Review 2021 Mid Season Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coverage starts at 6.30PM on the AFL website and AFL app:

The draft itself starts at 7pm (AEST)

The draft order for the mid-season rookie draft is the reverse ladder order after Round 11, with the number of picks dependent on the number of open list spots. (Spots opened up as LTIs/retirees are put on the inactive list.)

Last edited:
Davo-27 has the following 19 year olds in his early top 35, overall rankings in his top 35 on the left.

18. Chance Doultree - Gippsland - 183cm 74kg (19)
21. Luis D'Angelo - Gippsland - 184cm 85kg (19)
22. Dylan Thomas - Oakleigh - 187cm 77kg (19)
28. Jacob Edwards - Sandringham - 202cm 83kg (19)

Caleb Poulter is right in the mix for that top 5 imho

18 & a goal (round 1), another 27 today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb Poulter is right in the mix for that top 5 imho

18 & a goal (round 1), another 27 today

He'd be an even better chance if he wasn't already on a list

Jeremy Goddard from the WAFL is now playing for Frankston in the new VFL. One to watch

I have seen a lot of Goddard at Claremont over the last five seasons, he is a handy hard working player at the ruck contest.
Once the ball hits the ground he has no influence what so ever, and doesn't get involved in the game apart from ruck work.

So I would be very surprised if thats changed since he left Claremont, where he was battling to hold his spot in the reserves.

Josh Watson (Northern) best player and 3 goals for Collegians in VAFA Premier division yesterday

AFL teams should careful with how they rate the 19 year old NAB leaguers. They are at a massive advantage in that league.

Their performances at VFL level are much more important.

Sanders and Raak managed to find a bit of it over the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jye Menzie from Tassie had a good game against Eastern in midfield, which is a change from his small forward position he has played in the past, looked really good there too, looks to have improved a bit.

Just read this on our board which could be relevant to Raak.
From the MSD rules "Players who have committed to another year with a Northern or Next Generation Academy are ineligible."
Not sure if Raak has formally committed to our NGA for another year for 2021.

From the MSD rules "Players who have committed to another year with a Northern or Next Generation Academy are ineligible."

Given he's playing for Footscray's VFL side, I imagine he has. Lucky break for the Dogs.

That’s no longer the case for Northern academy clubs, had it confirmed yesterday.

It was definitely the rule in 2019.

But we were reliably informed yesterday that any of our U19 kids who declared for the draft last year are available to any club at the mid season draft.

But if they miss out at the mid season draft, then we have priority access to them and can match a bid in the National Draft.

That’s no longer the case for Northern academy clubs, had it confirmed yesterday.

It was definitely the rule in 2019.

But we were reliably informed yesterday that any of our U19 kids who declared for the draft last year are available to any club at the mid season draft.

But if they miss out at the mid season draft, then we have priority access to them and can match a bid in the National Draft.
That’s how we thought it worked.

Given he's playing for Footscray's VFL side, I imagine he has. Lucky break for the Dogs.
As he's with the Jets and thats the Bulldogs aligned zone, likelihood is even without the NGA link he'd be playing for footscray VFL

I thought the NGA/academy thing was addressed in an article early this month:

CLUBS have been told they will regain the rights to Academy-tied over-age prospects in this season's NAB AFL Draft, should they not be recruited to a rival team during the upcoming Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

It leaves a host of draft hopefuls with an added layer of certainty ahead of both the mid-season and national drafts, with clubs set to regain their ability to win first access to overage Academy-tied players should they not land a spot on a rival club's rookie list throughout the year.

Previously in 2019 when the Mid-Season Rookie Draft was reintroduced, overage prospects still involved in either Northern Academy or NGA programs could not nominate for the mid-season draft unless they cut all Academy ties.

That means the likes of Driscoll and Raak, among others, can this year elect to nominate for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft, where they could be recruited to any AFL club across the country, and still remain Academy-tied for November's NAB AFL Draft.

So even if Raak is still in the Western Bulldogs NGA academy, he can still nominate and be taken in the MSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back