Draft 2022 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine most VFLW talent, the top standard will be signed by Essendon, Hawthorn and even Sydney. Scott Gowans is no fool he knows anything over 25% of Sydney talent will be his undoing seeing NSW/ACT has the weakest draft pool. Molly Eastman, Jaide Anthony, Aimee Wheelan, all overlooked for the draft and all credentialed. There's only four more players from the previous VFLW Team of the Year that remain undrafted and one All Australian (Chloe Leonard). I imagine they will be approached. Or maybe Collingwood has kept Caitlin Bunker and Matilda Zander as top up players and signed them in the last season? That is just a guess perhaps you know that answer?
Nah I very rarely watch VFLW stuff so any guess is better than mine, the best starting point is those that played for the U23 All-Stars against the Academy side

Nah I very rarely watch VFLW stuff so any guess is better than mine, the best starting point is those that played for the U23 All-Stars against the Academy side

IMO the girls on this list were probably more valuable than the u19s of last years draft save Rowbottom, Prespakis, Sherar, and James. Not all were a pass mark, but showed enough to get re-signed. Sophie Locke, on the other hand, could be the biggest mistake since Ash Riddell of 2017 and now she's on Hawthorn's list.

Attachments

• VFLTOTY2021.jpg
    VFLTOTY2021.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 43
I'd say if you're a Victorian Under 18s player and you didn't get a combine invite then you're in trouble. I know for a fact that a player on that list only had one known club of interest (ie interviewed so far) so it means that pretty much it's a one-club nomination system.

Non-Victorians are a bit different as Port will pick up mature-agers in SANFLW (and possibly the odd one in WAFLW/QAFLW).

The good VFLW players will be scooped up by Hawks/Bombers or go to their aligned clubs because they believe they can take the next step.

I'd say if you're a Victorian Under 18s player and you didn't get a combine invite then you're in trouble. I know for a fact that a player on that list only had one known club of interest (ie interviewed so far) so it means that pretty much it's a one-club nomination system.

True but there are always these unpredictable random players that somehow make it to a list like Eloise Chaston for example. Granted I don't think she lit the world on fire and experts could say she was probably drafted too early, but she got drafted and was not in the combine. Same as Bella Smith, no draft combine but still got a spot. The whispers in coaches ears can sometimes make all the difference but do I think it's right? No, not at all. It looks like more of a gamble created by unnecessary influence.

IMO the girls on this list were probably more valuable than the u19s of last years draft save Rowbottom, Prespakis, Sherar, and James. Not all were a pass mark, but showed enough to get re-signed. Sophie Locke, on the other hand, could be the biggest mistake since Ash Riddell of 2017 and now she's on Hawthorn's list.
Might be wrong but I don’t think Ash Riddell played any Rep footy

Might be wrong but I don’t think Ash Riddell played any Rep footy
In her time the NAB League was the TAC Cup. That was youth girls in its infancy. Back then more AFLW players were contributed in VFLW which made for harder competition. If you made Team of the Year for VFLW and weren't on an AFLW list, you deserved to be noticed. And Riddell was surrounded by talent. No I don't believe she did play any Rep football. But she still played amongst the best.

Attachments

• VFLTOTY2017.jpg
    VFLTOTY2017.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 40
More on the combine. I believe when it comes to Queensland, SA and WA, the heavy hitters are pretty obvious. But looking at NSW and their combine invitees, how many will be picked? We know the story with Goldsworthy and perhaps Hamilton as well, Dakota Mason a possible academy alongside Madeline Covenry (also not listed on the combine but made the allies team). Zara Hamilton and Georgie Jacques look like early picks, so where do
Eleanor Bishop, Tess Cattle, Teagan Germech, Freya Taylor, Asha Turner Funk, Emily Eaves, Jemima Wrigley, Olivia Cicolini, Madison Gray, Tayissa Gray, Grace Hay, India Lehman fit in the scheme of things.

