2021 Formula One Season: Championship Decider Abu Dhabi - Verstappen Wins in a Controversial Race! 🏆 🍾

Remove this Banner Ad

It was hardly contrived and is the kind of conspiracy theory bullshit coming from Lewis fans. The crux of the issue is that it was just poorly communicated and then not allowing all cars to un-lap themselves. Listening to Masi's communication with Horner, you can see where he is coming from but he didn't explain it properly. You can tell he was getting flustered because he would have had Toto screaming in his ear as well. The gist of it from what I can gather is that before allowing the cars to go past they wanted the track to be clear which is fair enough for the safety of the marshalls clearing the track. Once it was cleared they allowed some of the cars to go past (is what caused the drivers to ask WTF?) but not all so that they could get the last lap of racing in (even though there seemed to be more than enough room for the rest of the backmarkers to un-lap and still give Lewis and Max more than enough clean air). The communication between Masi and the teams (and subsequently the drivers) is what caused such a big issue.

Whoever it was post-race (Brundle I think) that said Masi needed an offsider to help with communication with the teams was spot on and I doubt there would be so much controversy if that was the case. He also needs to grow some balls and tell Toto and Horner to shut the fu** up and let him do his job.
Yeah agree with the last bit. Way too much partitioning by the team's all season when there were incidents.

I thought Verstappen was harshly treated early in the race and Hamilton at the end.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

So I’ve watched it.
In think a lot of people need to remember that sport these days have no relationship to sport in the old days. Never has since the death of amateur sport.
Sport is now entertainment. And that’s why sports can reap huge dollars and pay the sportsman huge renumeration. If the sport doesn’t entertain it dies.
As for the sky coverage, I’m more than happy with it. The commentary when it was all unraveling in front of their eyes was professional and informative. Even the criticism of Ted, which I assume came from his piece talking about the Mercedes’ post race reactions. But all he did was tell us exactly what was being said and felt in there. He never injected his own thoughts at that time.
On to repercussions. Will Mercedes spit the dummy and appeal? Can they appeal?
I think they will. I doubt it will be successful though. And just a reminder that if Lewis is used in appeals, please remember that he is an employee and has to take directions from his employer. I think for him the race is over and he would be looking to focus on a new car and the new challenge that presents.
Very enjoyable day.

It was hardly contrived and is the kind of conspiracy theory bullshit coming from Lewis fans. The crux of the issue is that it was just poorly communicated and then not allowing all cars to un-lap themselves. Listening to Masi's communication with Horner, you can see where he is coming from but he didn't explain it properly. You can tell he was getting flustered because he would have had Toto screaming in his ear as well. The gist of it from what I can gather is that before allowing the cars to go past they wanted the track to be clear which is fair enough for the safety of the marshalls clearing the track. Once it was cleared they allowed some of the cars to go past (is what caused the drivers to ask WTF?) but not all so that they could get the last lap of racing in (even though there seemed to be more than enough room for the rest of the backmarkers to un-lap and still give Lewis and Max more than enough clean air). The communication between Masi and the teams (and subsequently the drivers) is what caused such a big issue.

Whoever it was post-race (Brundle I think) that said Masi needed an offsider to help with communication with the teams was spot on and I doubt there would be so much controversy if that was the case. He also needs to grow some balls and tell Toto and Horner to shut the fu** up and let him do his job.
Don't confuse contrived with rigged for Max to win. It wasn't rigged but it absolutely was contrived. They manufactured a close and "entertaining" ending to the race, regardless of who won. It was entertaining but it hurt the credibility of the sport. This wasn't just a communication issue, they straight up bent the rules. I've been watching F1 since the mid-late 90s and have never seen only a subset of lapped cars get let through.

Don't confuse contrived with rigged for Max to win. It wasn't rigged but it absolutely was contrived. They manufactured a close and "entertaining" ending to the race, regardless of who won. It was entertaining but it hurt the credibility of the sport. This wasn't just a communication issue, they straight up bent the rules. I've been watching F1 since the mid-late 90s and have never seen only a subset of lapped cars get let through.

I'm not confusing the two because to me it feels like the arguments are one and the same thing in this instance. If they just contrived to get the race finished, they would have made Max have to overtake all 4 in front of him before having a go at Lewis.

The post I quoted was saying it was contrived because the other cars were allowed to un-lap themselves which created a complete cluster* that purely benefited Max and there was really only going to be one outcome. To me, that is saying it was rigged and not contrived. Unless they meant something else and I am reading it wrong.

Paywalled article but the key takeaway is that apparently Merc are considering dropping their appeal:

However, The Times understands that Toto Wolff, the head of Mercedes, and the team’s hierarchy, while still hugely angry about a decision that suddenly handed a crucial advantage to Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, recognise the further damage it could cause to Formula One if they continue to campaign for Hamilton to be made race winner and world champion.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mercedes-set-to-abort-plan-to-appeal-against-max-verstappen-title-win-mcs6cbbz7

Random fact stolen from the F1 subreddit, but after concluding the last race of the season, McLaren is the only constructor to achieve a 1-2 finish in 2021.

RIP HAMBOTVER :'(

They definitely need a seperate judge to make the decision to cut off team bosses when they cross a line.

Demanding no safety car be sent out, without knowledge of the exact risk to life, would clearly be one of those occasions.

In all honesty, Toto should be banned from the next race (first next year) after a demand like that. Compromises the safety of the sport.

If Mercedes boxed lewis he would have won and none of this would have mattered, they contrived a green flag finish but they didn't force anyone to do dumb strategies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sainz did

Apparently it has a different scoring system.

h3wicej9q4581.png

They definitely need a seperate judge to make the decision to cut off team bosses when they cross a line.

Demanding no safety car be sent out, without knowledge of the exact risk to life, would clearly be one of those occasions.

In all honesty, Toto should be banned from the next race (first next year) after a demand like that. Compromises the safety of the sport.
Well said. Good on Masi for sticking to his guns and not giving in to Toto's demands.

One off-hand comment at the end of an emotional race doesn't erase his gestures to Max, especially seeing as his gestures to Max came later, after he'd had a chance to cool down.
Oh I realised that, but it just puts perspective on it for people.

Oh I realised that, but it just puts perspective on it for people.

I was about to add, perspective is important. Once he'd gotten back to the garage and had a chance to think and to speak more, Hamilton was very gracious. His team are of course another matter.

Did you catch Sainz and Leclerc - their radio messages as they crossed the line were very sweary. Leclerc seemed annoyed.

I was about to add, perspective is important. Once he'd gotten back to the garage and had a chance to think and to speak more, Hamilton was very gracious. His team are of course another matter.

Did you catch Sainz and Leclerc - their radio messages as they crossed the line were very sweary. Leclerc seemed annoyed.
I havent yet. Will look at them this evening

Last edited:
The rules are clear as day, all cars must unlap. That didn't happen.

I don't get how anyone is defending the decision. I would love to see the reaction if this same result happened but it was Hamilton benefiting.

We're dealing with folks who allow their emotions to override logic, they can post-facto rationalise anything.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back