Game Day 2022 AFL Draft

Shameless Plug For Game Preview Voting
While you're here, take a few minutes out of your Draft Day(s) to cast a vote on the 2022 Game Previews poll.

Jesus Christ, you could literally open a beer on Freddy's abs...

beer-australia.gif

Straya Culcha afterall

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Gilbey sure is. 187cm and 73kg. Rookieme lists his weaknesses as contested work, durability and strength. There will be massive meltdowns if we pick him, even if it seems many are starting to think it is a good chance. He had glandular fever and then a fractured tibia, so there is every chance the club could rate him quite highly based on what he might have done if he had a full season. His profile sounds a bit like a mix of Young and S.Hill.
I suppose if he ends up as a cheaper version of Chappy who is a cheaper version of Young then we will be happy. Having good users of the footy is never a bad thing. We might need to stick one of them on the half forward line eventually to fit them all in the team.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think the talent vs depth distinction is actually interesting.

Id think the forwardline has the biggest talent deficiency but plenty of depth level players but there is a massive depth issue with defenders and the ruck where we literally have just Hughes, Wilson and Hamling as defensive depth and no ruck outside the best 22.

I'd probably agree with the club that you take highest rated at pick 30 and then make sure we get a ruck and KPD to stash and develop for 3-4 years with the next couple of picks. Wouldnt be unhappy waiting until the rookie draft to pick up a ruck though...
Depth +, Talent + Inside mid, HBF
Depth +, Talent - Small forward, Medium forward
Depth -, Talent + Ruck, KPD, KPF
Depth -, Talent - maybe nothing, though wing/outside mid belongs in one of these bottom two rows, depending on where you rate certain players.

As the likelihood of getting high end talent without a pick below 30 is not great, I would err on the side of boosting the bottom two rows, but definitely draft for the bottom three and avoid flankers and inside mids.

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not related to us but if Cally T is on point the dirty birds will be very happy. To end up with Ginbey, Hewett and Ed will be a very nice haul indeed for them. They'll be every bit as happy with that as we were with Amiss, Ras and MJ in terms of local talent and fit to needs. Unfortunately for those clowns, even if all 3 work out well that'll take the total number of AFL quality standard players on their list to 6 whereas our haul was topping up.

Also, we can pinch one of them in a few years without even trying too hard and we should stay in RG's ear too seeing he's a good Dunno Docker boy.

Good character demonstrated by his team of choice never dies so there'll be purple in his blood forever. I'd imagine any time at all around Nisbett, Gaff & Darling et al should ensure at least one of his eyes stays on or around the Exit door.

Depth +, Talent + Inside mid, HBF
Depth +, Talent - Small forward, Medium forward
Depth -, Talent + Ruck, KPD, KPF
Depth -, Talent - maybe nothing, though wing/outside mid belongs in one of these bottom two rows, depending on where you rate certain players.

As the likelihood of getting high end talent without a pick below 30 is not great, I would err on the side of boosting the bottom two rows, but definitely draft for the bottom three and avoid flankers and inside mids.
Drafting an inside mid is probably the only one I'd raise some serious eyebrows over for mine.

The KPF is really interesting. Amiss is the only one I'm confident has genuine star AFL potential BUT I think the time for drafting one might have passed us and we'll have to trade one in to fit the timeline. Maybe the Jackson / Darcy combo can make up for the lesser talent

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Overmodding rears it’s ugly head again

I just made an awesome post that would have blown everyone on the old locked thread but stuff ya’s

Get a job you bludgers then you won’t have the time to sit around thinking up ways to annoy me

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I just made an awesome post that would have blown everyone on the old locked thread but stuff ya’s

Get a job you bludgers then you won’t have the time to sit around thinking up ways to annoy me

Way to stick it to the man Tony, you tell em!!

Personally thought the trade period match thread was awesome but if anyone else disagree's feel free to PM one or all of us to discuss

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I think the talent vs depth distinction is actually interesting.

Id think the forwardline has the biggest talent deficiency but plenty of depth level players but there is a massive depth issue with defenders and the ruck where we literally have just Hughes, Wilson and Hamling as defensive depth and no ruck outside the best 22.