More on the combine. I believe when it comes to Queensland, SA and WA, the heavy hitters are pretty obvious. But looking at NSW and their combine invitees, how many will be picked? We know the story with Goldsworthy and perhaps Hamilton as well, Dakota Mason a possible academy alongside Madeline Covenry (also not listed on the combine but made the allies team). Zara Hamilton and Georgie Jacques look like early picks, so where do
Eleanor Bishop, Tess Cattle, Teagan Germech, Freya Taylor, Asha Turner Funk, Emily Eaves, Jemima Wrigley, Olivia Cicolini, Madison Gray, Tayissa Gray, Grace Hay, India Lehman fit in the scheme of things.
Is there an expectation that the Gray twins and Hay would nominate NSW over VIC? All represented Vic Country and probably have more chance of being picked up with 10 teams compared to 2 (even if the NSW pool is very thin).

Is there an expectation that the Gray twins and Hay would nominate NSW over VIC? All represented Vic Country and probably have more chance of being picked up with 10 teams compared to 2 (even if the NSW pool is very thin).
I think all 3 would be guaranteed to be drafted in NSW, outside of Zara Hamilton (and Cynthia if she does choose NSW) they're the next best in that pool, and even then arguments could be made about where Zara sits in that group

I think all 3 would be guaranteed to be drafted in NSW, outside of Zara Hamilton (and Cynthia if she does choose NSW) they're the next best in that pool, and even then arguments could be made about where Zara sits in that group
Zara is a Canberra talent, but is she assured for the NSW pool in the draft?

Everything so far suggests she's nominating NSW
Sounds like an educated guess. But could you imagine, Zara Hamilton, Cynthia Hamilton and Georgie Jacques nominating Vic? You'd have to have a team in Canberra to keep their talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Madison and Tayissa Gray and Grace Hay all repped Vic Country. Hay (Lavington same as Zarlie) is the closest to Sydney, but still far closer to Melbourne. The Grays (obviously both Shepparton) would only pick there if assured they were getting a list spot I'd think. If they can get in a Vic draft pool, they'll nominate Vic.

Sounds like an educated guess. But could you imagine, Zara Hamilton, Cynthia Hamilton and Georgie Jacques nominating Vic? You'd have to have a team in Canberra to keep their talent.
Zara might play in Canberra, but she's from Wagga Wagga, which is another couple of hours up the road. Whereas Cynthia is based in Canberra.

The reality of the situation is the NSW-ACT pool just isn't that strong. It's not to say it can't get stronger, but as it stands you've got two potentially high-level players in Goldsworthy and Cynthia Hamilton. Zara Hamilton is obviously draftable but not in the same bracket as those two, then there's a gap.

Why would Georgie Jacques pick Vic?

Zara might play in Canberra, but she's from Wagga Wagga, which is another couple of hours up the road. Whereas Cynthia is based in Canberra.

The reality of the situation is the NSW-ACT pool just isn't that strong. It's not to say it can't get stronger, but as it stands you've got two potentially high-level players in Goldsworthy and Cynthia Hamilton. Zara Hamilton is obviously draftable but not in the same bracket as those two, then there's a gap.

Why would Georgie Jacques pick Vic?

Agreed, but with all the top talent seemingly heading for Victoria, does that make Zara Hamilton the first round pick in the NSW Draft?

Why would Georgie Jacques pick Vic? I was just using that as a hypothetical. However, I know she plays for Ainslie but does she have any ties in Sydney? Because Canberra has pathways to the Murray Bushrangers and the Giants Academy, players can be influenced head either north or south. But I have noticed a few girls from Canberra have made the trip down just to play VFLW.

Agreed, but with all the top talent seemingly heading for Victoria, does that make Zara Hamilton the first round pick in the NSW Draft?

Why would Georgie Jacques pick Vic? I was just using that as a hypothetical. However, I know she plays for Ainslie but does she have any ties in Sydney? Because Canberra has pathways to the Murray Bushrangers and the Giants Academy, players can be influenced head either north or south. But I have noticed a few girls from Canberra have made the trip down just to play VFLW.
Zara would probably be first picked in the draft, though if Cynthia stays (which she may well now if her sister coming to town is enough) then Cynthia is the easy logical choice. Swans might opt for Dakota Mason as the nominal AFLW Academy member.

