Review 2021 Mid Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coverage starts at 6.30PM on the AFL website and AFL app:

The draft itself starts at 7pm (AEST)

The draft order for the mid-season rookie draft is the reverse ladder order after Round 11, with the number of picks dependent on the number of open list spots. (Spots opened up as LTIs/retirees are put on the inactive list.)

Last edited:
Davo-27 has the following 19 year olds in his early top 35, overall rankings in his top 35 on the left.

18. Chance Doultree - Gippsland - 183cm 74kg (19)
21. Luis D'Angelo - Gippsland - 184cm 85kg (19)
22. Dylan Thomas - Oakleigh - 187cm 77kg (19)
28. Jacob Edwards - Sandringham - 202cm 83kg (19)

Any one stood up yet?

Couldn't find a thread for the 2021 mid season draft. Thought it would be good to have a dedicated resource to:
a) track which clubs have the list spots to take advantage and
b) speculate wildly

Tag me and I'll update the list below to help keep track.

Adelaide: 1 list spots - Gibbs Retired
Brisbane: 0 list spots
Carlton: 1 list spot
Collingwood: 2 list spots
Essendon: 1 list spot
Fremantle: 0 list spots
Geelong: 0 list spots
Gold Coast: 0 list spots
GWS: 0 list spots
Hawthorn: 1(3) list spots - Scully Retired - Patton, Sicily pending
Melbourne: 2 list spots
North: 1 list spot
Port: 1 list spot
Richmond: 1(2) list spots - Rhyan Mansell signed - Saldo Pending
St Kilda: 3(4) list spots - Patton pending
Sydney: 1 list spot
West Coast: 0 list spots
Bulldogs: 1 list spot - Lloyd Retired, McLean Pending
Have we got an update on this?

Any one stood up yet?

its hard to follow all of the games with the NAB League app not working all the time and only parts of games available live ect, but i have liked these 19 year olds so far, it has been hard to rank them, but heres a list of players i have liked the look of.

Oliver Davis - (TAS) again shows his wares as an inside midfielder, he is more your hard work, in and under type, probably needs to improve his athleticism side of his game, but is doing quite well again at NAB League after he was really good in 2019 and good in the TSL in 2020, if he had more leg speed he would be valued more highly.

Cody Raak - (Western Jets) is playing well as that medium sized defender, cleaning up the contests and creating a lot of rebound out of defense.

Noah Gribble - (Geelong) also having a good season after his knee injury, is averaging good numbers in poss, marks and r50.

Chance Doultree - (Gippsland) a 19 year old that has come from nowhere to put in some impressive performances, i might have gone a bit too high with my initial rating, but i do like how he plays and has put in 3 good games to start the season.

Luis D'Angelo - (Gippsland) another 19 year old that has come from nowhere to be a decent option, he has had a couple good games and put his name up there.

Jacob Edwards - (Sandringham) another 19 year old to put their hand up, so much so that he has over shadowed Max Heath in the ruck, although there is not a huge difference between them in the ruck, Edwards is much better around the ground and can play forward kicking a good number of goals so far this season compared to Max who seems more Tap orientated big bodied ruck

Max Heath - (Sandringham) had some wraps off of a pre-season game last year, he seems good in the ruck with his tap work, but is limited around the ground, good luck beating Sandringham in the ruck this season, with Edwards and Heath, then you have Visenti as a 3rd option, they are blessed with rucks and probably have 2 of the best rucks if not the best in the NAB this year.

Sam Clohesy - (Calder) another to come from nowhere to impress for Calder playing a couple good games and putting his name out there as 1 to look out for

Ewan MacPherson - (Northern) he is a good competitor, his disposal is a bit wayward, but he is worth mentioning as he has F/S connections to the Bulldogs and knows how to win the footy

Dylan Thomas - (Oakleigh) was impressive in the game against Eastern where he kicked 4 goals and looked like he would fit into an AFL team quite comfortably, need to see more of his games, but as an early call, he has something about his game as a small forward he seems very creative, strong mark and good converter.

