News 2021 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That the LoneDog or Butts? Kenty played like a blue heeler last week usually more like a fat Labrador.

Ha ha that is such an apt description.
He is a bit short and squat, and appears to be a little tubby around the middle.

"And also, poor bugger is nicknamed ‘Coops’ and he represents the Saints. Maybe Tom Morris can secure an interview where Coops can assure us he is the sole third forward in the St Kilda line up… just in case anyone was wondering."

View attachment 1200375
I didn't get this reference. What's the significance of the name Coops to us?

St Kilda Saints ready to snap 22-year losing streak, says coach Brett Ratten
St Kilda coach Brett Ratten says the Saints are ready to snap their Kardinia Park hoodoo when they face they Cats in Geelong next week.

Michael Randall

4 min read
August 8, 2021 - 2:36PM
NCA NewsWire

Pause
Loaded: 65.03%

Current Time 0:28
/
Duration 2:18

Fullscreen
Foxsports
Saints stunningly upset Swans!

NOW PLAYING
Resume

2:10
UP NEXT
  • 61b11d0daf534ee70a3e17c410303b9c

Pyke's 'favourite' for Pies gig
    1:12

• 0890edb6e324944df6eb8f9b678482a0

Pure Footy - Episode 20
    23:18

• a9e6863ff56b2559a0e951b3c2afe587

Sam Mitchell on takeover: It's been a strange day
    1:42

• 66e4453b8ceca00a97195610ee06abf5

KFC SuperCoach Buy Hold Sell: Round 21
    3:33

• a6ebde5920ede67d9c10ab4a7a3410c4

KFC SuperCoach AFL: Hot & Cold, Round 20
    2:32

• 89b1744f9ed4f1e15172a105ded0f6af

Hawks v Pies clash moved to the MCG due to sudden lockdown
    1:54

• f2ac843d3519ded7f1b2e95c61101081

Lin Jong's emotional farewell: Don't feel sorry for me
    1:40
AFL: The Sydney Swans have presented St Kilda with a finals chance after a big upset in round 21.

It’s been a long, long time since St Kilda defeated Geelong down at Cattery.
But coach Brett Ratten believes now is as good a time as any to break a two-decade hoodoo and keep his club’s minute chance of finals footy alive.
Round 10, 1999, was the last time the Saints won a match at Kardinia Park – Big bustling Barry Hall booted four goals and club legend Nathan Burke was awarded the three Brownlow votes for best on ground.
Fast forward to today and the Saints have been buoyed by a season-saving win over top-four candidate Sydney.
Ratten says that gives his charges confidence heading into next week – where it is literally win or go home, given they now sit two points and percentage outside the eight, with two to play.

Current Collingwood coach Robert Harvey played for the Saints the last time they defeated Geelong at Kardinia Park.
“We’re just going to try and finish the home-and-away rounds and keep pushing to win games of footy,” Ratten said after his side’s 29-point win over the Swans.
“The Cats next week down there, huge challenge. I don’t think we’ve won for 20 years, something like that, so no bigger challenge.
“We want to make sure we take steps forward as a team and to get a consistent performance like that (against Sydney) was critical.
“The way we played last week (in the loss to Carlton) was below par, average, didn’t have a lot of energy. Today, it was nearly completely opposite. We were full of energy and that showed in the game.”

Ratten was particularly pleased with the efforts of his young brigade and sees the clash with an angry Cats side coming off a shock loss to GWS as a learning experience for the likes of Cooper Sharman, Leo Connolly, Tom Highmore and Ryan Byrnes.
“To see some of the young kids; Cooper Sharman developing, Byrnes was pretty quiet in the first half but really came of age in the second and then Connolly, as well, developing; Highmore. These kids are our future,” Ratten said.
“To get some games into them and to play against some of the best teams in the comp late in the year, it’s going to be a challenge for them, but they will learn a lot.”
The task will become that much harder if key forward Max King fails to recover from the right adductor injury that forced him to be subbed off in the last quarter against Sydney.
“He went off, he was sore, we sort of gave him a bit of a go in the last quarter, but you could see he didn’t have the power in his leg,” Ratten said.
“He tried to get through, but he couldn’t so we couldn’t take the risk with that.
“He’ll be a test, he’s going to have to do everything right, it’ll be 50-50, I would think, for next week’s game.”

