• Kelly and Merrett

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Other

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I know it’s hard for some people, but can we not do the “we need to trade into the first round” thing in here.

😞

It's also not the thread to discuss current Hawthorn players and if they are in form or not, and whether they’re tradeable.

Trade targets. Trade targets. Trade targets.

That means players at other clubs, and our interest in them going forward.

Mathieson is a realistic target but doesn’t offer too much more than a Cousins or Howe IMO. His disposal is average at best

We need to start building a quality midfield that has a good foot skills and and has good balance between inside and outside skills. Bulldogs, Melbourne, Brisbane, Geelong and Richmond have the best midfields. Our current midfield are miles off the above
His disposal is deadset putrid.

We would be in a pretty good position to land Merritt an Mathieson. Mathieson is a ball butcher but he has that grunt and competitive edge that we are crying out for.
He and Worps at the coal face starts to look intimidating. Throw in Jags and Merrit and it’s pretty solid unit

We would be in a pretty good position to land Merritt an Mathieson. Mathieson is a ball butcher but he has that grunt and competitive edge that we are crying out for.
He and Worps at the coal face starts to look intimidating. Throw in Jags and Merrit and it’s pretty solid unit
Mathieson? He's the worst kick of the footy I've seen.

LOL. How have you got us in a good position to land Merrett?

Mathieson? He's the worst kick of the footy I've seen.
He’s one of those guys that you wouldn’t be making a designated kicker that is for sure.
He hits the stoppages hard and can kick a goal. Has a bit of mongrel and fits the age bracket.
All that aside, if he is a release player from a stoppage and doesn’t hand pass... you would be crossing your fingers where it went.
I think he would be a point of difference on all of our mids, especially if Mitchell were to move on for draft capital, Shiels gets pushed down the rungs which needs to happen) and we loose guys like Cousins and Howe (not saying we will) through more opportunities elsewhere.
Anyone who is a bit of a nutter, talks s**t and can put Dusty off his game physically gets the not for a look in at the end of the year for me with this list.

He’s one of those guys that you wouldn’t be making a designated kicker that is for sure.
He hits the stoppages hard and can kick a goal. Has a bit of mongrel and fits the age bracket.
All that aside, if he is a release player from a stoppage and doesn’t hand pass... you would be crossing your fingers where it went.
I think he would be a point of difference on all of our mids, especially if Mitchell were to move on for draft capital, Shiels gets pushed down the rungs which needs to happen) and we loose guys like Cousins and Howe (not saying we will) through more opportunities elsewhere.
Anyone who is a bit of a nutter, talks sh*t and can put Dusty off his game physically gets the not for a look in at the end of the year for me with this list.
Mate he's crap, move on. Howe is a Better option anyway.

Mate he's crap, move on. Howe is a Better option anyway.

Each to their own.
Compare the pair on the AFL app...
Then try Cousins, Shiels, SPP, Newnes and Fiorini. All comparable in one way or the other. Just because he has the odd shocker doesn’t mean he can’t play.
I bet he can hand pass better than half our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMHO any/all trade targets should be under 23 at the start of 2022, mobile/speedy, decent kicks and able to play midfield / forward or key forward. I don’t care if they aren’t interested in being unsociable. If they can keep the ball off the opposition and deliver it / mark it inside 50 then our major problems will start being addressed.

So I’d consider the following in no particular order:

Bailey Smith
Adam Cerra
Xavier Duursma
Xavier O’Halloran
James Rowbottom
Paddy Dow
Lochie O’Brien
Darcy Fogarty
Sam Flanders
Ed Richards

Why? All are young, talented and haven’t necessarily been given every (key) opportunity at their current club. They would be more central as players at Hawthorn and that has to be a big incentive. They will be able to add more to us than they are current being allowed to contribute at their current club

IMHO any/all trade targets should be under 23 at the start of 2022, mobile/speedy, decent kicks and able to play midfield / forward or key forward. I don’t care if they aren’t interested in being unsociable. If they can keep the ball off the opposition and deliver it / mark it inside 50 then our major problems will start being addressed.

So I’d consider the following in no particular order:

Bailey Smith
Adam Cerra
Xavier Duursma
Xavier O’Halloran
James Rowbottom
Paddy Dow
Lochie O’Brien
Darcy Fogarty
Sam Flanders
Ed Richards

Why? All are young, talented and haven’t necessarily been given every (key) opportunity at their current club. They would be more central as players at Hawthorn and that has to be a big incentive. They will be able to add more to us than they are current being allowed to contribute at their current club
The top 3 players on your list are young superstars in the making. Outside of $$$ what makes you think they’d consider coming to the HFC.

The top 3 players on your list are young superstars in the making. Outside of $$$ what makes you think they’d consider coming to the HFC.

All want to be the #1 midfielder in their team(s).

Smith sits behind Bont, McCrae, Dunkley, Libba, Treloar and arguably Hunter.

Cerra behind Fyfe, Mundy (old), Brayshaw, and Serong

Duursma behind Boak, Wines, Rockliff, Butters and probably Drew or SPP

Each of those guys would be in our top 3 mids immediately.

I’ll also throw in Zac Bailey at Brisbane.

We need to pinch one of these BEFORE they’re the next biggest thing in the competition. 😉

We need to pinch one of these BEFORE they’re the next biggest thing in the competition. 😉
So let me get this right. Your suggesting these players would consider leaving just so they could become a #1 midfielder on a crappier team. Yeah nah.

Cerra I think could be a chance but not because of the pull of being the #1 mid but more so the allure of playing back in VIC and hey we do have a boatload of cap space.

So let me get this right. Your suggesting these players would consider leaving just so they could become a #1 midfielder on a crappier team. Yeah nah.

Cerra I think could be a chance but not because of the pull of being the #1 mid but more so the allure of playing back in VIC and hey we do have a boatload of cap space.
You seem to presume in 5 years time we are still going to be crap. Or perhaps you’re more shortsighted and negative than I am. We will be ordinary for 2-3 seasons, but all of these players can have another 10+ years to play. Plenty of time for them to bring HFC with them.

You seem to presume in 5 years time we are still going to be crap. Or perhaps you’re more shortsighted and negative than I am. We will be ordinary for 2-3 seasons, but all of these players can have another 10+ years to play. Plenty of time for them to bring HFC with them.
I’m not being negative whatsoever. All I asked was why would those players you mentioned want to come to the HFC at the moment. You say so they could become the #1 mid which I find kind of ridiculous. Players leave their clubs because a variety of reasons but to become the #1 mid on a team that is struggling in that area from a likely better situation they are currently at isn’t usually one of them unless it’s for the $$$ which usually tells you that winning isn’t that players #1 priority.

FWIW I acknowledge that we won’t be sh*t forever but I think you need to take an honest look of where we’re at atm and probably realise that we aren’t a top destination. As I mentioned in my last post yeah I reckon Cerra could be an option (go home factor) but you’d hate to see us give up our 1st rounder for him. I would however offer both the 2nd rounders we own for him an then front end a deal for so Freo can’t match and send him to the draft if they don’t take the 2 x 2nd rounders we offer.

Bailey would be an awesome get. No chance it will happen though.

I'd say Cerra is currently ahead of Serong in any Freo pecking order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back