Luke Cleary - (Sandringham) has been dominating for Sandy in defence, must be a good chance to get drafted at some stage

Darby Hipwell - (Sandringham) has been good for Sandy as well so far, solid midfielder and has added to the impressive depth at Sandringham this season

Ned Moyle - (Oakleigh) in the top 4 rucks in the NAB League from what i have seen so far this year

Eren Soylemez - (Sandringham) dangerous forward for Sandy is playing how i would expect Howes to be playing atm

its hard to follow all of the games with the NAB League app not working all the time and only parts of games available live ect, but i have liked these 19 year olds so far, it has been hard to rank them, but heres a list of players i have liked the look of.

Oliver Davis - (TAS) again shows his wares as an inside midfielder, he is more your hard work, in and under type, probably needs to improve his athleticism side of his game, but is doing quite well again at NAB League after he was really good in 2019 and good in the TSL in 2020, if he had more leg speed he would be valued more highly.

Cody Raak - (Western Jets) is playing well as that medium sized defender, cleaning up the contests and creating a lot of rebound out of defense.

Noah Gribble - (Geelong) also having a good season after his knee injury, is averaging good numbers in poss, marks and r50.

Chance Doultree - (Gippsland) a 19 year old that has come from nowhere to put in some impressive performances, i might have gone a bit too high with my initial rating, but i do like how he plays and has put in 3 good games to start the season.

Luis D'Angelo - (Gippsland) another 19 year old that has come from nowhere to be a decent option, he has had a couple good games and put his name up there.

Jacob Edwards - (Sandringham) another 19 year old to put their hand up, so much so that he has over shadowed Max Heath in the ruck, although there is not a huge difference between them in the ruck, Edwards is much better around the ground and can play forward kicking a good number of goals so far this season compared to Max who seems more Tap orientated big bodied ruck

Max Heath - (Sandringham) had some wraps off of a pre-season game last year, he seems good in the ruck with his tap work, but is limited around the ground, good luck beating Sandringham in the ruck this season, with Edwards and Heath, then you have Visenti as a 3rd option, they are blessed with rucks and probably have 2 of the best rucks if not the best in the NAB this year.

Sam Clohesy - (Calder) another to come from nowhere to impress for Calder playing a couple good games and putting his name out there as 1 to look out for

Ewan MacPherson - (Northern) he is a good competitor, his disposal is a bit wayward, but he is worth mentioning as he has F/S connections to the Bulldogs and knows how to win the footy

Dylan Thomas - (Oakleigh) was impressive in the game against Eastern where he kicked 4 goals and looked like he would fit into an AFL team quite comfortably, need to see more of his games, but as an early call, he has something about his game as a small forward he seems very creative, strong mark and good converter.

Luke Cleary - (Sandringham) has been dominating for Sandy in defence, must be a good chance to get drafted at some stage

Darby Hipwell - (Sandringham) has been good for Sandy as well so far, solid midfielder and has added to the impressive depth at Sandringham this season

Ned Moyle - (Oakleigh) in the top 4 rucks in the NAB League from what i have seen so far this year

Eren Soylemez - (Sandringham) dangerous forward for Sandy is playing how i would expect Howes to be playing atm

Likely to be Davis’ last game in the NAB League.

Moving to the SANFL on the request of the Crows who are considering him with their MSD pick.

Last edited:
Tyler Keitel started off the year well in the WAFL kicking bags of 4,6 & 4. Surprised his name doesn't get mentioned that often considering how consistent he has been at WAFL level over the past 5 years.

Anyone who watches WAFL know what the downside to him is?
FIGJAM syndrome

Good luck to the AFL teams, trying to sort players from the 42 state league teams while also keeping an eye on the NAB league is not easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WAFL mature agers post-R3

Luke Strnadica (EF) - Has been on a list before, was stuck deep in the ruck pecking order at Freo. Has flourished since Jon Griffin retired as EF's #1 ruck.
Sam Fisher (SD) - unsure how he'd do not being the #1 mid choice, but he's got great hands, decent run and carry, and can hit a target by foot
Cody Ninyette (SF) - needs to be given a chance. He's only 23, has kicked 12 goals in 3 weeks. All he does is create goalscoring opportunities. He's strong for his size, and could absolutely make a different at the highest level.
Josh Schoenfeld (EF) - you wouldn't believe he was a wingman at AFL level. Handy on the inside, good by foot
Greg Clark (S) - should have been drafted as junior, can play inside and win the footy, outside and deliver it well by foot
Noah Pegoraro (WP) - everyone has their favourites, this kid is mine. 194cm key defender, plays tall, good leap (can pinch hit in the ruck), reads the play well.

