Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

SPS will most likely never become a gun midfielder. Isn’t fit enough to do it consistently over a season.

Considering he is still basically learning the half back role he has done very well. No reason why he can’t make that spot his own for the next 10 years.
This is the salient point when it comes to SPS being able to play wing, he just doesn’t have anywhere near the tank to play wing and would probably struggle as a full time mid, can and probably should be used at times in bursts through the middle especially if we are getting beaten in ground ball as this is his best feature.

Fair enough, i thought he had a solid year... I think and expect him too really go next level next year particularly with more midfield time, be interesting where how the club see’s his output in this years B&F...
Should be top 10 easily...
When he plays higher up the ground his work rate is first class people need to watch how hard and how often he pushes up and back to provide a marking target especially as an option for us coming out of defence, and as soon as he dished off he runs hard to get used again further up the ground, it is no surprise he drifts out of the game playing in our forward line which has very little set structure from entry to entry but as far as work rate goes I have no question marks with Martin.

Made it down to Ikon yesterday, first time this year. Managed to sneak in, not telling how. Struck it lucky as the boys played a full match sim, probables v possibles. They lined up as follows:

Probables (CFC jumpers)
Plowman, Jones, Docherty
Saad, Weiters, SPS
Murphy, Williams, Walsh,
Martin, McGovern, Fisher
Betts, McKay, Casboult
De Koning, Cripps, Setterfield
Bench: Dow, Fogarty, Williamson, E Curnow

Possibles (Orange strip)
Marchbank, Parks, Cottrell
Stocker, O McDonald, Newman
Newnes, Cuningham, O'Brien
Owies, Moore, Honey
Philp, Silvagni, Durdin
Pittonet, Kennedy, Gibbons
Carroll, Maher, Ramsay, North (VFL)

Scores: Probables 4.2 7.7 13.10 18.15 (123)
Possibles 1.4 3.6 7.10 12.13 (85)

Best in Blue - Weitering, Williams, Walsh, Fogarty, Cripps
Orange - Durdin, Silvagni, Stocker, Newman, Philp

Overall, the Blues controlled the match by winning the aerial contest easily, though the Orange were a little quicker around the packs and on the break. Weitering, Williams and Durdin would have got the votes today, and the coaches would have been well pleased with the intensity and skills. Thankfully no injuries to report, although De Koning didn’t reappear after half time and Murphy sat out the last quarter after coming off second best in a heavy clash with Cottrell.

Observations on individual players:

Silvagni: Brought that trademark desperation to every contest and did his chances no harm today. Outgunned early by Jones, but beat him in a couple of one-on-ones, which isn't easy to do. Could have made more of his opportunities and finished with 2.3. Struggled later when switched on to Weitering, who was BOG. Looks ready for something of a breakout season if he can stay in the 22, which is the real question. Really important for him to make that round 1 clash with the Tigers and cement his spot early in the season.

Dow: Very good game from Paddy, showed poise and composure over the ball and got quite a lot of it, especially in the last quarter when Cripps was rested. The explosiveness has returned, maybe even improved. Made good decisions and his disposal was reliable all day. Looks set for a solid year in the engine room. Looks bigger, stringer and fitter this year, as others have noted.

Murphy: Not dominant today but did his job well when it was his turn. Attended a few centre bounces, linked up on the wing really well - mainly receiving from Docherty and hitting targets in the front half. Sat out the last quarter after being mowed down by Cottrell. Moving ok after the match and all smiles so no concerns there.

O'Brien: Didn't get many possessions but by geez he is a beautiful kick. Lace out pass to Silvagni on the Gardiner stand flank was a thing of beauty. Wish he could find it more often.

SPS: Top game from SPS off half back, smooth like a softly purring Ferrari. His deadly precision with the ball combined with Saad's run and carry gives our back half rebound some real potency and variety. They will make some opposition midfielders and defenders look stupid this year. His game has gone up a notch from last year and he looks like he will be in the game a lot more.