I'd probably agree with the club that you take highest rated at pick 30 and then make sure we get a ruck and KPD to stash and develop for 3-4 years with the next couple of picks. Wouldnt be unhappy waiting until the rookie draft to pick up a ruck though...
We also have Aish and Benning, plus nga dfender options in the draft pool. The club must surely have an idea of how Roger's son's are progressing (I am stupidly assuming they are defenders). One is in next years draft.

Realistically looking at this draft it looks like easy pickings to find a kpd and a developing ruck at our picks.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle

'overmodding' probably has something to do with being a "geek" right tony? :grinv1:

Nov 23, 2019
Perth Hills
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone playing Draft Night Cliche Bingo Tonight? Here are my contributions;

Takes the ball at its highest point
Son of a gun
Any indigenous player to be described as ‘excitement machine’ or ‘electric’
Draft bolter
Any indigenous player to be compared to another past indigenous player
Surprise packet
Improve their draft hand
Hails from [anywhere that isn’t a capital city]
Go home factor
Bontempellie-like
Petracca-like
Jyhe Clark-Joel Selwood comparison

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
I like it. You can add 'recency bias'. Probably the most overused term of 2022.

Son of a gun
Draft bolter
Surprise packet
Improve their draft hand
Go home factor
Bontempellie-like
Petracca-like

Son of a gun
Draft bolter
Surprise packet
Improve their draft hand
Go home factor
Bontempellie-like
Petracca-like
Draft slider is the yang to Draft bolter's yin.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Way to stick it to the man Tony, you tell em!!

Personally thought the trade period match thread was awesome but if anyone else disagree's feel free to PM one or all of us to discuss

I thought it worked well but I don’t see the need to temporarily close the other threads this early.

If you wanted to temporarily close the threads say an hour before the draft then I don’t think they’d be too many complaints.

I can certainly see why Tony would be annoyed if he’s done what he thinks is a decent post but no one is looking at it.

I thought it worked well but I don’t see the need to temporarily close the other threads this early.

If you wanted to temporarily close the threads say an hour before the draft then I don’t think they’d be too many complaints.

I can certainly see why Tony would be annoyed if he’s done what he thinks is a decent post but no one is looking at it.
Fair call, like I did with the trade match day thread, a few warnings are probably required so everyone knows the threads are going to be temporarily closed. Lessons learnt for future

Fair call, like I did with the trade match day thread, a few warnings are probably required so everyone knows the threads are going to be temporarily closed. Lessons learnt for future
You know what isn't locked? The season 2022 Game Previews poll.

8269603_1.jpg

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
On the subject on the draft, I don’t think any part of our list is in such a good shape that we should be annoyed at who we select if it’s not the position we’d ideally like.

For me we lost six experienced players. We probably don’t need to replace Tucker imo but we’ve replaced Lobb with Jackson, Mundy with O’Meara and Logue’s forward role by Corbett. For if we get cover at KPD, Ruck and wing our list is as functional as this year. With improvements from youngsters we should be alright.

Longer term, as I said above, I could make a case for each type of player. I’m going to have other things on during the draft but I don’t think I’ll be disappointed as long as we add the cover I said above (Walls’ comments suggests we will) and draft a few guys for the longer term. Whatever we add for the longer term, we’ll have to top up in other areas later anyway imo. Let’s not get too pissed off if we draft a HBF or inside mid at pick 30…

Last edited:

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I won't spend too much time on it because nothing will change but I agree with the "overmodding" thing raised by TG.

Closing down the media thread was just ridiculous and killed it for me. What's the point of not being able to discuss the article posted. Stupid stuff.

To close the other threads during trading and now drafting was and is just as silly in my opinion. There's no problem at all with multiple threads that I can see.

Anyway, back to the draft. Please someone take Ginbey and Allan before the birds can. Save those fine young men from the perils of the yellow.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Son of a gun
Draft bolter
Surprise packet
Improve their draft hand
Go home factor
Bontempellie-like
Petracca-like

20 bucks on ‘synergy’ getting a mention

Mar 25, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
You know what isn't locked? The season 2022 Game Previews poll.

8269603_1.jpg
J8rvpg3XHRX-l5rqUVhqKquvrOw=.gif

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

All good I was only ******* around

Back