List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle prospect and South Fremantle, Aquinas College young gun Jesse Motlop’s stunning senior NTFL debut
Grey Morris and Jordan McArdleThe West Australian

South Fremantle and Aquinas College’s 2021 draft prospect Jesse Motlop was rewarded for his stunning Northern Territory league debut on Saturday with a rising star nomination.

The son of Port Adelaide and North Melbourne forward Daniel made his senior debut for NTFL Premier League club Wanderers against Tiwi Bombers and created an instant impression with his 15 touches, four marks and three goals.

One attempt at mark of the year almost came off when Motlop rose high above the pack, reminding fans at the ground of the spring-heeled leap his dad possessed in his playing days.

His sparkling first senior outing for the Muk Muks was enough to gain Jesse the Round 11 nomination for the NT News Rising Star.

A member of Fremantle’s Next Generation Academy squad while completing his schooling at Aquinas College, Motlop’s on-field action is tied to his school side and the South Fremantle colts.
Motlop took out the PSA footy’s leading goal-kicker award with 41 majors for the season, including an 11-goal haul against Wesley.
He followed it up with a four-goal effort for the Bulldogs in the final home-and-away round of the colts season to be in contention for a State under-18s call-up.
“I try to rotate between forward pocket and the wing, usually at a time when I’m getting into the game or can’t get into it is when I move out to a wing,’’ Motlop told the NT News.
“The only thing I wasn’t into in my first league game was the amount of time the quarters go for up here, because after the first quarter I was struggling a bit.
Jesse Motlop goes long in his senior debut for Wanderers. Credit: Felicity Elliott AFLNT/Media

Jesse Motlop goes long in his senior debut for Wanderers. Credit: Felicity Elliott AFLNT/Media
“But it was a lot of fun, I’ve always dreamed about running out with the Wanderers Premier League side and to have my uncles Brenton and Aaron there with me and my cousin Matthew as well, was pretty good.’’
Motlop said AFL football was his ultimate goal, with the 2021 draft on his radar after filling in the relevant nomination forms this year.
Fremantle have first access to the exciting forward through their NGA, but only if he slips outside of the top-20 picks thanks to recent rule changes.
“My draft year begins really begins now in 2020-21, so it’s time to get down to work and make sure I’m nominated,” he said.
“The Dockers have me in their Academy at the moment, kind of like a father-son, so they have priority over me in terms of being drafted.”
His dad’s 11-season AFL career stretched from 2001 to 2011 with North Melbourne (47 games) and Port Adelaide (83), including kicking 208 goals through a series of big marks and freakish finishing inside the 50 metre arc.
“I didn’t appreciate it when dad played in the AFL, it was only later when I got to watch his highlights I realised what a good player he was,” Jesse said.

Looks positive

Would have to be a standout to be picked as a small forward

Not many small forwards go as top 10’s.. but I’m sure there will be people on here who will have the data points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks positive

Would have to be a standout to be picked as a small forward

Not many small forwards go as top 10’s.. but I’m sure there will be people on here who will have the data points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s top 20.

So, if he gets picked at 20, we can’t match and despite perhaps putting a lot of resources into him, we lose him but if he goes at 21, we can match but pay in points like before? Is that how it works?

Seems pretty unlikely at this stage. Bastyy had Bartlett down as the best of our NGA prospects and a possible top 20 pick from memory...
Yep at this stage I wouldn't be worried about a top 20 pick on Motlop (or Bartlett either). If he gets the call up to WAFL seniors next year I think we'll be cutting it close but we only need to really worry if a club that desperately needs a small forward goes for him. I think if clubs want a WA small forward, Erasmus is probably a better option

Someone in the D&T thread just made a good comment about us potentially being eligible for f/s for Rhett Bazzo because his dad Steve played 158 games for Swan Districts.

But I think once again we get screwed because he played 141 games before 1995 and then hit the required 150 game mark in 1995.

So 9 games short. Jfc.

It’s top 20.

So, if he gets picked at 20, we can’t match and despite perhaps putting a lot of resources into him, we lose him but if he goes at 21, we can match but pay in points like before? Is that how it works?
That's how it works. We have to match a bid between 21 and 40. After that the players are free - whatever our next available pick is secures them. We have no third or fourth round pick in the next draft.

Our third round pick would hopefully be around pick 50 anyway, so matching a bid after 40 for an academy player next season turns our round five and six picks into round three and four picks.

Long story short. NGA reduced to no first round picks, only have to match second round picks for points and after that the players are basically free.

Van Rooyen, Johnson, Bazzo and Williams the four West Aussies (of 21 total) in the AFL Academy.

Williams is an interesting one. Some games he looks great and other times a bit of a disaster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Van Rooyen, Johnson, Bazzo and Williams the four West Aussies (of 21 total) in the AFL Academy.

Williams is an interesting one. Some games he looks great and other times a bit of a disaster.

Williams only turned 17 on Dec 1st, so I guess being more under age then most, might of contributed to some of his disasters this year....

Not sure if asked, or appropriate thread but Kobe Farmer, son of legend Jeff Farmer is training with Melbourne. He’s eligible for father son for both Freo and Melbourne. Worth a shot? Was he eligible for this year’s draft?

Not sure if asked, or appropriate thread but Kobe Farmer, son of legend Jeff Farmer is training with Melbourne. He’s eligible for father son for both Freo and Melbourne. Worth a shot? Was he eligible for this year’s draft?
Looks like we are not interested.

Best 2021 prospects
Mentions Jermaine Pickett (Liam Ryan attributes) & Richie Bartlett as Freo NGA players.

Mentions Jermaine Pickett (Liam Ryan attributes) & Richie Bartlett as Freo NGA players.
I didn’t know Pickett was in our academy, he had a very good u16 champs from memory

So in next years draft we have 3 NGA Products which look to be exciting in Pickett, Bartlett and Motlop. All small to medium forwards who will provide plenty of pace, just hope we have the picks to get them all if we want and a big forward.

So in next years draft we have 3 NGA Products which look to be exciting in Pickett, Bartlett and Motlop. All small to medium forwards who will provide plenty of pace, just hope we have the picks to get them all if we want and a big forward.
Our forward line and outside mids are a weakest areas,

Hopefully the NGA kids can fix that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back