List Mgmt. 2022 Carlton Consensus Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
We’re back, baby! A huge ‘22 in 22’, with this consensus thread now into its fifth season.

We’ve had an offseason of change like no other (we’ve been here before), with a new President, CEO, Head Coach, Coaching Staff and a (refreshingly) few player changes all gracing the club ready to attack the 2022 season.

In another year affected by COVID, our reserves and development was again hampered; the boys underachieved on-field; and we sacked yet another coach in a dismal year for the club. However, we are masters of spinning disappointment into hope - so here we are full of hope on the cusp of another campaign that could be anything.

So, we’ve had 7 changes to the list for season 2021.

Veteran Blues Marc Murphy, Eddie Betts and Liam Jones have all chosen to retire. Levi Casboult, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Michael Gibbons and Sam Ramsay then all moved on to other clubs or were delisted.

But despite losing plenty of experience, we continued to improve our list overall, bringing in Free Agent George Hewett and upcoming star midfielder Adam Cerra via trade. We also brought in timely key defender Lewis Young from the Dogs; drafted young excitement machine Jesse Motlop and rookied our very first Carlton Academy player in Domanic Akuei.

We saw some movement on/off the rookie list as well, with Matthew Kennedy and Josh Honey earning elevation to the senior list and Lochie O’Brien and Matt Cottrell being moved back to the rookie list.

So, before we begin I’d like to reorient you all to the way this will happen, as well as providing you some past data to chew on.

The Rules
We will be choosing the best available 22 players to hypothetically line up for Round 1, 2022 against the Tigers at the MCG (surely, we’re due – essentially, our best starting team on paper. We’ll go through each area of the ground: first the midfield; then the backs; forwards; our starting ruck; and finally the final makeup of our bench and emergencies.

As always, we have to use a few assumptions as guides:

1. All players will be fit and eligible for the round one side.
2. We will need a healthy balance of players in each part of the ground i.e. balance of talls/smalls to make a realistic starting side.
3. Players will be eligible for voting in the position/s they have shown a reasonable amount of exposure at the senior level (or junior level for those yet to debut).
4. There are no indiscretions among players leading to disqualification from selection
5. Rookies [A + B] can be selected – any player on our current list.
6. You should independently choose who you believe will be the best players in each respective position to help us win Round 1 against the old enemy – and likely to continue to be a big part of our team for 2022.

Voting
1. First, we will vote for the 5 starting midfielders (including wings) and your rotation player for bench spot #1 (SIX TOTAL - Voting Complete)
2. Then we will vote for the 6 starting defenders and your rotation player who will take bench spot #2 (SEVEN TOTAL - Voting Complete)
3. We will then adjourn for a brief vote to decide our starting ruckman (JUST THE ONE - Voting Complete)
4. Next, we will vote for our 6 starting forwards and one rotation player for bench spots #3 (SEVEN TOTAL - Voting Complete)
5. We will then vote for the final bench spot and position in our 22 - able to make this vote knowing our Best 21 and the positional mix of the side. Players who receive multiple votes in any previous area of the ground will be eligible for this vote (ONE PLAYER - Voting Complete)
6. We’ll then put an open vote to decide the emergencies (with priority going to those who earned vote/s previously - in the case of lack of space - Voting Complete)

NB: Players will be ruled out for following position/s once they are successful in a particular area of the ground (on account of us not being able to have two of the same player despite us wishing #Walsh).

Consensus ‘22 in 22’ Line up
FB: Plowman (91) - Young (100) - Stocker (104)
HB: Williams (122) - Weitering (136) - Saad (132)
C: Walsh (165) - Cripps (162) - Cerra (165)
HF: Martin (141) - McKay (147) - Silvagni (138)
FF: Honey (113) - C. Curnow (146) - Fisher (80)
R: De Koning (80) - Hewett (161) - Dow (87)
I: Kennedy (63) - Docherty (57) - Cuningham (54) - Kemp (33)
EMG: E. Curnow (68) - McGovern (61) - Newman (59) - Pittonet (31)

For those who are keen for some extra reading, have a look at the evolution of our 22 below.

Otherwise, let’s get voting.

The Carlton Consensus Evolution
Brackets ( ) denote amounts of votes received in a given year.

