Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Dow is never going to look like Dangerfield. Danger is much more even between upper and lower body- both powerful. Dow is very powerful in the lower half but is nowhere near the same size in his upper body. His natural somatotype predisposes him to this shape. Sure he can modify this natural tendency, and I am sure this has happened, but there are limits. We should not expect him to be as powerful as Dangerfield, but there again, not many players are.
I saw a replay of a comeback by Brisbane against Geelong When it was down by 45 points.... If you look at Elliot Yeo, Sam Docherty and Jack Redden all of them looked super skinny there.-..But Now all of them have got the Physiques Of men.--.. I think Dow will get there [ we need a little bit more patience] but I agree he needs to put on muscle for him to stand up in packs and then break them open

Agree with you on needing to learn how to hold the ball up and play tempo possession football - but doubt there is the skill or p[ositional play between teh arcs to achieve it yet - Cripps/Ed/Setterfield are very ordinary field kicks for starters - secondly neither Walsh or Murphy are marking wingmen....thirdly - Pittonet isn't the best mark either nor field kick ....I could go on....I think Teague is spot on with fast movement and looking for one on one kicks to advantage and cocnentrating defensive play in forward 50 - easier game plan for our current starting line-up to maintain?
Agree on Pitto, Ed and Cripps get scrappy possessions, by hand mostly from Cripps. Setters is underrated by foot in this post. Martin who we salivate over by foot gets 7.5 kicks per game with 2.5 clangers while Setters gets 9.1 kicks and averages 1.8 clangers. And Walsh won Mark of the Year, while getting the same number of marks per game as Weitering, 4.3. Granted many would be uncontested but, he clearly is able to mark the ball. Murphy on the other hand, sheesh.

You've missed my point entirely, and statistics have nothing to do with it. I'm simply highlighting that from the little I've seen of Dow this preseason, it doesn't look to me like he's made any significant gains either physically or with his intensity.

Maybe what I've seen isn't representative of his efforts, but Dow was always likened to Dangerfield in his physicality and style of play and coming into his fourth season I was really hoping and expecting to see him kick it up a gear. I haven't. Yet. Fingers crossed.

If Dow becomes what we all hope he can become, our midfield starts to dominate.
They didn’t have a particularly long off season after the 2020 debacle of a season. Not sure anyone will come back looking dramatically different, noticeable yes, significant possibly, but not life changing differences. Reckon we need to give the kid a break.

I saw a replay of a comeback by Brisbane against Geelong When it was down by 45 points.... If you look at Elliot Yeo, Sam Docherty and Jack Redden all of them looked super skinny there.-..But Now all of them have got the Physiques Of men.--.. I think Dow will get there [ we need a little bit more patience] but I agree he needs to put on muscle for him to stand up in packs and then break them open
Whatever we do can't impede his number one attribute, that first 5 metre burst into space.

I said...
In the 2nd half of the season, he was leading the league in contested marks and was 2nd best for average goals per game.

Considering this is his first ever full pre-season without injury after 6 years at the club, I honestly think he make top 5 in the coleman.

Exactly how much have you seen of Dow this pre-season?

As I've said umpteen times - not much, but enough that my immediate impression was that he doesn't look noticably improved on last year.

Maybe I've set my expectations too high. I was simply hoping that a former Pick 3 coming into his fourth season, who struggled to crack a game last year in a midfield crying out for his type, would come back from the off season looking like he had a point to prove. That he hasn't, to me, indicates that he still hasn't found the mental edge that takes a player from OK to Great.

Suggest a player hasn't developed as much as you'd hoped and people start to act like you've shot Bambi...

As I've said umpteen times - not much, but enough that my immediate impression was that he doesn't look noticably improved on last year.

Maybe I've set my expectations too high. I was simply hoping that a former Pick 3 coming into his fourth season, who struggled to crack a game last year in a midfield crying out for his type, would come back from the off season looking like he had a point to prove. That he hasn't, to me, indicates that he still hasn't found the mental edge that takes a player from OK to Great.

Suggest a player hasn't developed as much as you'd hoped and people start to act like you've shot Bambi...
The thing is you are saying he isn’t coming back with a point to prove off almost no evidence, you are getting all worked up over nothing.

If I remember rightly when the first to fourth year players came back a couple of months ago Teague had Dow as one of the best on the track (withJSOS) and there were photos of him that had people swooning over how he looked like he had bulked up.

Fact is we have no idea how Dow is goin, he maybe working so hard on his endurance that he is having trouble putting on bulk. The footage of him and Walsh might have been from the very end of a long day and (given holding the pads for Walsh is the rest phase of that exercise) he may have been doing everything askedof him exactly as it was asked.