Williams: Wow. Was in the guts all day and ran hard both ways. Better defensively than I had realised - more so because of his clever positioning than his physical presence. Reads the play as well as anyone. Picked up possessions at will and he's one of those guys that, when he gets his hands on it, you just know something good is about to happen most of the time. Will be the recruit of the year, and I'm not just talking about Carlton. Can't figure out why the Giants didn't use him more in the midfield. That performance would normally earn the three votes, but Weitering was beyond sublime, more of that later.

Kennedy: Useful all day and tried his guts out for the Orange team. Solid without being influential. Won a fair share of midfield contests given that he played in a losing side. Don't think he's in our best 22 but he's not out of place at the level and wouldn't be a liability if called upon.

Fogarty: Was easily the surprise of the day. Worked hard in the midfield and forward half, making the defenders' jobs more awkward. Frequently found, or created, a couple of metres of open space and usually took full advantage. Classy disposal whether under pressure or not. A couple of nice running goals and a solid contribution in the engine room. Very happy with this acquisition, and looking forward to cheering him on for the next ten years on today's form.

Cripps: It seemed like he'd been told to ease himself back into it gradually, but he just couldn't help himself. Broke the game wide open in the second and third quarters and put his stamp on the outcome in no uncertain terms. Gets his hands free when it seems impossible, and his radar for finding targets by hand is phenomenal. Bursting through and away from packs is just what he does... sit back and marvel. Late in the game spent he some minutes in the orange guernsey in the forwardline. Took a nice contested mark on Jones but, you guessed it, missed the goal. Sat out the last fifteen minutes or so.

McKay: Big H was pretty good today, finishing with four goals. Kicked a couple of set shots from the boundary line on the right hand side, which seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for him. I think he was staying closer to goals than for most of last season, perhaps because the supply from upfield was mode frequent and of better quality. Was just too tall for any of Moore, Parks and Marchbank and his pace at ground level caused problems for all the defenders. Orange side double teamed him most of the game, leaving McGovern to benefit at times.

McGovern: Three goals from Mitch was a fitting reward for what was a pretty solid game. Ran hard and made plenty of leads, maybe some of them were decoys but they were nearly all to dangerous positions. The near constant wet days of last season had made me forget what a beautiful mark he is when the conditions are more suited to his game, as they were today. I must own up to being a bit critical of Mitch in the past couple of years, but he earned his money today and looks to have some confidence back.

De Koning: Still a bit of a raw and gangly colt at times, but may well have more upside than anyone else on our list. Beat Pittonet quite easily in the first half, but was not seen in the second half. Can sometimes put it on a plate for the midfielders, I'm sure this will start to happen more often with more games under his belt. When rested, went to the bench rather than the forward line today. His best is still at least three years away but hopefully will be worth the wait.

Stocker: best game I've seen from him, not that I've seen very many. Matched up on Honey for the first half and beat him well. Switched to Durdin after half time, which was a good battle. Durdin had been on fire until then, but Stocker was able to douse the flames somewhat and they probably broke even. Also bigger and stronger than last year, good disposal and decision making today. Like a few others I think he is not quite best 22, but might be hard to dislodge once he gets his chance.

More to follow when I get a chance to write it up. Very excited about Durdin.

Oh, and if you happen to catch COVID, I’ve heard that hydroxychloroquine works really well.
Great job ESO thanks for the write up it is greatly appreciated, rapped with the young guys really starting to step up there games especially Dow.

Not surprised at all re Williams as I’ve watched all his games in the midfield from 2019 and he dominated in a lot more than just the final, sets up well at the centre bounces and starts with a defensive mindset first and then attacks when he wins possession.

Happy to hear Fog did well as he was my man that I said we should go after before it was announced we were into him, classy ball user and a great pair of hands in close should add plenty to our side. Very happy to hear Durdin in the best as I had my doubts when we drafted him but more than happy to be wrong. Again great write up and thanks.

Great job ESO thanks for the write up it is greatly appreciated, rapped with the young guys really starting to step up there games especially Dow.

Not surprised at all re Williams as I’ve watched all his games in the midfield from 2019 and he dominated in a lot more than just the final, sets up well at the centre bounces and starts with a defensive mindset first and then attacks when he wins possession.