Consensus 2021 Lineup
FB: L. Plowman (126) - L. Jones (129) - A. Saad (129)
HB: S. Docherty (129) - J. Weitering (129) - T. Williamson (96)
C: S. Walsh (153) - E. Curnow (122) - Z. Williams (144)
HF: Fisher (117) - McKay (133) - Martin (129)
FF: McGovern (68) - Curnow (108) - Betts (87)
R: T. De Koning (86) - P. Cripps (157) - W. Setterfield (152)
I: S. Petrevski-Seton (49) - C. Marchbank (77) - J. Silvagni (61) - M. Murphy (31)
EMG: L. Casboult (38), M. Gibbons (28), D. Cuningham (24), N. Newman (22)

Actual 2021 Lineup
FB: L. Plowman - L. Jones - T. Williamson
HB: S. Docherty - J. Weitering - A. Saad
C: W. Setterfield - P. Cripps - M. Murphy
HF: L. Fogarty - H. McKay - J. Newnes
FF: Z. Fisher - J. Silvagni - M. Gibbons
R: M. Pittonet - P. Dow - S. Walsh
I: S. Petrevski-Seton - L. O’Brien - L. Casboult - E. Curnow
EMG: M.Cottrell, O.McDonald, L.Stocker, M.Kennedy

Differences to Consensus 22: 7
Named in R1: Fogarty, Newnes, Gibbons, Pittonet, Dow, O’Brien, Casboult
Not named: McGovern, Betts, Marchbank, De Koning, Williams, C. Curnow, Martin
-------------------------------------------------

Consensus 2020 Lineup
FB: Lachie Plowman (97%), Liam Jones (99%), Kade Simpson (78%)
HB: Sam Docherty (97%), Jacob Weitering (99%), Caleb Marchbank (74%)
C: Sam Walsh (99%), Patrick Cripps (99%), Will Setterfield (97%)
HF: Mitch McGovern (96%), Harry McKay (99%), Jack Martin (94%)
FF: Eddie Betts (98%), Charlie Curnow (97%), David Cuningham (80%)
FOL: Matthew Kreuzer*, Ed Curnow (96%), Marc Murphy (96%)
INT: Sam Petrevski-Seton (63%), Jack Silvagni (53%), Zac Fisher (69%), Jack Newnes (32%)
EMG: Nic Newman (61%), Matthew Kennedy (22%), Michael Gibbons (30%), Levi Casboult*

Actual 2020 Lineup
B: Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Sam Docherty
HB: Nic Newman, Jacob Weitering, Sam Petrevski-Seton
C: Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Jack Newnes
HF: Paddy Dow, Mitch McGovern, Jack Martin
F: Michael Gibbons, Levi Casboult, Jack Silvagni
R: Matthew Kreuzer, Marc Murphy, Ed Curnow
INT: Kade Simpson, Will Setterfield, Zac Fisher, David Cuningham
EMG: not noted

Differences to Consensus 22: 4
Named in Round 1: Newman, Casboult, Gibbons, Dow
Didn’t make the cut: Marchbank, McKay, Betts, Curnow

Consensus 2019 Lineup
FB: Lachie Plowman (121) - Liam Jones (110) - Kade Simpson (146)
HB: Tom Williamson (105) - Jacob Weitering (150) - Caleb Marchbank (151)
C: Marc Murphy (99) - Ed Curnow (104) - Zac Fisher (118)
HF: Mitch McGovern (147) - Charlie Curnow (149) - S. Petrevski-Seton (114)
FF: Will Setterfield (53) - Harry McKay (149) - Alex Fasolo (116)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (132) - Patrick Cripps (152) - Paddy Dow (144)
I: Nic Newman (87) - Matthew Kennedy (87) - Jarrod Pickett (51) - Sam Walsh (40)
EMG: Lochie O'Brien (17) - Dale Thomas (8) - David Cuningham (6) - Tomas Bugg (2)

Actual 2019 Lineup
B: Jarrod Garlett, Liam Jones, Lachie Plowman
HB: Kade Simpson, Jacob Weitering, Nic Newman
C: Marc Murphy, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Zac Fisher
HF: Michael Gibbons, Charlie Curnow, Sam Walsh
F: Ed Curnow, Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay
Foll: Andrew Phillips, Patrick Cripps, Paddy Dow
Int: Dale Thomas, Will Setterfield, Alex Fasolo, David Cuningham
Emg: Cameron Polson, Lochie O'Brien, Levi Casboult, Matthew Lobbe

Differences to Consensus 22: 5
Named in Round 1: Garlett, Thomas, Phillips, Fasolo, Cuningham
Didn’t make the cut: Marchbank, Williamson, Kreuzer, Kennedy, Pickett

