Draft 2022 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I highly doubt she'll go that high. I expect Eagles will take her with a later pick as they'll have more spots to fill. Should be about nine by the time the draft rolls around. Don't think Freo will have as many (but could be wrong depending on trade period).
With Gemma Houghton going to Port, Fremantle would have to be interested in drafting her. Everybody wants Roberts but there's no way in hell she slipping past the first round. But then who's next in the WA Pool? Mann, Wakfer? Keep in mind Fremantle has good ruck stocks and their backline isn't bad either.

With Gemma Houghton going to Port, Fremantle would have to be interested in drafting her. Everybody wants Roberts but there's no way in hell she slipping past the first round. But then who's next in the WA Pool? Mann, Wakfer? Keep in mind Fremantle has good ruck stocks and their backline isn't bad either.
Houghton and Bartlett are different players. Aside from sharing the forward 50, they play very different roles.

Wakfer is next best and probably the best chance Freo have if getting a tall. Bushby and Elkington the next best top-agers, with Ella Smith the standout mature-ager followed by Jaide Britton.

Having Kate Bartlett being redrafted by West Coast wouldn't sit well with me.

Redrafting a player shouldn't be the thing to do.
Shes worked pretty hard on her deficiencies

Shes too good for state level - in the WAFLW anyways

Houghton and Bartlett are different players. Aside from sharing the forward 50, they play very different roles.
I know Houghton will always have that speed on her, but aside from that, how are they different (no sarcasm, genuine question, I haven't seen too much WAFLW this year)?
Wakfer is next best and probably the best chance Freo have if getting a tall. Bushby and Elkington the next best top-agers, with Ella Smith the standout mature-ager followed by Jaide Britton.

So what would your WA power ranking look like (age being irrelevant)? Who's the top 5 for WA?

Last edited:
I know Houghton will always have that speed on her, but aside from that, how are they different (no sarcasm, genuine question, I haven't seen too much WAFLW this year)?

So what would your WA power ranking look like (age being irrelevant)? Who's the top 5 for WA?
Houghton is a player who will work up and back and provide a lot of defensive pressure. She can also be a menace in the air or at ground level.

Bartlett - though she has improved this season hence the renewed interest - is a stay at home forward. She is quick on the lead but more so bloody amazing anywhere within goal range. Her goal sense is well above anyone outside the AFLW and probably most in the AFLW. But generally if she’s not kicking goals, she’s having no impact. That has improved this year luckily, but as Biggie said, her training standards and work rate (which was a concern at U18s level) was the reason for the delisting. She’s always been one of the most prolific goalkickers across the country, just needed to really knuckle down and impact off the ball.

I’d go
Ella Roberts

Lauren Wakfer

Abbygail Bushby
Emily Elkington
Ella Smith
Those three are all pretty close. Smith the best right now but she’s a few years older. Bushby better than Elkington for pure numbers, but Elkington is my best kick in the draft she just doesn’t find enough of it.

Having Kate Bartlett being redrafted by West Coast wouldn't sit well with me.

Redrafting a player shouldn't be the thing to do.
As Biggie said, one look at her (let alone watching her all season) you’ll see she’s too talented. Outside of Ella Roberts she’s probably the most naturally gifted player in the WAFLW. Some players just need a kick up the butt.

A turning point was hearing she actually drove training standards over the preseason telling a teammate they needed to lift.

I’d go
Ella Roberts

Lauren Wakfer

Abbygail Bushby
Emily Elkington
Ella Smith
Those three are all pretty close. Smith the best right now but she’s a few years older. Bushby better than Elkington for pure numbers, but Elkington is my best kick in the draft she just doesn’t find enough of it.
Where are some names like Jamie Henry and Tara Stribley at? I'm trying to think whether Sydney can grab any girls who miss out in WA or QLD post-draft. Though maybe it's a lot tougher this year to sign teens when they are still in high school. Obviously need to combat the weak state draft somehow.

Jamie Henry is born 2005. Can't be drafted this year. Good inside mid. Has played across the HB
Geez, they have some excellent top-end players coming through next year then with Cleaver as well! SA still got the guns it sounds like though.

