Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd still love to get a third top 25-30 pick.

Walking away from this draft with an inside mid, outside mid/half back and a KPP all with the potential to be A graders would be a dream
Was over on the Saints board trying to find out more about Battle and this trade was brought up:
Stk receive: Pick 14, Bris future first
Lions receive: Pick 9, Stk future 2nd, Battle
Thought it looked alright from our perspective, Battle could be our halfback, 18 our key position player and hope that Goater is still there at 9, if not go Johnson.

Sam Edmund on Twitter: HAWTHORN’s desperation to trade one of its stars for a top draft pick extends to coach Sam Mitchell ringing rival clubs himself in a bid to spark interest. Hawks getting increasingly desperate given there is so far no takers for the likes of Mitchell, O'Meara and Wingard.

If we could somehow space out a contract or two somehow, would we look at anyone from the hawks? They’re obviously pretty desperate here.

Sam Edmund on Twitter: HAWTHORN’s desperation to trade one of its stars for a top draft pick extends to coach Sam Mitchell ringing rival clubs himself in a bid to spark interest. Hawks getting increasingly desperate given there is so far no takers for the likes of Mitchell, O'Meara and Wingard.

If we could somehow space out a contract or two somehow, would we look at anyone from the hawks? They’re obviously pretty desperate here.
IMO, no room for Mitchell in our mid, will be competing with Neale and I'd rather Neale.
O'Meara is not worth a second rounder. His body is shot from all reports and his knees are barely holding.
Wingard, well we have Bailey so no need for Wingard.
Unfortunately Hawks desperation will have to focus to other teams.

I don't think we need any of them.

They've got some decent players you could inquire about for sure, but they're trying to get into the pointy end of the draft with multiple picks.

Tbh, I'm happy with our draft hand atm. We've really skipped the pointy end of the draft for three years now. Our highest picks being Robertson & Smith.

Given the circumstances & evenness of the draftees this year in the top 20, I'd be surprised if we gave away one of our top picks for a Hawthorn player who may or may not make us a better side next year.

Do we really need another not quite up to the task second ruck?
We've got Fullarton.....we had Archie, and we let him walk. we've got Payne, we've got Smith, we've got Ballenden, and next year we've got Lane who looks, imho, an a grade ruck prospect.
In my opinion we're wasting money and effort on fixing a problem that will be fading by round 10 next year. Smith, Ballenden, Fullarton and Lane will all be bigger, stronger and smarter next year.
We need another A grade midfielder not a VFL quality big man.
What part of we don't have the $$$$$ or list spot to bring in another "Quality Mid" is it that you don't understand. The kids you mentioned are VfL Quality at the moment, and are 2-3 seasons away atleast before we find out if any good.

Last edited:
I was going to say a 'Vossy'.

Can't recall him doing it so much but Leppa stopped playing guys like Raines and Harwood after they'd played reasonably under Vossy. Played Lisle as a small defender after Harwood played a decent season as a small back.

It has some eerie similarities to what Voss was (largely incorrectly) accused of.

Premiership legend, asked to take over from the premiership coach (but only after other clubs came calling), only having known success, and now displaying an almost desperate ruthlessness at the beginning of his coaching tenure that seems to go against the relationship building that most coaches base their position on.

I reckon if they offered us Gunston with some of his salary paid & a future second rounder for next year's first rounder (and perhaps were happy to take Ely Smith for us as well to give us a list spot), I'd take that. I can't see them making that offer though. They'd want 14 or 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't recall him doing it so much but Leppa stopped playing guys like Raines and Harwood after they'd played reasonably under Vossy. Played Lisle as a small defender after Harwood played a decent season as a small back.
It has some eerie similarities to what Voss was (largely incorrectly) accused of.

Premiership legend, asked to take over from the premiership coach (but only after other clubs came calling), only having known success, and now displaying an almost desperate ruthlessness at the beginning of his coaching tenure that seems to go against the relationship building that most coaches base their position on.

My reference to Vossy was more about the changes he oversaw following our 2009 finals series.

The way I saw it he brought the same ruthlessness & attitude as a coach in his attempt to snag a flag as he did as a player.

I understand the philosophy, we still had Black, Brown & Power, and he thought he could top up & have another crack while those guys were still in the team.

However, it didn't work & there's was a price to pay in terms of culture & club fabric, not to mention the cost of missing out on youth coming into the club.

Different scenario for Hawthorn & Mitchell, but seems like a similar single minded win at all costs do what you have to do mentality, which can be dangerous.

I hope we've seen the end of the ex-Hawk recruitment policy. Just can't see the merit in trading a first round pick, no matter what comes back by way of steak knives, for a guy who has been an excellent player but is probably going to give us two years max as a forward which is not a super pressing need.

I'm relaxed with Fort / Ceglar / Briggs. Only one that would worry me if we give a first rounder away for Ceglar, even if there is something coming back. Have to keep 2 in first round this year.

I am not a draft watcher but I would lean towards best 2 mids with our first two picks. If you add in Ashcroft next year, and Fletcher, we can keep up a reasonable quota of mids.

What does everyone think the mids quota should be? I work by 7 in the 1s, 7 in the 2s. That gives you 14 which translates to about a third of your list, slightly more when you factor in rucks. That feels about right but given mids get all the glory, do we need more than that?

I would anticipate after next year's draft we would have:

3 Veterans: Lyons, Neale, Zorko (if still playing mid)
7 with Medium experience: McCluggage, Berry, Rayner, Bailey, Starcevich, Robertson, Mathieson.
6 Emerging: Ashcroft, Pick 14, Sharpe, Prior, possibly pick 18, possibly Fletcher.
4 De-listed: Ely Smith, Joyce, CEY, M Robinson.

I know its pie in the sky and not within our reach - but Omera would be perfect for our midfield mix. You would proably get him for a late pick. It's a shame we don't have cap space, given that op to bolster our midfield.

On another note, if Cegler to Hawks goes through then I'd say that is as good as Fort to the Lions going through too. I reckon he is our man unless there is a bolt from the blue.

I know its pie in the sky and not within our reach - but Omera would be perfect for our midfield mix. You would proably get him for a late pick. It's a shame we don't have cap space, given that op to bolster our midfield.

On another note, if Cegler to Hawks goes through then I'd say that is as good as Fort to the Lions going through too. I reckon he is our man unless there is a bolt from the blue.

They want a top 10 pick for JoM

Hawthorn sound like what happened with the Brisbane Broncos and kicking out Bennett (Clarkson), an out and out coaching legend for a flashy, unproven Seibold (Mitchell). Seibold then proceeded to destroy the club by putting everyone offside by coming in on the back of upheaval and booting out the established players. He then also proceeded to lose a number of the good kids he was counting on. The Broncos still haven't fully recovered after sacking him 1 and a half years in to an expected long term tenure.

Hawks are trying to top up for picks. So they won't let anyone go for low picks, otherwise may as well keep them.

I agree he'd be useful for us (medical required). We'd need them to pay part of his salary though, so you'd probably end up with something like:

JOM + pay all bar $200k of JOM's salary for the remainder of the contract = ?

For that much, they'd probably be looking for at least one of our first rounders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back