2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

Damon Hill said Hamilton should be penalised, not that it was a racing incident
Most commentators seemed to think it could either way, but I was prob more referencing Hill's strong disagreement with what Horner was saying post race. Quite frankly it was a bit over the top.

Surprised Hamilton didn’t even feign concern for Verstappen

That's the thing. Of course he's happy he's won, but look at the manner in which you won it. He didn't exactly win a fair fight and I think everyone knows Max would have won if he hadn't punted him off.

Poor Legleg was scared off the track, he's said himself he feared being the next victim in the wall. Maybe the Hamilton Straight being named was a bit premature. I propose the revert the name of the straight back, they can rename the wall. Hamilton Wall.

Last edited:
Surprised Hamilton didn’t even feign concern for Verstappen

Hamilton is a s**t campaigner so no surprise. It was all about him and how it was Max's fault and he did nothing wrong.

They probably got the penalty spot on. Both went into that corner with the intention of making the other blink first. Mercedes/Lewis being quick enough to overcome the penalty is irrelevant. Can’t go around giving penalties based on car speed.

I can’t believe how poor that decision from Max was though. He’s in the best car, has a clear lead in the championship, and clearly looks and knows Lewis is there. He has to ease out of that battle. He would’ve won anyway, and absolute worst case he finishes second and keeps a comfortable championship lead. His ego got the best of him and it’s given Hamilton a sniff again.
Unfortunately I think Verstappens aggression is going to be his biggest strength and his most exploitable weakness throughout his career.

For every brilliant overtake, there are going to be races like Silverstone 2021, Sao Paolo 2018 (Ocon blue flags crash), Baku 2019 (Crash with Ricciardo) where he unnessecerily has a DNF through incidents he could have avoided (yes, I still think Lewis was at fault yesterday but Max really could have yielded to avoid contact and battle on through the GP)

It was a racing incident, with a 60/40 responsibility split against Hamilton.
Rightly got a penalty.
My issue was how that penalty was applied due to the red flag. This was simply unacceptable. And will lead to similar incidents in the future as the drivers understand every advantage that can be had.
To start from #1 at the restart when you have a penalty pending is ridiculous.

If you look at it objectively Max has Lewis beaten before the turn and Lewis should have yielded. He pinched him to the inside down the straight meaning Lewis wouldn't have the turn in angle required to take that turn anywhere near as fast as max and the position was lost in sheer exit speed from the get go. Max defended exactly as you should, tighten the room of the car behind but always leaving a cars width.

No one in their right mind can defend what Hamilton did there, he is a driver with 1000s of laps of experience around this circuit and he knew full and well there was no way he was making it around that turn carrying that much speed in from such a tight approach. It certainly wasn't an accident and should have seen lewis cop a race ban at minimum.

image0.jpg

The one thing about it that I haven't seen anyone mention is that the inside line was so tight coming into the corner that Hamilton was just about driving up the wall. It was only Max realising that Hamilton was going for it that gave him just enough room to not hit the wall, but not enough space to go past on the inside. Surely such a small gap should have told him that the space just isn't there- especially knowing how aggressive Max is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamilton had 2 options, either actually pull ahead of max and force the overtake or get out of it and concede the corner to max. He did neither and ended up causing a major accident. Max had the racing line and left more than a card width for Hambone and still ended up in a 51G impact in the wall, that's no minor incident. It was incredibly dangerous place to be sticking a wheel up the inside and I only hope Max can get physically and mentally back up for the challenge after that one. It's his 2nd big hit in a wall this year.

It was a desperate move by Lewis. Home crowd, season on the line, and starting behind Max all got to him I think. But somehow it worked out better than he probably even imagined.

What's the thoughts on the 2022 design? It certainly looks sleek. Will be good to finally see it in action.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back