A few raised eyebrows when he first arrived fat and unfit though. Has come a hell of a long way since then.
Interesting, must have put in a huge pre season as I watched training down at Seaford on the Australia Day weekend. He was doing run throughs with Jack Steven.

Stuv was blowing like a steam train, Steele wouldn't have blown out a candle.

Interesting, must have put in a huge pre season as I watched training down at Seaford on the Australia Day weekend. He was doing run throughs with Jack Steven.

Stuv was blowing like a steam train, Steele wouldn't have blown out a candle.

I remember he came with a foot injury of some sort, but I certainly don’t remember him being fat and unfit.

I didn't get this reference. What's the significance of the name Coops to us?

Cooper Grech of AFL information, trades from Facebook is a notorious figure for "breaking" news and "upselling" saints players on his page lol.
Otherwise known as cooperg, sCoops, or Coops

Plus about 15 other names when he tried to get back on bigfooty after George perma banned him earlier this year lol

The point is, just because he's out of contract doesn't mean Gold Coast won't trade him to another Vic team if they are willing to give them a better outcome.

Cmon J, surely know that a club has zero control over where a player chooses to be traded to.

If Bing chooses StK this year & what we offer is insufficient, its simple… they keep him as he’s contracted. They hold all the cards.

Next year, out of contract & chooses StK then they are under pressure to accept something back or risk losing him for nothing.

Another club could offer 4 x 1st rounders & it wouldn’t matter. The power is in the player’s hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda Saints ready to snap 22-year losing streak, says coach Brett Ratten
St Kilda coach Brett Ratten says the Saints are ready to snap their Kardinia Park hoodoo when they face they Cats in Geelong next week.

Michael Randall

4 min read
August 8, 2021 - 2:36PM
NCA NewsWire

Pause
Loaded: 65.03%

Current Time 0:28
/
Duration 2:18

Fullscreen
Foxsports

NOW PLAYING
Resume

2:10
UP NEXT
  • 61b11d0daf534ee70a3e17c410303b9c

Pyke's 'favourite' for Pies gig
    1:12

• 0890edb6e324944df6eb8f9b678482a0

Pure Footy - Episode 20
    23:18

• a9e6863ff56b2559a0e951b3c2afe587

Sam Mitchell on takeover: It's been a strange day
    1:42

• 66e4453b8ceca00a97195610ee06abf5

KFC SuperCoach Buy Hold Sell: Round 21
    3:33

• a6ebde5920ede67d9c10ab4a7a3410c4

KFC SuperCoach AFL: Hot & Cold, Round 20
    2:32

• 89b1744f9ed4f1e15172a105ded0f6af

Hawks v Pies clash moved to the MCG due to sudden lockdown
    1:54

• f2ac843d3519ded7f1b2e95c61101081

Lin Jong's emotional farewell: Don't feel sorry for me
    1:40
AFL: The Sydney Swans have presented St Kilda with a finals chance after a big upset in round 21.

It’s been a long, long time since St Kilda defeated Geelong down at Cattery.
But coach Brett Ratten believes now is as good a time as any to break a two-decade hoodoo and keep his club’s minute chance of finals footy alive.
Round 10, 1999, was the last time the Saints won a match at Kardinia Park – Big bustling Barry Hall booted four goals and club legend Nathan Burke was awarded the three Brownlow votes for best on ground.
Fast forward to today and the Saints have been buoyed by a season-saving win over top-four candidate Sydney.
Ratten says that gives his charges confidence heading into next week – where it is literally win or go home, given they now sit two points and percentage outside the eight, with two to play.

