2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

I havent checked the exact wording but if it's along those lines its ambiguous.

The 5th car was the last lapped car permitted to unlap itself. The rest were not.

When the 5th car had unlapped itself, the safety car came in.

Regardless, theres no way they'll overturn the outcome.

Art. 48.12 of the F1 Sporting Regulations

"If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all Competitors via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car...

Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary,
once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the FOLLOWING lap.

It's not ambiguous. All lapped cars must overtake the lead lap cars and safety car, and then once that happens the safety car is in at the end of the next lap. Both of those rules were broken by the race's own director and presumably one who should know each rule to the letter.

The result will not be overturned - and imo it shouldn't be. Red Bull did nothing wrong, and in any event it would be way too controversial to have it sorted in a court room. However, heads need to roll, and it should be Michael Masi's. It was a farce.

So after taking some time im still pissed off about that ending. That was wrong jn so many ways. It's actually made me think if it's worth watching any more if they can just manipulate it to get a dramatic ending.

Just imagine if that was Danny ric in lewis's spot the majority of us would be alot more pissed than we are right now.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Haven’t watched it yet.
Only have one question.

What would Charlie have done?

It would have finished under safety car, as he would be following the rules. There was no obsession with finishing under a green flag or letting only some of the lapped cars pass.

I suspect this may go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

So after taking some time im still pissed off about that ending. That was wrong jn so many ways. It's actually made me think if it's worth watching any more if they can just manipulate it to get a dramatic ending.

Just imagine if that was Danny ric in lewis's spot the majority of us would be alot more pissed than we are right now.

Yeah, Verstappen is a deserving winner of the race and championship - but I am sure he and many others would wish it was won with a lot less controversy or intervention from the race director. He will no doubt win many more championships, but his first one now has this asterisk - and unfairly so, it certainly wasn't due to any fault on his part. From what I've read and seen, he and Hamilton are both gracious towards each other, but conspicuous in their silence at the race director.

Personally this kind of intervention will turn me off following F1 anywhere near as closely next year.

It would have finished under safety car, as he would be following the rules. There was no obsession with finishing under a green flag or letting only some of the lapped cars pass.

Yeah, Verstappen is a deserving winner of the race and championship - but I am sure he and many others would wish it was won with a lot less controversy or intervention from the race director. He will no doubt win many more championships, but his first one now has this asterisk - and unfairly so, it certainly wasn't due to any fault on his part. From what I've read and seen, he and Hamilton are both gracious towards each other, but conspicuous in their silence at the race director.

Personally this kind of intervention will turn me off following F1 anywhere near as closely next year.

Im sure he will be able to cry himself to sleep with his WC trophy. Lewis has 6 championships with an asterisk next to it so no stress for Max.

FIA aren't a part of CAS (or however you want to put it), apparently. The only time they recognise a ruling is if it is an appeal against a WADA ruling.

There's no two ways about it, that ending was farcical. Why we love sport is because, we like to think, it's not manipulated or scripted and drama creates itself.

Sometimes sport is boring. But that just makes the true exciting moments more special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FIA aren't a part of CAS (or however you want to put it), apparently. The only time they recognise a ruling is if it is an appeal against a WADA ruling.

Oh, my bad. International Court of Appeal, CAS would only really get involved in doping matters.

Haven’t watched it yet.
Only have one question.

What would Charlie have done?

If we still had Charlie it wouldn't have mattered. Max probably has won before this race.

Its funny everyone concentrating on this one poor decision when there are multiple through the season, some costing a lot more points than the drop from 1st to 2nd in a race. Max certainly seemed to cop the worst of them, you could argue he was often too aggressive which he certainly is but the failure to show consistency contributes to this.

The fact we all saw it coming says there is a problem.

I'm much happier Verstappen won sure, but all season things have been so haphazard from the officials it just had to end in a way like this.

The race deserved to finish without a safety car, but what a weird way for it to happen.

Best driver all year won though, there should be no doubting that, not should there be any doubt both Toto and Horner are massive egotistical babies.

There's no two ways about it, that ending was farcical. Why we love sport is because, we like to think, it's not manipulated or scripted and drama creates itself.

Sometimes sport is boring. But that just makes the true exciting moments more special.

Exactly this.

Aguero's winner broke my heart in a million pieces - but it was a fair goal.

This just makes it difficult to swallow for all F1 fans. Rules were broken to manufacture a green flag finish and it disadvantaged some drivers unfairly. That's not sport, that's WWE.

The behaviour of Toto Wolff and Christian Horner this year has been pathetic, but Toto is the reason I'm happy to see Max win.

Oh, my bad. International Court of Appeal, CAS would only really get involved in doping matters.

I'm pretty sure the same applies for ICAS. Someone mentioned it on Reddit with the relevant info.

I'm pretty sure the same applies for ICAS. Someone mentioned it on Reddit with the relevant info.

You can appeal, but ICA can refuse to hear it anyway.

Think this applied to the Hamilton Spa 25 second penalty a few years back where the court rejected the initial appeal to the FIA's ruling.

Edit - yes it was.

Horner had his moments this year, but last night Toto disgraced and embarrassed himself and Mercedes. The sore loser deserved everything that came his way in the end.
Yeh, we get it Little Red Riding Hood, you don't like the Big Bad Wolff. You don't need to make 30 posts about it.

Horner had his moments this year, but last night Toto disgraced and embarrassed himself and Mercedes. The sore loser deserved everything that came his way in the end.
I have to say that Horner certainly kept his powder dry despite some outrageous decisions. And yes, he did have the occasional blowup.
But Toto, didn’t take much to light his fuse and the results were always spectacular. That’s what happens when you’ve had it all your own way for close to a decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back