penalties or crashes, rather than wanting either Lewis or Max to win at any cost.

If Lewis wins the world title, it will probably be the best of his 8 world titles.
If Max wins, it will be the first of many to come.

Well said again by Lewis.

I think I have gotten to a point where I am simply cheering for a tight finish to the season without grid penalties or crashes, rather than wanting either Lewis or Max to win at any cost.

If Lewis wins the world title, it will probably be the best of his 8 world titles.
If Max wins, it will be the first of many to come.

I like this 'no f***s given' Lewis - he knows he is now too big for the sport for there to be any significant sanctions by the FIA for his political comments.

Imagine if it was a midfield driver wearing the 'Love is Love' helmet and making this kind of comment. I hope when Verstappen becomes the 'bigger than the sport' driver that he continues pushing for things like equality and justice.

I like this 'no f***s given' Lewis - he knows he is now too big for the sport for there to be any significant sanctions by the FIA for his political comments.

Imagine if it was a midfield driver wearing the 'Love is Love' helmet and making this kind of comment. I hope when Verstappen becomes the 'bigger than the sport' driver that he continues pushing for things like equality and justice.
Given that Max won't even take a knee in the racism stance gesture (whatever you think of that PR gesture aside, it's not difficult to take a knee), I remain sceptical.

Vettel set up a girls only karting race the other day

Last edited:
It's good of Hamilton and Vettel to have their say and make their gestures, but F1 has never been more money-orientated. Their voices can't compete with the £ signs being waved about, which is a shame.

Piastri with pole #4 in a row, Zhou struggling down in 7th half a second off the pace.

Could almost clinch the title here now

Do you see the weaknesses in your comment?

How does any track this narrow get a gig in 21st century F1?
While I’m sure it’s a pleasure for the drivers to drive, it’s a no overtake circuit from the first design.
And that means only crashes or failures will change the positions from turn one.
Happily it’s at a time I won’t watch live and FF will be my friend come replay time.

I really hope there are no crashes and everyone gets home alright. The track is too fast and narrow.

also had a dream last night that Hamilton would hit Mazepin, Verstappen would have a loose wheel nut and lose a wheel and Alonso would win qualifying. And Kimi went home after the first couple of laps as he couldn't be bothered.

If all these things happen, then you heard it here first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Leclerc's crash, trouble with this track is that (from the brief footage I've seen) it seems to invite such accidents. Race will be messy.

How does any track this narrow get a gig in 21st century F1?
While I’m sure it’s a pleasure for the drivers to drive, it’s a no overtake circuit from the first design.
And that means only crashes or failures will change the positions from turn one.
Happily it’s at a time I won’t watch live and FF will be my friend come replay time.
Sector 1 only has 1 line, sector 2 and 3 are slightly more open if you can hold on and get a run on someone, but in current cars I can't see overtaking being done without the use of the final DRS.

How big a statement would it be if he withdrew from the race?
Wouldn't change any of the laws in Saudi Arabia.

George Russell would slot into his seat for a week, likely finish on the podium and all that would have been gained by Hamilton withdrawing is Verstappen winning the championship.

Let's be realistic. No F1 driver is going to do something that changes the law in Saudi Arabia. The best they can do is acknowledge its an issue and raise awareness. And right now only 2 drivers out of 20 have chosen to do that. So to focus on one of those 2 drivers and tear them down because of it, seems kinda odd.

So working on the premise of accepting sponsorship money with dodgy connections = bad (a sentiment which I do agree with)
We criticise the individual (Lewis) who chooses to speak out about issues whilst accepting these sponsorships.
But its perfectly okay for the other individual (Max) who refuses to speak out about issues whilst also accepting these sponsorships.

Surely the latter is worse than the former ?

I read that there are bonuses paid to Mercedes F1 workers for winning championships. If so, then you'd understand Hamilton not boycotting.

In any event, criticising a person for not doing more when they're already doing plenty is the height of bias. I don't see many other drivers speaking out apart from Vettel. When Hamilton bought a table at the Met Gala for upcoming designers, he copped criticism for not doing more for the British fashion industry other than buying a table for a few thousand dollars.

"I notice Bill Gates donated 20 million to malaria research - well he's worth 50 billion, he should be able to donate more!" - that sort of thing. Give me a break.

Racers (in any motorsport) aren't speaking out because it makes not one iota of difference. It is not going to change laws in any country and it is not going to stop any governing body from taking the money and scheduling races in those countries.

Wouldn't change any of the laws in Saudi Arabia.

George Russell would slot into his seat for a week, likely finish on the podium and all that would have been gained by Hamilton withdrawing is Verstappen winning the championship.

Let's be realistic. No F1 driver is going to do something that changes the law in Saudi Arabia. The best they can do is acknowledge its an issue and raise awareness. And right now only 2 drivers out of 20 have chosen to do that. So to focus on one of those 2 drivers and tear them down because of it, seems kinda odd.

So working on the premise of accepting sponsorship money with dodgy connections = bad (a sentiment which I do agree with)
We criticise the individual (Lewis) who chooses to speak out about issues whilst accepting these sponsorships.
But its perfectly okay for the other individual (Max) who refuses to speak out about issues whilst also accepting these sponsorships.

Surely the latter is worse than the former ?

Alas, this is the truth. No one benefits from Hamilton (or any other driver) withdrawing from the race. At least Hamilton is among the few actually willing to speak out -and somehow he cops flak even for that, which is just baffling.

I find Hamilton's criticism to be selective - Qatar and UAE are similar to Saudi Arabia but not a peep from Hamilton.

He wore 'Love is Love' during the race weekend and criticised Qatar's (lack of) human rights.

He has also spoken out on UAE and Bahrain, on several occasions. Here is one from last year.

He is also famous for the 'cash is king' comment during the Australian GP last year.

What else do you have to level against him unfairly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back