Geez, they have some excellent top-end players coming through next year then with Cleaver as well! SA still got the guns it sounds like though.
Stribley is one I really liked last year but this year she seemed to drop off a bit. Her numbers went up but her impact on games (most notably her efficiency dropped off). She’s still probably the next best top-ager outside those who have combine invites, and I wouldn’t put it past her getting drafted, but there’s a bit I’ll still like her to work on.

Next year you’ve got Henry, then Cleaver and Kaitlyn Srhoj is the other 05-er I have as a potential top 20 type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Her defensive efforts and training work ethic was poor.

She may have learned from that

Well as a general AFLW fan I'd be happy to see some players out there who kick lots of goals but defend lazily, seeing as most AFLW players are hard the other way! Hope she gets picked up again.

I never found anything that actually explained how many "points" each player was worth that went to expansion clubs

It was a pretty good way for the afl to just make sure Adelaide Brisbane and Melbourne didn't get a first round draft pick regardless of who they lost

ok so this is a crude table but this is what has happened from what I can tell - basically without any formula released to the public, this all looks like the picks were taken away/given based on what ''feels right'' based on how successful each club has been, rather than any tangible ''worth'' of the players lost

The huge outlier is Carlton

-- # of Players lost to expansion sides --
Collingwood - 4 (lost 2nd Rnd pick)
North Melb - 4 (lost 3rd Rnd pick)

Adelaide - 3 (lost 1st Rnd pick)
GWS - 3 (lost 2nd Rnd pick)
West Bull - 3 (lost 2nd Rnd pick)
Fremantle - 3 (lost 3rd Rnd pick)
St Kilda - 3 (EXTRA 1st Rnd pick - lost 3rd Rnd pick)
Gold Coast - 3 (No Picks Lost)

Brisbane - 2 (lost 1st Rnd pick)
Carlton - 2 (No picks Lost)

Geelong - 1 (lost 2nd Rnd pick)
Richmond 1 (lost 2nd Rnd pick)
Melbourne 1 (lost 1st Rnd pick)
West Coast 1 (EXTRA 1st Rnd pick)

St Kilda - 3 (EXTRA 1st Rnd pick - lost 3rd Rnd pick)

It's not an "EXTRA" pick as mentioned by the AFL. It's merely a pick upgrade from 51 to 28 (26 to 15 in Victoria). And that was for our poor performances over the seasons, before we lost our best ball magnets to expansion.

Disrespectful to be honest, considering what other clubs have received over the years for their performances.

Ok, so Collingwood has pick 25 and no second round pick (not that it would have much currency anyway) and seven spots to fill (with injury). So what is Collingwood's best case scenario with their first round pick? Charley Ryan, Keeley Skepper, Bridie Hipwell, maybe?

It's not an "EXTRA" pick as mentioned by the AFL. It's merely a pick upgrade from 51 to 28 (26 to 15 in Victoria). And that was for our poor performances over the seasons, before we lost our best ball magnets to expansion.

Disrespectful to be honest, considering what other clubs have received over the years for their performances.

it's an extra first round pick - but sure it could be called an upgrade

it was a pretty crude table on my behalf, I did it rather quickly from what I could find

I think the point of it though was there really was no logical 'system' employed by the league to work out compensation - Nothing is consistent at all

it's an extra first round pick - but sure it could be called an upgrade

it was a pretty crude table on my behalf, I did it rather quickly from what I could find

I think the point of it though was there really was no logical 'system' employed by the league to work out compensation - Nothing is consistent at all

Oh yeah, I wasn't having a go at you ☮️. Just pissed at the AFL "system", I didn't mean it was you being disrespectful, sorry.

Do they think we should be happy with moving our pick to 28 by calling it "first round"? That's like saying you won the lotto but have to share it with a million other people. In reality it's the same as 5th division. AFL, don't p*ss on my leg and tell me pick 28 is considered "first round". I'm glad they're not doing my tax return.

Ok, so Collingwood has pick 25 and no second round pick (not that it would have much currency anyway) and seven spots to fill (with injury). So what is Collingwood's best case scenario with their first round pick? Charley Ryan, Keeley Skepper, Bridie Hipwell, maybe?
I obviously don't follow the Vic pool as closely as you guys, but out of interest if a club does draft Ryan can she go on the inactive list immediately and then the club signs a free agent after the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back