Others to look at: Bailey Rogers (C), Harrison Marsh (S), Jack Buller (C), Jonathon Marsh (EF), Jake Patmore (C), Matthew Parker (SF), Lachlan Martinis (C)

Players with talent who probably don't have the points of difference to get drafted: Jye Bolton (C), Tyler Keitel (WP), Haiden Schloithe (SF), Milan Murdock (EF)

Luke Strnadica (EF) - Has been on a list before, was stuck deep in the ruck pecking order at Freo. Has flourished since Jon Griffin retired as EF's #1 ruck.
Sam Fisher (SD) - unsure how he'd do not being the #1 mid choice, but he's got great hands, decent run and carry, and can hit a target by foot
Cody Ninyette (SF) - needs to be given a chance. He's only 23, has kicked 12 goals in 3 weeks. All he does is create goalscoring opportunities. He's strong for his size, and could absolutely make a different at the highest level.
Josh Schoenfeld (EF) - you wouldn't believe he was a wingman at AFL level. Handy on the inside, good by foot
Greg Clark (S) - should have been drafted as junior, can play inside and win the footy, outside and deliver it well by foot
Noah Pegoraro (WP) - everyone has their favourites, this kid is mine. 194cm key defender, plays tall, good leap (can pinch hit in the ruck), reads the play well.

Others to look at: Bailey Rogers (C), Harrison Marsh (S), Jack Buller (C), Jonathon Marsh (EF), Jake Patmore (C), Matthew Parker (SF), Lachlan Martinis (C)

Players with talent who probably don't have the points of difference to get drafted: Jye Bolton (C), Tyler Keitel (WP), Haiden Schloithe (SF), Milan Murdock (EF)
Oliver Eastland injured?

Oliver Eastland injured?
Did a hamstring early in R2. I've personally never been that much of a fan as a genuine #1 ruck just because of his height (196), but I think there's something to work with if a club was to take a flyer on him.

Did a hamstring early in R2. I've personally never been that much of a fan as a genuine #1 ruck just because of his height (196), but I think there's something to work with if a club was to take a flyer on him.
I've always been interested, and I've heard he's grown into 198/199 territory now.

I am a big fan of the youth at Swan Districts this year.

Waite had multiple 'wow' moments with his kicking on the weekend.

Cipro has good pace for his size and uses it well

Frank Anderson is starting to produce the numbers you would expect in the midfield. Always been a player worth watching.

Reidy and Edwards are classy medium forwards.

I've always been interested, and I've heard he's grown into 198/199 territory now.
I'd love to see him go up against Strnadica (R7) so he should be fit. I think Gault definitely had his measure in R1, and he looks a lot better playing as the sole ruck. Goddard leaving was the best thing that could have happened for him.

I am a big fan of the youth at Swan Districts this year.

Waite had multiple 'wow' moments with his kicking on the weekend.

Cipro has good pace for his size and uses it well

Frank Anderson is starting to produce the numbers you would expect in the midfield. Always been a player worth watching.

Reidy and Edwards are classy medium forwards.
Waite is a favourite of mine but uncontested ball-winning half back flankers are a dime a dozen and he reminds me a lot of Johannisen without the pace, slightly better kicking. Anderson is great at finding it but his kicking isn't great, has lapses in concentration I think which sets him apart from the top echelon of mids in the comp. I also like Cipro but needs to start producing his best every week to be in this conversation. I think Edwards has a lot more to give, there's a lot of talent there. Reidy's never been someone who I've looked at and seen AFL level talent in, but he's a very good WAFL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back