Happy to hear Fog did well as he was my man that I said we should go after before it was announced we were into him, classy ball user and a great pair of hands in close should add plenty to our side. Very happy to hear Durdin in the best as I had my doubts when we drafted him but more than happy to be wrong. Again great write up and thanks.

Its fake

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off the guesSEN site regarding young defenders who might progress this season.

Caleb Marchbank (Carlton)

Like Gold Coast’s Charlie Ballard and Sydney’s Tom McCartin, Caleb Marchbank has also played 48 career games. The difference is that Marchbank is three years older.

The talented third tall in defence missed the entire 2020 season with ongoing neck and knee injuries and is yet to put a full season together in his career.
He has the skills to flourish in a Carlton backline where he will likely play as an intercept marker and use his skills to attack off half-back.

Marchbank is comfortably in the Blues’ best 22 when healthy, and looms as a player that could greatly improve Carlton’s overall defence in 2021 if he gets a solid run at it.

Made it down to Ikon yesterday, first time this year. Managed to sneak in, not telling how. Struck it lucky as the boys played a full match sim, probables v possibles. They lined up as follows:

Probables (CFC jumpers)
Plowman, Jones, Docherty
Saad, Weiters, SPS
Murphy, Williams, Walsh,
Martin, McGovern, Fisher
Betts, McKay, Casboult

Possibles (Orange strip)
Owies, Moore, Honey
Philp, Silvagni, Durdin

Overall, the Blues controlled the match by winning the aerial contest easily, though the Orange were a little quicker around the packs and on the break. Weitering, Williams and Durdin would have got the votes today, and the coaches would have been well pleased with the intensity and skills. Thankfully no injuries to report, although De Koning didn’t reappear after half time and Murphy sat out the last quarter after coming off second best in a heavy clash with Cottrell.

Silvagni: Brought that trademark desperation to every contest and did his chances no harm today. Outgunned early by Jones, but beat him in a couple of one-on-ones, which isn't easy to do. Could have made more of his opportunities and finished with 2.3. Struggled later when switched on to Weitering, who was BOG. Looks ready for something of a breakout season if he can stay in the 22, which is the real question. Really important for him to make that round 1 clash with the Tigers and cement his spot early in the season.

Dow: Very good game from Paddy, showed poise and composure over the ball and got quite a lot of it, especially in the last quarter when Cripps was rested. The explosiveness has returned, maybe even improved. Made good decisions and his disposal was reliable all day. Looks set for a solid year in the engine room. Looks bigger, stringer and fitter this year, as others have noted.

Murphy: Not dominant today but did his job well when it was his turn. Attended a few centre bounces, linked up on the wing really well - mainly receiving from Docherty and hitting targets in the front half. Sat out the last quarter after being mowed down by Cottrell. Moving ok after the match and all smiles so no concerns there.

O'Brien: Didn't get many possessions but by geez he is a beautiful kick. Lace out pass to Silvagni on the Gardiner stand flank was a thing of beauty. Wish he could find it more often.

SPS: Top game from SPS off half back, smooth like a softly purring Ferrari. His deadly precision with the ball combined with Saad's run and carry gives our back half rebound some real potency and variety. They will make some opposition midfielders and defenders look stupid this year. His game has gone up a notch from last year and he looks like he will be in the game a lot more.

Williams: Wow. Was in the guts all day and ran hard both ways. Better defensively than I had realised - more so because of his clever positioning than his physical presence. Reads the play as well as anyone. Picked up possessions at will and he's one of those guys that, when he gets his hands on it, you just know something good is about to happen most of the time. Will be the recruit of the year, and I'm not just talking about Carlton. Can't figure out why the Giants didn't use him more in the midfield. That performance would normally earn the three votes, but Weitering was beyond sublime, more of that later.

Kennedy: Useful all day and tried his guts out for the Orange team. Solid without being influential. Won a fair share of midfield contests given that he played in a losing side. Don't think he's in our best 22 but he's not out of place at the level and wouldn't be a liability if called upon.

Fogarty: Was easily the surprise of the day. Worked hard in the midfield and forward half, making the defenders' jobs more awkward. Frequently found, or created, a couple of metres of open space and usually took full advantage. Classy disposal whether under pressure or not. A couple of nice running goals and a solid contribution in the engine room. Very happy with this acquisition, and looking forward to cheering him on for the next ten years on today's form.