There's no certainty Jacques would get picked up in the Victorian pool so I'd be very surprised if she nominated unless there as a specific club that was interested in her.

Zara would probably be first picked in the draft, though if Cynthia stays (which she may well now if her sister coming to town is enough) then Cynthia is the easy logical choice. Swans might opt for Dakota Mason as the nominal AFLW Academy member.

There's no certainty Jacques would get picked up in the Victorian pool so I'd be very surprised if she nominated unless there as a specific club that was interested in her.
What about Madeline Convery, is she an ideal candidate for Swans Academy, or because she's not on the combine she has no chance?

And Alexia heading heading to Sydney. Interesting, maybe they can sign Jayde and you'll have three Hamilton sisters playing for Sydney.

Last edited:
J'Noemi Anderson, is she a lock for Gold Coast, it seems that Gold Coast aren't as tight with their NT talent despite the relationship. Does she nominate anywhere or is she Queensland bound? That being said, is she a lock for being drafted?

What about Madeline Convery, is she an ideal candidate for Swans Academy, or because she's not on the combine she has no chance?

And Alexia heading heading to Sydney. Interesting, maybe they can sign Jayde and you'll have three Hamilton sisters playing for Sydney.
Convery is more of a Swans-only chance you'd think. If she does get drafted it will be through there, they might want to pick up a few players to promote their Academy and she was one of the better ones (despite the Swans not having the same top-end talent as the GIANTS).

J'Noemi Anderson, is she a lock for Gold Coast, it seems that Gold Coast aren't as tight with their NT talent despite the relationship. Does she nominate anywhere or is she Queensland bound? That being said, is she a lock for being drafted?

J'Noemi is boarding in Melbourne currently, not sure what she plans to do next year in terms of studying, but I wouldn't be shocked if she nominates Victoria. But otherwise yeah Gold Coast would pick her up. She'll get drafted, had a good carnival this year.

2022B certainty is now go.

Pie 4 Life, eDPS and PMBangers.

The next wave begins.
Appreciate it being June 29, maximises the time for the AFLW Draft Guide to be done. I was treating it like second week of June and racing through the bits, this will give more than enough time to get it all together.

Appreciate it being June 29, maximises the time for the AFLW Draft Guide to be done. I was treating it like second week of June and racing through the bits, this will give more than enough time to get it all together.

Plenty of time to add and edit.

Looking forward it.

Well it's great to see the girls get their rewards. But I'm curious about teams getting effected from expansion and injury. I was looking back at the 2018 draft, the AFL brought in something called Inactive player compensation pre-listing. Considering the current expansions, will the AFL allow teams to sign VFLW talent for specified draft picks? It's how Sophie Alexander and Erica Fowler found their way to Collingwood who currently need to fill six spots I believe heading into next season.

Well it's great to see the girls get their rewards. But I'm curious about teams getting effected from expansion and injury. I was looking back at the 2018 draft, the AFL brought in something called Inactive player compensation pre-listing. Considering the current expansions, will the AFL allow teams to sign VFLW talent for specified draft picks? It's how Sophie Alexander and Erica Fowler found their way to Collingwood who currently need to fill six spots I believe heading into next season.
A special allowance due to Chloe Molloy getting injured after re-signing (in conjunction with Collingwood being disproportionately impacted by expansion).

Technically nobody is contracted for next season yet, so Collingwood don't have to re-sign Bonnici and Davey. But if they do, are they entitled to compensation for signing known unavailable players? I doubt it, hence the recent reports of St Kilda considering whether to delist Rhiannon Watt.

If a club needs extra picks to fill out their list, the AFL will give them but they'll just be tacked onto the end of the draft.

Carlton are in need of tall stock up forward. Is Bridie Hipwell their target with their first round pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back