Review 2021 Mid Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coverage starts at 6.30PM on the AFL website and AFL app:

The draft itself starts at 7pm (AEST)

The draft order for the mid-season rookie draft is the reverse ladder order after Round 11, with the number of picks dependent on the number of open list spots. (Spots opened up as LTIs/retirees are put on the inactive list.)

Last edited:

Should stop anyone from criticising North for passing on a tall forward in last year’s draft.

Never been too fussed about that, we drafted one with our first pick in 2019 we truly expected to play this year. Depth has been massively exposed though and a prime ruck prospect/KP player just to learn under Goldstein is a massive need.

Never been too fussed about that, we drafted one with our first pick in 2019 we truly expected to play this year. Depth has been massively exposed though and a prime ruck prospect/KP player just to learn under Goldstein is a massive need.
Why can't Charlie Comben be this player?

Are his injuries terminal?

North's KPP's 25 and under are Xerri, Larkey, Comben and McKay. Larkey looks a really good prospect, McKay has improved quite a bit, but Xerri and Comben are both still speculative. Personally feel they should have gone Heath Chapman with their pick 10 or so.

Why can't Charlie Comben be this player?

Are his injuries terminal?

I think Comben can still be the foil for Larkey, Edwards would ideally be the developing depth and maybe Goldstein replacement.

Personally feel they should have gone Heath Chapman with their pick 10 or so.

Still got to build a midfield... Powell looks a gem at the moment.

North's KPP's 25 and under are Xerri, Larkey, Comben and McKay. Larkey looks a really good prospect, McKay has improved quite a bit, but Xerri and Comben are both still speculative. Personally feel they should have gone Heath Chapman with their pick 10 or so.

Yeah, nah. Pretty stoked with Powell thanks.

Chapman a massive flight risk having a brother with health difficulties that he is really to close with.

I think Comben can still be the foil for Larkey, Edwards would ideally be the developing depth and maybe Goldstein replacement.

Still got to build a midfield... Powell looks a gem at the moment.
You also need KPP's. I'm not saying Powell isn't looking good, I like him quite a bit. However I think Chapman was better suited to your needs.
Yeah, nah. Pretty stoked with Powell thanks.
Powell is good, just feel you needed to take a KPP with one of the two first round picks.
Chapman a massive flight risk having a brother with health difficulties that he is really to close with.
Ah, I was unaware of that. Fair enough then.

You also need KPP's. I'm not saying Powell isn't looking good, I like him quite a bit. However I think Chapman was better suited to your needs.

Powell is good, just feel you needed to take a KPP with one of the two first round picks.

Ah, I was unaware of that. Fair enough then.

It's all relative I guess, we can remedy it six months later. Problem is we were only really in a zone for say two quality talls - McDonald at 3 but we probably wouldn't reach for Cox or Reid that early, similarly only really Chapman at 13 but as mentioned previously the go-home was probably bigger with him than even McDonald. Then it comes down to McDonald v Phillips and to be honest from day one Phillips has just made all the right noises to show we can forego six months of development into a tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all relative I guess, we can remedy it six months later. Problem is we were only really in a zone for say two quality talls - McDonald at 3 but we probably wouldn't reach for Cox or Reid that early, similarly only really Chapman at 13 but as mentioned previously the go-home was probably bigger with him than even McDonald. Then it comes down to McDonald v Phillips and to be honest from day one Phillips has just made all the right noises to show we can forego six months of development into a tall.
I think Grainger-Barrass at 3 would have been a goer.

It was also looking at this year's draft, which was overwhelmingly filled with midfielders. I think if we'd gone only one of Cox or Reid and taken another midfielder (like Powell) you would have taken the other.

If the go-home factor was real, that makes the 2021 draft an issue as the first round tall talent is all WA as well.
As it stands it may all be moot after the mid-season draft anyway if the Edwards hype is real

I think Grainger-Barrass at 3 would have been a goer.

