List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

RE: Richards, he's 22, and playing for Wangaratta in the OMFL, so he had a lot of space to work with and talent around him. Interested to see his speed and endurance testing numbers.

Seems to be a half-forward type at AFL level, with the ability to cause havoc at the centre bounce. May be able to move more into the midfield over time. Wonder if he'll make it into top 30 calculations?
Wangaratta coach Ben Reid was quoted in today's Border Mail about Richards "he's got really good traits.hes quick, he's really clean, can kick on both feet and he's hard at it so in terms of that, he's got all of that under his belt. He's probably just got to learn game plans, running patterns and that sort of stuff, if he gets a crack at it, that's what the development is for".

Maybe somebody might pick him up but suspect that it would be pretty late in the draft or rookie draft.

Feel like more likely to package up our picks from Dow Setters and Jones compo to move our 2nd closer to 20 for Hayes
Possible of course. Im still hoping if Dow goes we sign on Setters. Already developed think its unlikely a pick 11 will give us more in 2023, however happy to be proven wrong

Hayes at 17 in Twomeys Sept rankings so not a stretch. Rember many thiught Cripps was taken way too high. Kid needs some meat on the bones but fills a need.

Don't mind really but if we did grab him, I'd like George or Cowan at 28.

Lot will change in top 10 though so our plans could change.

Hayes at 17 in Twomeys Sept rankings so not a stretch. Rember many thiught Cripps was taken way too high. Kid needs some meat on the bones but fills a need.

I'd bloody hope they'd change with the natural flow of proceedings but we do have a history.

George, George, George of the Jungle, a Blue for you and me (and Coona or Brisbane or someone else?!?!) Hayes and George for me all day.

Agree Matty plenty will change before draft night especially as trades will completed and the dust settled.
Also the usual bolters will appear miraculously, mid November.
Overall I’d be very happy if we snared Matteas Philliou, a nice mid fwd, beautiful kick and good footy IQ , Sam Gilbey toughness and directness and Alan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends who does the write up.

I’m just speaking in my own opinion here.
I see him more as a Serong styled midfielder. Does his best work inside. Elite two way runner and plays with a hard edge, which I like.
But on a needs basis I think he plays a position we have great depth in, and what he lacks is xfactor and front half damaging possessions.
He’s very much in the (poor man’s!) Sam Walsh zone for mine. Terrific ground ball get player, awesome two way runner. Not really crash and bash. Doesn’t quite have Sam’s core strength and is smaller framed. Not quite “get the ball whenever you want” like Sam either. But lots of similarities.

Just not getting the love for Phillipou. Meat and 3 veg for me, but I did go with Vanilla on Walsh. Happy to be outlandishly wrong once more.

There’ll be a slider, always is.

I’m still on the Hayes train, but reckon there will be a ‘just had to’ player there when Austin is up. Not sure who, but I reckon on a good one. We’re on a roll just now.
“Sliders” are an interesting topic. Who are the sliders who ended up great? Gut instinct tells me they often ‘slid’ becaue they weren’t that good…

“Sliders” are an interesting topic. Who are the sliders who ended up great? Gut instinct tells me they often ‘slid’ becaue they weren’t that good…

Heaps over the years have felt like big sliders that were good.

Grundy, Darling, Selwood, Judd, Curnow....

The author has a very different definition of 'slider' than most.
How was Cripps a slider? He was generally considered a reach.
True, some are accurate though. Either way been plenty of very very good players slid to outside the top 10 which is the pick we're discussing anyway at our pick 11 this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back