Cripps: It seemed like he'd been told to ease himself back into it gradually, but he just couldn't help himself. Broke the game wide open in the second and third quarters and put his stamp on the outcome in no uncertain terms. Gets his hands free when it seems impossible, and his radar for finding targets by hand is phenomenal. Bursting through and away from packs is just what he does... sit back and marvel. Late in the game spent he some minutes in the orange guernsey in the forwardline. Took a nice contested mark on Jones but, you guessed it, missed the goal. Sat out the last fifteen minutes or so.

McKay: Big H was pretty good today, finishing with four goals. Kicked a couple of set shots from the boundary line on the right hand side, which seems to be a bit of a sweet spot for him. I think he was staying closer to goals than for most of last season, perhaps because the supply from upfield was mode frequent and of better quality. Was just too tall for any of Moore, Parks and Marchbank and his pace at ground level caused problems for all the defenders. Orange side double teamed him most of the game, leaving McGovern to benefit at times.

McGovern: Three goals from Mitch was a fitting reward for what was a pretty solid game. Ran hard and made plenty of leads, maybe some of them were decoys but they were nearly all to dangerous positions. The near constant wet days of last season had made me forget what a beautiful mark he is when the conditions are more suited to his game, as they were today. I must own up to being a bit critical of Mitch in the past couple of years, but he earned his money today and looks to have some confidence back.

De Koning: Still a bit of a raw and gangly colt at times, but may well have more upside than anyone else on our list. Beat Pittonet quite easily in the first half, but was not seen in the second half. Can sometimes put it on a plate for the midfielders, I'm sure this will start to happen more often with more games under his belt. When rested, went to the bench rather than the forward line today. His best is still at least three years away but hopefully will be worth the wait.

Stocker: best game I've seen from him, not that I've seen very many. Matched up on Honey for the first half and beat him well. Switched to Durdin after half time, which was a good battle. Durdin had been on fire until then, but Stocker was able to douse the flames somewhat and they probably broke even. Also bigger and stronger than last year, good disposal and decision making today. Like a few others I think he is not quite best 22, but might be hard to dislodge once he gets his chance.

Oh, and if you happen to catch COVID, I’ve heard that hydroxychloroquine works really well.
Damn!

I was busy and didn't realised I was tricked :mad:

But, a great write up :D

Last edited:

Probables (CFC jumpers)
Plowman, Jones, Docherty
Saad, Weiters, SPS
Murphy, Williams, Walsh,
Martin, McGovern, Fisher
Betts, McKay, Casboult

Possibles (Orange strip)
Owies, Moore, Honey
Philp, Silvagni, Durdin

How did Parks go....he went on the tram I heard......but not sure if he got a lift home?

Probables (CFC jumpers)
Plowman, Jones, Docherty
Saad, Weiters, SPS
Murphy, Williams, Walsh,
Martin, McGovern, Fisher
Betts, McKay, Casboult

Possibles (Orange strip)
Owies, Moore, Honey
Philp, Silvagni, Durdin

You filthy animal ESO, hook line and sinker...

Probables (CFC jumpers)
Plowman, Jones, Docherty
Saad, Weiters, SPS
Murphy, Williams, Walsh,
Martin, McGovern, Fisher
Betts, McKay, Casboult

Possibles (Orange strip)
Owies, Moore, Honey
Philp, Silvagni, Durdin

Well that's a world record for the club getting the injury news about TDK out into the public for once , I reckon the news was out just after lunch and the injury happened at what time you think ??

He definitely had me going though and was most excited about Durdin , if he is as good as we want/need and from early reports is looking good then that little tidbit was like heaven to my ears . But like most of us that last sentence gave it away . Maybe the Trump fans didn't see it though !?

He definitely had me going though and was most excited about Durdin , if he is as good as we want/need and from early reports is looking good then that little tidbit was like heaven to my ears . But like most of us that last sentence gave it away . Maybe the Trump fans didn't see it though !?
It was added later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back