It was also looking at this year's draft, which was overwhelmingly filled with midfielders. I think if we'd gone only one of Cox or Reid and taken another midfielder (like Powell) you would have taken the other.

Yeah, I did forget DGB who I was equally fond of. It's a weird one, it seems the club was convinced and settled on Phillips well before the draft and for all the external noise about us taking a KP and the media/online talk about the mistake of taking Will over McDonald, people seem to forget heading into the draft we were linked more with Elijah Hollands.

On your second point I agree definitely... perhaps we thought Powell would be gone and he was too good to pass up.

If the go-home factor was real, that makes the 2021 draft an issue as the first round tall talent is all WA as well.
As it stands it may all be moot after the mid-season draft anyway if the Edwards hype is real

Yeah, it's hypothetical and I don't necessarily subscribe to go-home factor (in our choice on McDonald primarily, I think we settled on Phillips way out and may have hoped we could trade down and still take him) but Chapman was always iffy heading in as all the media was about how close he and his disabled brother are despite his proclamations he'd go anywhere. The club has been pretty outspoken that their rebuild method is to start from the midfield out so perhaps that's the only reasoning to take away from those first picks.

As for the WA talent this year I think we'd need to get a PP to be close to Van Rooyen for example and I don't see it happening. And yeah, Edwards might solve some dramas long term but we're still a month out. I want him primarily as I have close ties to Mentone Grammar.

There is a fair possibility the first tall called out in the draft is Victorian actually.

No reason we can't trade up if we really wanted him.

I suspect we will have a few end of R1 picks by the end of the year.

Will he nominate? If I’m a hyped up draft prospect I’d wait till the national draft and secure a 2 year contract and avoid the risk of only spending half a season on an AFL list.

Will he nominate? If I’m a hyped up draft prospect I’d wait till the national draft and secure a 2 year contract and avoid the risk of only spending half a season on an AFL list.

Is the risk any different if he stays doing what he's doing and does a knee or turns into a pumpkin (which would be the sort of thing that would see a club that drafted him early in the MSD end up delisting him after six months anyway)? If he's this highly rated now and gets to the end of this season and finds himself delisted he wouldn't deserve a list spot (flip side, he'd be a delisted free agent).

Is the risk any different if he stays doing what he's doing and does a knee or turns into a pumpkin (which would be the sort of thing that would see a club that drafted him early in the MSD end up delisting him after six months anyway)? If he's this highly rated now and gets to the end of this season and finds himself delisted he wouldn't deserve a list spot (flip side, he'd be a delisted free agent).

Yeah maybe not as important for such a highly rated prospect. It just seemed some players got a raw deal from the 2019 mid season draft.

Yeah maybe not as important for such a highly rated prospect. It just seemed some players got a raw deal from the 2019 mid season draft.

True, and you’d argue it’s hard for a bloke to prove their worth in 3-4 months. It should be a guaranteed 1.5 year deal which would stop clubs putting so many on to LTI’s to dip into this well.

You’d image Edwards agent would be having a few talks with North.

He’s a long term prospect, so North would be making a long term commitment to him.

Does a mid season rookie contract, plus two more years on the rookie list mean he’ll get more money than a standard first round draft contract?

He’s a long term prospect, so North would be making a long term commitment to him.

Does a mid season rookie contract, plus two more years on the rookie list mean he’ll get more money than a standard first round draft contract?

I’m not sure.

A similar situation I’ve thought about is if you’re a gun draftee who gets drafted in the rookie draft. Is there a limit on how much you can earn in your second year?

I’m not sure.

A similar situation I’ve thought about is if you’re a gun draftee who gets drafted in the rookie draft. Is there a limit on how much you can earn in your second year?
There's a limit to how much is out of the cap

May not be the case if they’re tall but let’s say there’s a Rowell/Mcgrath/Walsh out there in terms of AFL readiness and they go to a rebuilding side and slot straight in it may well work in their favour money wise.

They could shred it and get a 2 year contract on average wage as opposed to draftee wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back