Consensus 2018 Lineup
FB: Ciaran Byrne (98) - Liam Jones (156) - Lachie Plowman (161)
HB: Caleb Marchbank (164) - Jacob Weitering (156) - Kade Simpson (150)
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton (175) - Ed Curnow (157) - Marc Murphy (175)
HF: Charlie Curnow (150) - Levi Casboult (108) - Jarrod Pickett (143)
FF: Matthew Wright (119) - Harry McKay (101) - Jack Silvagni (135)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (181) - Patrick Cripps (183) - Matthew Kennedy (177)
I: Tom Williamson (76) - David Cuningham (67) - Zac Fisher (64) - Paddy Dow (67)
EMG: Darcy Lang (66) - Jarrod Garlett (39) - Aaron Mullett (19)

Actual 2018 Lineup
B: Kade Simpson, Liam Jones, Caleb Marchbank
HB: Dale Thomas, Jacob Weitering, Lachie Plowman
C: Aaron Mullett, Patrick Cripps, Marc Murphy
HF: Zac Fisher, Levi Casboult, Jarrod Garlett
F: Matthew Wright, Charlie Curnow, Jack Silvagni
FOL: Matthew Kreuzer, Matthew Kennedy, Sam Petrevski-Seton
I/C: Ed Curnow, Ciaran Byrne, Paddy Dow, Jed Lamb
EMG: David Cuningham, Cameron Polson, Harry McKay, Cameron O'Shea

Differences to Consensus 22: 4
Named in Round 1: Thomas, Mullett, Garlett, Lamb
Didn’t make the cut: Pickett, Cuningham (EMG), McKay (EMG), Williamson

Last edited:
22db5431-b205-4f92-8ca8-ec7c6fb94707_text.gif

A Fencepost 2 bearers and 3 palings, and throw in 6 witches hats for them to dance around.

BEST 22 + SUB

F Walsh Walsh Walsh
HF Walsh Walsh Walsh
C Walsh Walsh Walsh
HB Walsh Walsh Walsh
B Walsh Walsh Walsh
R Walsh Walsh Walsh

BENCH: Walsh Walsh Walsh Walsh
MED-SUB: Walsh
Would get smashed in the ruck, but don’t think that would matter.

One of my favourite threads, get it started already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems fundamentally flawed to be voting for only 6 mids, with 7 forwards and backs.
If you want to leave a final spot open, should be 7 mids and 6 forwards.
And then people voting for Kennedy after voting for Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, and Cerra...

I don't think i've ever selected four names faster. Cripps, Walsh, Cerra and Hewett.

I honestly still can't believe we have Cerra in this side.
It was tough to decide who to select after those 4. I still am iffy on my picks, but I went with Dow and Curnow.
On 3rd glance, I'm even iffier on selecting Ed now.

It was tough to decide who to select after those 4. I still am iffy on my picks, but I went with Dow and Curnow.
On 3rd glance, I'm even iffier on selecting Ed now.
I went Dow and Cuningham, Cunners for the versatility mainly.

I think Ed has reached the point in his career where he suits up as our 22nd player each week and provide an excellent high floor to our team, just doing the hard jobs and hard work. I'll be targeting him at the 22nd player in that role.

It seems fundamentally flawed to be voting for only 6 mids, with 7 forwards and backs.
Agreed, we're not going to play a bloke like Honey (who could be 7th forward) over someone like Curnow, Cunners, Dow or Kennedy (who are likely to be 7th mid).

I get it, but it is still 7 after we do the ruck vote. Our big man is part of that midfield unit. Like last year, I thought it simpler to do a separate vote (including SOS + Mirkov) in the middle somewhere.

Doing the midfield group first also allows us the flexibility and luxury of 'pushing back or forward' the utility types or back/mid and mid/forward guys in our team. So upon reflection, I'm sure we'll look back with our 21 and have guys like Kennedy or Williams / Doc who'll be our 7th mids/forwards that can go through the middle.

And then people voting for Kennedy after voting for Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, and Cerra...

Oi, what's wrong with voting for Kennedy?

I get it, but it is still 7 after we do the ruck vote. Our big man is part of that midfield unit. Like last year, I thought it simpler to do a separate vote (including SOS + Mirkov) in the middle somewhere.

Doing the midfield group first also allows us the flexibility and luxury of 'pushing back or forward' the utility types or back/mid and mid/forward guys in our team. So upon reflection, I'm sure we'll look back with our 21 and have guys like Kennedy or Williams / Doc who'll be our 7th mids/forwards that can go through the middle.

Oi, what's wrong with voting for Kennedy?

It will probably balance out, but it's a structural flaw to be picking more forwards than mids.
If you're picking a 2nd ruckman, he's going to be a forward not a mid (ie you're not going to be picking 0 mid rotations in order to play 2 rucks).

I guess you could go 6/ 5+1 /6 /4.
It seems very early to be making these picks anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back