Current Collingwood coach Robert Harvey played for the Saints the last time they defeated Geelong at Kardinia Park.
“We’re just going to try and finish the home-and-away rounds and keep pushing to win games of footy,” Ratten said after his side’s 29-point win over the Swans.
“The Cats next week down there, huge challenge. I don’t think we’ve won for 20 years, something like that, so no bigger challenge.
“We want to make sure we take steps forward as a team and to get a consistent performance like that (against Sydney) was critical.
“The way we played last week (in the loss to Carlton) was below par, average, didn’t have a lot of energy. Today, it was nearly completely opposite. We were full of energy and that showed in the game.”

Ratten was particularly pleased with the efforts of his young brigade and sees the clash with an angry Cats side coming off a shock loss to GWS as a learning experience for the likes of Cooper Sharman, Leo Connolly, Tom Highmore and Ryan Byrnes.
“To see some of the young kids; Cooper Sharman developing, Byrnes was pretty quiet in the first half but really came of age in the second and then Connolly, as well, developing; Highmore. These kids are our future,” Ratten said.
“To get some games into them and to play against some of the best teams in the comp late in the year, it’s going to be a challenge for them, but they will learn a lot.”
The task will become that much harder if key forward Max King fails to recover from the right adductor injury that forced him to be subbed off in the last quarter against Sydney.
“He went off, he was sore, we sort of gave him a bit of a go in the last quarter, but you could see he didn’t have the power in his leg,” Ratten said.
“He tried to get through, but he couldn’t so we couldn’t take the risk with that.
“He’ll be a test, he’s going to have to do everything right, it’ll be 50-50, I would think, for next week’s game.”
They lose any credibility in my opinion as soon as they mention "St Kilda Saints"

But Saint Kilda is our team?
St Kilda is our team.
Or the Saints.
But calling us the St Kilda Saints sounds like you just got off a plane from the States and you're trying to fit in.

Or maybe I'm just old.

If SHARMAN becomes the player he looks to have the potential to be the his highlight song might have to be David BOWIE'S STARMAN.

Once I started singing it in my head it was so hard to get SHARMAN out of my head...

then it has the line "Let the children do it "" or near enough ...quite appropriate...they're doing it for us at the moment. Go SAINTS...

then David BOWIE in Red White and Black...... has to be a significant!!!!

Cooper Grech of AFL information, trades from Facebook is a notorious figure for "breaking" news and "upselling" saints players on his page lol.
Otherwise known as cooperg, sCoops, or Coops

Plus about 15 other names when he tried to get back on bigfooty after George perma banned him earlier this year lol
I know that, well aware of that guy, but surely that's not the reference from the article. That crazy kid can't be that well known can he?

Edit: I guess it's Mongrel Punt, not SEN or something so it's possible that the author is referencing some No Mark from social media, but I still didn't get the joke about reassuring Tom Morris he's the sole third choice forward or whatever. Anyway, not important.

St Kilda is our team.
Or the Saints.
But calling us the St Kilda Saints sounds like you just got off a plane from the States and you're trying to fit in.

Or maybe I'm just old.
Each to their own but for me it's a non-issue. No one blinks if you hear Brisbane Lions or Adelaide Crows, don't see why we are any different. I grant you some do sound weird though, like Collingwood Magpies or Carlton Blues, but St Kilda Saints is fine for me.

It's like the fans that take umbrage at people pronouncing the "Saint" in our name instead of saying "Sn" - plenty of ex-players and coaches from our club say "SAINT Kilda" - I heard Stuart Trott saying the full word in a recent interview. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough full stop.

Port Adelaide has emerged as a free agency suitor for St Kilda's Jack Billings, according to Fox Footy.

The Power have reportedly expressed a preliminary interest in Billings with the 25-year-old eligible for restricted free agency at year’s end.

Fox Footy understands that the Saints have tabled the 144-game wingman a multi-year deal on reduced terms as he weighs up his future at Moorabbin.

A hamstring injury is likely to sideline Billings for the final two games of the home and away season.

The former No.3 pick in the 2013 draft is averaging 20 disposals per game in 2021.

Volume 0%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back