Draft 2022 AFLW Draft Analysis - Slice of Pie

Remove this Banner Ad

Does WCE still draft Wakfer early and put her on Inactive List and pick again later. Would Freo draft her and have her right for 2023. (Season 8)

Does WCE still draft Wakfer early and put her on Inactive List and pick again later. Would Freo draft her and have her right for 2023. (Season 8)
Fremantle has some pretty decent ruck stocks, Mim Strom (184cm), Aine Teague (185cm normally used as a pinch hitter, pure utility), and Sarah Wielstra (back up 184cm). They don't need Wakfer, especially with an ACL injury. With Ella Smith taken off the board, there is still Emily Elkington and Abigail Bushby for Freo and West Coast to consider. West Coast should sign Wakfer for the long haul. But at what pick is the question? West Coast have three Round 1 picks and Fremantle have one. West Coast should gamble that Wakfer makes it to the last pick of the first round.

Just looking at North Melbourne, do you look for Vic talent with your first pick, or go Tas talent all the way starting with Claire Ransom? At least from their current draft position?

Do North get exclusive access to TAS talent?
Unless they've changed the rule they do. They can generally take them anywhere in the draft, though in another typical rule that is more ethical than in writing, they're sometimes told where to take certain players (ie. with Mia King don't take her with the last pick, she's worth around here etc.). But they've usually got a bit of freedom to take them later on rather than first up.

Unless they've changed the rule they do. They can generally take them anywhere in the draft, though in another typical rule that is more ethical than in writing, they're sometimes told where to take certain players (ie. with Mia King don't take her with the last pick, she's worth around here etc.). But they've usually got a bit of freedom to take them later on rather than first up.
So they can draft best available talent at their early picks, then top up with the best Tas kids with their later picks.

So they can draft best available talent at their early picks, then top up with the best Tas kids with their later picks.
Pretty much yeah. Keeping in mind though there’s one first rounder on quality, the others are probably going to be taken on market value (later in the draft). Next year however…

Lots of top end talent huh?
There's two comfortably inside the Top 20 (IMO Top 10), another one who's pushing Top 20 (maybe 20-30) and one who's say that Top 40 range (who played well on the weekend so might be in for a big year).

not sure if this has been asked before, but any idea which state J'Noemi Anderson will nominate, draft wise?
She's boarding in Vic so it's a good question. It doesn't help, but I presume either Vic or GC depending on what she wants to do studies/work wise.

Since it's been brought up, early stages but here's what I have as my (very early) Top 20 (alphabetical) for 2023:

Brooke Barwick (TAS)
Molly Brooksby (SA)
Ava Campbell (VM)
Georgia Clark (TAS)
Georgie Cleaver (WA)
Darcie Davies (QLD)
Shineah Goody (SA)
Jaime Henry (WA)
Ava Jordan (VM)
Lila Keck (VC)
Josie McCabe (QLD)
Sienna McMullen (QLD)

Alyssia Pisano (VM)
Matilda Scholz (SA)
Kaitlyn Srhoj (WA)
Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (VM)
Kiera Whiley (VM)

Mikayla Williamson (VC)
Piper Window (SA)
Lauren Young (SA)

A few in contention I had in my 20-25 bracket or thereabouts that I've got just outside (Bianca Lyne, Jess Vukic, Bellah Parker, Ebony Milne, Elaine Grigg, Laura Stone, Hayley McLaughlin, Amy Gaylor).

Since it's been brought up, early stages but here's what I have as my (very early) Top 20 (alphabetical) for 2023:

Brooke Barwick (TAS)
Molly Brooksby (SA)
Ava Campbell (VM)
Georgia Clark (TAS)
Georgie Cleaver (WA)
Darcie Davies (QLD)
Shineah Goody (SA)
Jaime Henry (WA)
Ava Jordan (VM)
Lila Keck (VC)
Josie McCabe (QLD)
Sienna McMullen (QLD)

Alyssia Pisano (VM)
Matilda Scholz (SA)
Kaitlyn Srhoj (WA)
Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (VM)
Kiera Whiley (VM)

Mikayla Williamson (VC)
Piper Window (SA)
Lauren Young (SA)

A few in contention I had in my 20-25 bracket or thereabouts that I've got just outside (Bianca Lyne, Jess Vukic, Bellah Parker, Ebony Milne, Elaine Grigg, Laura Stone, Hayley McLaughlin, Amy Gaylor).
Pisano didn't even play in the U17 All-Stars game!!!!1!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE DISRESPECT TO NOT MENTION LAUREN YOUNG IN THE SAME WAY
I had forgotten about her, gotta be concerning she hasn't managed to crack into the Westies side all year but is still a top 20 prospect? Is it a weak pool?

I had forgotten about her, gotta be concerning she hasn't managed to crack into the Westies side all year but is still a top 20 prospect? Is it a weak pool?
Oh no the Moose was right!

She is good but rehabbing an ACL. I suppose Westies were s**t this year from Grand Finalists to Wooden Spoon

Tall defender who is capable of replacing Indy Tahuau?
From your Academy that would be Christine Watson. Athletic tall, bit raw but good aggression and can play anywhere on the field.

Do we see Anderson as a first or second round pick? As in a power ranking?
I'm unaware of ever having seen her play. If you have, I'd turn the question back around at you.

From my perspective, the Vic pool gets a lot harder to figurer out at 10 (accepting that there will probably be at least one or two in the top-10 that I don't expect). At that point, I think everyone has a big question mark on something that teams will either choose to ignore or it could tank them to later in the draft. I genuinely don't know how teams will judge somebody like Anderson against the rest of the pool, but it only take one team, right?

I'm unaware of ever having seen her play. If you have, I'd turn the question back around at you.

From my perspective, the Vic pool gets a lot harder to figurer out at 10 (accepting that there will probably be at least one or two in the top-10 that I don't expect). At that point, I think everyone has a big question mark on something that teams will either choose to ignore or it could tank them to later in the draft. I genuinely don't know how teams will judge somebody like Anderson against the rest of the pool, but it only take one team, right?
North Melbourne would be romantic with brother Jed

If Anderson is still at school, wouldn't Vic be a lock (at least for this season)?
On this sort of wavelength. Clearly, Claire Ransom is going to North but I'm assuming she still goes to school, does that mean she's unlikely to play a game in year 1 since she might never actually train with the main group in Melbourne? (maybe she gets a few sessions in during the school holidays around the draft and the September holidays).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back