You accuse others of over reacting to your criticism but the point is you are over reacting to extremely limited and inconclusive evidence. Those you are accusing of over reacting are simply asking to see some actual evidence before once again launching into the whipping boy.

In the 2nd half of the season, he was leading the league in contested marks and was 2nd best for average goals per game.

Considering this is his first ever full pre-season without injury after 6 years at the club, I honestly think he make top 5 in the coleman.

If we fix the spaghetti F50 entries, agreed.

Disappointing I agree, but surely people would be expecting the 100 games benchmark. Paddy's only 21, pretty odd to throw him under the bus as he isn't outshining expectations yet. Not every player is going to be a Sam Walsh from the get go.

I'd be 1000x more concerned about how he can kick than the build he has, horrible goal kicking efficacy, worse than Cripps.

But we'll see, plenty of time for him to catch up and I personally wouldn't be expecting Dow to step up and shine just yet, that'd be more Setterfield territory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all, just appreciate that they were entitled to a Xmas break after the 2020 season and it has been a really short off season. We all expect improvement, let's wait until the end of the pre season and when the season proper rolls around.

People forget what Dow can do, here's a short refresher coarse..on the house.
94055e8b7592202f816f39d453dfd467.gif

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Im not panicking about dow, different young players mature at different rates, i feel hes an inside mid without a strong second position, tough gig for a 21yo
And the reality is hes behind cripps, setters, ed, williams, and walsh, then theres the second tier of murph, martin, fish, cunners, and sps, hes now in the youngest midfield brigade with obrien, philp, and kemp
Hes got time

If we fix the spaghetti F50 entries, agreed.

Disappointing I agree, but surely people would be expecting the 100 games benchmark. Paddy's only 21, pretty odd to throw him under the bus as he isn't outshining expectations yet. Not every player is going to be a Sam Walsh from the get go.

I'd be 1000x more concerned about how he can kick than the build he has, horrible goal kicking efficacy, worse than Cripps.

But we'll see, plenty of time for him to catch up and I personally wouldn't be expecting Dow to step up and shine just yet, that'd be more Setterfield territory.

Richmond has shown " spaghetti F50 entries" are fine, if done quickly enough. And often enough.

Teague giving Dow the 3 votes for the best afield on the first day of training tells me he has made some improvements, also mentioned how good his kicking was which as we all know is his main area of need in terms of improvement, his need to improve his endurance would be cruelling his need to add body size as well I would think.

Richmond has shown " spaghetti F50 entries" are fine, if done quickly enough. And often enough.
almost comparing homemade pasta and 2minute noodles in terms of intent of entry.

Feels like over half of our entries fall into a few categories:
  • slow, predictable entries where we hit up someone on the boundary at 48m out (unless it's Newnes I guess...)
  • our big high up-and-under bomb to the pocket on Harry's head as Levi comes in to crash the pack from the side with defenders in tow and most of our ground level players in the wrong spot
  • the classic not honouring the lead as Mitch/Harry/Jack/Martin/etc run into space and the ball is kicked embarrassingly high over the top of them to find the defensive sweeper taking an uncontested mark (or just not kicking to the leader player at all).
  • bonus point for the 'extra' kick once inside 50 where we somehow decide to risk kicking to someone else who's in a marginally better position but might only be a 50% chance of marking it as the defenders could see the kick coming...

The women who do boxercice every morning on Manly beach - throw them better than Walsh demonstrated. :p

Neither Teague or I would disagree with you - specifically mentioned Williamson being tried out on a wing against Brisbane where he performed well.
Yeah Willo has all the attributes to become one of the elite wingman in the competition if given the opportunity and game plan to excel, this needs to be implemented from Rd 1 as there is no room down back now and he is far to talented to not be used and developed into the next Isaac Smith.

With Willo on the left and Walsh on the right we would have a very damaging and electric pair of wings receiving from the half backs of Doc, Saad and co or receiving from the centre bounce set up of Cripps, Setters and Williams it just makes perfect sense for this to be our starting set up come Rd1

Last edited:
Yeah Willo has all the attributes to become one of the elite wingman in the competition if given the opportunity and game plan to excel, this needs to be implemented from Rd 1 as there is no room down back now and he is far to talented to not be used and developed into the next Isaac Smith.

With Willo on the left and Walsh on the right we would have a very damaging and electric pair of wings receiving from the half backs of Doc, Saad and co or receiving from the centre bounce set up of Cripps, Setters and Williams it just makes perfect sense for this to be our starting set up come Rd1

stop it, you are getting me excited.

Would the fact that Russell seems to build the players up for elite fitness over physical size have anything to do with it ? When you look at his own size compared to the trainer's from other teams like Melbourne , Geelong and Port I think one of them is Darren Burgess they are all huge and the players are the same but Russell is more built for speed not power . I don't know just a thought .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back