• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

We had a look at Brodie last year. I think we will again.
Do we really need another inside mid?
We've got 2 who can't play together, another one we're trying to turn into a tagger and Howe who is too good at VFL level but not good enough to push out Mitchell/Worpel. It's hardly a priority IMO. We need utility/outside types like Amon, Impey who can run and carry.

Wrong thread probably, but does anyone have a list of 2022 and 2023 prospective FAs ?

I'd prefer to just bring in under 22 yos this year and then go hard sell in 2 years.
2022: Short, Heeney, Daniels, Miller, Brayshaw, Amon, Moore

2023:Hipwood, Curnow, Crisp, Fiorini, Himmelberg, Finlayson, Oliver, Byrne-Jones, Gresham, Mills, Papley

Bolded are the ones we might have a chance at getting

2022: Short, Heeney, Daniels, Miller, Brayshaw, Amon, Moore

2023:Hipwood, Curnow, Crisp, Fiorini, Himmelberg, Finlayson, Oliver, Byrne-Jones, Gresham, Mills, Papley

Bolded are the ones we might have a chance at getting
Sheesh, not much to get excited about that lot.

IMHO any/all trade targets should be under 23 at the start of 2022, mobile/speedy, decent kicks and able to play midfield / forward or key forward. I don’t care if they aren’t interested in being unsociable. If they can keep the ball off the opposition and deliver it / mark it inside 50 then our major problems will start being addressed.

So I’d consider the following in no particular order:

Bailey Smith
Adam Cerra
Xavier Duursma
Xavier O’Halloran
James Rowbottom
Paddy Dow
Lochie O’Brien
Darcy Fogarty
Sam Flanders
Ed Richards

Why? All are young, talented and haven’t necessarily been given every (key) opportunity at their current club. They would be more central as players at Hawthorn and that has to be a big incentive. They will be able to add more to us than they are current being allowed to contribute at their current club

Dow and O'Brien aren't AFL standard. Mystifying recruiting from Carlton taking them top 10 in the same draft. The same draft we got Worpel and Moore for late picks.

Do we really need another inside mid?
We've got 2 who can't play together, another one we're trying to turn into a tagger and Howe who is too good at VFL level but not good enough to push out Mitchell/Worpel. It's hardly a priority IMO. We need utility/outside types like Amon, Impey who can run and carry.

We need midfield height. Our midfield is short. Very short. None of them are any good overhead.

Players 188cm and above are everywhere in most top teams’ midfields. We have none. It’s a glaring deficiency we ought address.

We need midfield height. Our midfield is short. Very short. None of them are any good overhead.

Players 188cm and above are everywhere in most top teams’ midfields. We have none. It’s a glaring deficiency we ought address.

Howe was our clubs hope coming through but hasn’t worked.

Scrimshaw playing a lot more minutes around the middle in the hope he might be our man moving forward.

Howe was our clubs hope coming through but hasn’t worked.

Scrimshaw playing a lot more minutes around the middle in the hope he might be our man moving forward.
Scrimshaw & Day would be nice on both Wings at the G in a few yrs time. Jiath,Impey,Sicily,Dgb off the half back👌

Howe&Finn is not helping our midfield progression atm. We really need to find a big bodied midfielder with some grunt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Duke" is only 186cm.....would like someone much bigger

Honestly I'd bet he tops out at around 187/88. I guess not everyone keeps growing, but most of us get at least a little taller by the age of 21 or so.

But even at 186 he's already taller than the rest of our mids by a couple of cm's, save for Howe.

I swear he moves a bit like Leia Matthews. Not saying he's anywhere near that level, but there was something about the highlights I've seen that reminded me of Leigh.

But he has power in spades, can hoof it a mile, win the ball and has legs like tree trunks as a 19 year-old. Lot to like there. He spreads OK too according to match reports from Box Hill, and his highlights include running goals from long range. Ben Allan like almost with the distance he kicks it.

Last edited:
What's going on with:
Dylan Stephens,
Hayden Young,
Cody Weightman,
Cooper Stephens,
Brodie Kemp.

They don't seem to be getting a sniff of game time.
Young and D. Stephens looked most impressive to me as juniors.
Stephens not getting a game
Young is injured
Weightman is best 22 at dogs, and is now playing consistently
Stephens not good enough
Kemp 1 game after a serious injury

I wonder if we are looking at Will Brodie from GC taken pick 9 in the 2016 draft in the same draft as Scrimshaw would help with the age profile of this group of players on our list.

I wonder if we are looking at Will Brodie from GC taken pick 9 in the 2016 draft in the same draft as Scrimshaw would help with the age profile of this group of players on our list.

Not you mate, but I just don't get the fascination with Brodie. Like I get he is a big body mid, and when he plays AFL he gets plenty of the ball, but he is really just a dime a dozen VFL or even NFL mid imo.

He was available for steak knives last trade period, with only Essendon showing any interest. I don't think that he's done anything this year to suggest other suitors, us included, will emerge. He's behind Howe and Cousins even, such is how limited he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back