2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
When the biggest club in the state doesn't have 100K fans I fail to see how the little brother will.

It's all well and good to set targets, but there's very little chance it actually happens.
They will change the narrative and add E memberships to there existing count, or use Twitter, Facebook etc,

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Not if you talk to a Port fan, they think their list is set for a decade of domination. 'The kids are better than our older players' 'You're just jealous' etc

They can say what they want, but the reality is that their best two players are turning 33 this year and aside from Wines they have very little talent in the mid 20s bracket.

The teams that go on to become a dynasty all have a core of super talented guys in their mid 20s whereas most of Port's talent sits in the 30+ bracket.

Neil Craig would be about the only person out there that would believe that you can build a 5 year dynasty around a core group of players who are aged 30+

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is this an old quote - they just got the team pic wrong (port instead of Richmond) and it was actually Hardwick a few seasons back?

Without wanting to put too fine a point on it, I don't see port winning A flag in the next 5 years with Grey, Boak, Hartlett, Dixon, Motlop, Rockliff etc all getting very close to or hitting their 30's. Maybe we will be able to build a better side for the next flag from SA in the next 5 seasons? - we have certainly started to put the pieces in place and fingers crossed the kids we have drafted can all come on like we hope
They're including womens and SANFL premierships in the 5.

Thats a womens team that doesn't exist yet.

And their SANFL team that just played a trial match and went scoreless in a half of footy.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
They will change the narrative and add E memberships to there existing count, or use Twitter, Facebook etc,
They have already started a clothing range for their additional members

1613358263820.png

They can say what they want, but the reality is that their best two players are turning 33 this year and aside from Wines they have very little talent in the mid 20s bracket.

The teams that go on to become a dynasty all have a core of super talented guys in their mid 20s whereas most of Port's talent sits in the 30+ bracket.

Neil Craig would be about the only person out there that would believe that you can build a 5 year dynasty around a core group of players who are aged 30+

Yup, they're in an awkward spot for a genuine premiership push at the moment. Their next generation looks very promising though, so at least they'll be able to rebuild on the fly when Boak and co. retire.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Funny about the 5 years 3 premierships, had a friendly discussion with a mad Port supporter the other day,
when he mentioned that story, I replied with the Crows are closer to 3 in 5years than Port, when he quietened down, I mention the AFLW is in its 5th year. if the Crow wins the flag that 3 in Five years. It was fun watching him splutter. before saying that different.

Aug 13, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Funny about the 5 years 3 premierships, had a friendly discussion with a mad Port supporter the other day,
when he mentioned that story, I replied with the Crows are closer to 3 in 5years than Port, when he quietened down, I mention the AFLW is in its 5th year. if the Crow wins the flag that 3 in Five years. It was fun watching him splutter. before saying that different.
Do we count AFLX, that would make it 3 in 5 years?

When the biggest club in the state doesn't have 100K fans I fail to see how the little brother will.

It's all well and good to set targets, but there's very little chance it actually happens.

There's more chance of me scoring a date with Miranda Kerr.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I don't get it, unfortunately, we only have 1 spoon and yes we don't like it, but if I was a team with 3 spoons to their credit the last thing I would do is raise the question, of Spoon against a team with only 1.
Personally, I rather talk about Finals Appearances.
But I guess you Port supporters are a different breed.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
They might be, but you have to be somewhat realistic about it.

If you look at the age breakdown of their list there's no way that they're winning three flags in five years.

Maybe if they said this back in 2014 when Grey, Boak, Ebert etc were all in their prime it would have been more realistic, but with 7 players 30 or older on their list this year if anything they'll be staring down the face of a major rebuild in 2 to 3 years.
Dreams are nice, but in reality they are just dreams.
S'funny I never mentioned achievability or dreams

I like how they have made a statement of intent rather than some meandering philosophy

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
I don't get it, unfortunately, we only have 1 spoon and yes we don't like it, but if I was a team with 3 spoons to their credit the last thing I would do is raise the question, of Spoon against a team with only 1.
Personally, I rather talk about Finals Appearances.
But I guess you Port supporters are a different breed.
We could talk finals wins and who had more last decade?

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

She says hi by the way

Its true - they have pet memberships. Maybe they will get to 100k memberships as power flogs can register each of their goldfish to become a member

Pets too can now become Port Adelaide members
MEET some of Port Adelaide's newest members - Pippi, Phoebe and Max.

MEET some of Port Adelaide's newest members - Pippi, Phoebe and Max.
They are a much-loved part of the family for star Power recruit Angus Monfries, whose commitment to his new club includes every man and his dog.
The pooches became Power pets after Angus's mum, Liz, signed them - and seven other family members - up this year as part of Port Adelaide's push for 40,000 members. "We don't do things half-heartedly - it's one-in, all-in for the Monfries," she said.
"I walk the dogs wearing their Power membership medallions in Kensington Park which has more Crows supporters (than Power fans). It does generate some comment."
Ms Monfries said the collapsible Power bowls, provided as part of the $20 annual pet membership, came in handy to provide a drink for the doggies.
At least seven other AFL clubs offered pet memberships and Port had resurrected the concept - originally offered in the 1990s - due to popular demand, said club spokesman Andrew Rutter.
"The concept has been popular - with 300 signed up - because pets are part of people's families and they are as passionate about them as they are about the club," Mr Rutter said.
Port, which plays its season-opener against Melbourne on Sunday, has more than 34,000 members this season, better than at this time last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back