List Mgmt. 2022 Carlton Consensus Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

How many games did Saldo & Nank play together, If i recall they preferred to play Grig as the 2nd ruck to support the #1 ruck, similar to what many are suggesting we do with Jack.. Worked out okay for the Tigs..

That was 4 years ago, with the 6 6 6, along with other sides, they pretty much ceased that tactic

We didn't run with JSOS as a preferred 2nd ruck option, it was necessity due to injury

Played a handful of games together in each of those years, including a victorious grand final.

86% win rate with both on the park together.

And what of the Eagles in 2018? Three rucks - Naitanui, Lycett, Vardy, 23 goals between them from 50 matches, hardly what you would call dangerous up forward.
And yet they had a 74% win rate that season when two played together, and a 100% record when all three played together.

Disastrous, you say? I wish we had results as disastrous as those.

fair point on Eagles, but I would counter that all 3 of those are considerably better footballers than Pittonet.

Is Motlop a worse option than 2nd year Durdin or Cat B rookie Owies?

It'll be a borderline call.

It's an interesting call and worthy of further discussion :)

I will lay one out right now. Owies is not an AFL footballer.

fair point on Eagles, but I would counter that all 3 of those are considerably better footballers than Pittonet.

OK, but that's a separate discussion and I'm not particularly keen on going down the path of countering your 'eye test' which is about as subjective a measure as there is.

FMD, why you would bring up Levi in this interaction/thread is beyond me

Will do this once

TDK was out for the 1st half of the season, Pitto the 2nd half, MacDonald injured all year, Gov played 5 games, Jsos 15, Charlie 4

I prefer to run with 2 ruckmen, that can take a mark when resting forward, or provide a decoy for Harry

Harry kicked more goals, took more marks, when Levi was playing(insert any other 2nd KPF/ruckman you like).

Not opinion, fact

Let's get back to the supporters best 22 yeah

We had a better win percentage with Casbault out Than him covering injuries to one of TDK and Pitto. We had a better win percentage without two rucks playing. Why, because of the simple fact they are our weakest players on field. So we perform better without them.

This trumps the inane point of McKay goals.

What comes to mind with your posts arrow is that you know just enough to make potentially dangerous opinions.

dangerous? this ain't wuhan, this ain't no disco......

Hehe. That same line may apply to me Lol. At least you are still up to enjoy it.

It came to mind for Arrow as he says everything with such ‘Fact’ and authority. It can’t help but grate.

Im now going back and re reading my posts that I’m not exactly the same as him. It would hurt a lot.

give arrow his due - he is easily the best poster here at presenting a case and supporting it - it drives people insane at times but there it is.........

We had a better win percentage with Casbault out Than him covering injuries to one of TDK and Pitto. We had a better win percentage without two rucks playing. Why, because of the simple fact they are our weakest players on field. So we perform better without them.

This trumps the inane point of McKay goals.

What comes to mind with your posts arrow is that you know just enough to make potentially dangerous opinions.
Win percentage isn't everything.

Let's have a look at those six games where TDK rucked with JSOS as backup:
Rd 15 Adelaide. Close win against a side really struggling.
Rd 17 Geelong. Horrible loss, albeit against a top-ranked side.
Rd 18 Collingwood. Good win. Possibly Jack's best game, super brave after Serge's death. Managed to nullify Grundy and the Pies folded.
Rd 19 Norf. Worst loss in years. Smashed by the #18 side in the comp. They monstered us all over the ground. This game, we just had 3 talls - Weiters, Jones & TDK, Cripps next tallest playing as a makeshift forward. TDK tried hard, but canny old Goldy ran him into the ground, and in the second half he and Xerri just fed their mids as if our rucks weren't there. A lot went wrong in this game, primarily losing H, so it would be wrong just to blame the rucks, but they were getting first hands on the ball every time.
Rd 20 STK. Backed up the last week, with one of our best wins. Frustrating. Saints didn't turn up. Their supporters would have been so frustrated with this game.
Rd 21 Suns. Another horrible loss against a low-ranked side.

So... 3 wins against sides in the bottom half. Two of those wins at least, quite meritorious. But the three losses were truly terrible. And two of those against sides lower than us. As I said above, this isn't all down to the ruck situation, but a close look at those matches will show that the only match where JSOS was really effective as second ruck was the Pies game. Injuries across the ground hurt us right through the year, but particularly during this period, where we should really have been looking to win 5 out of those 6.

As for Caz. He had no pre-season, came into the year injured, unfit, out-of-form. Hard to recover from a start like that. In a perfect world he'd have been given more time to recover fitness, but we didn't have that luxury and played him when we shouldn't have. We are much better structurally when he is there, and despite his 2021 season, I think we'll miss him, because we just don't have a ready replacement for that role. I'm certain a lot of work will be done with TDK and Pitto on their forward play as we need that combination to work, and you've rightly pointed out that up to this point it hasn't. (If I'm fair on this point given the above listing of matches, I'll point out the WCE and GWS matches where both TDK and Pitto played and were pretty bad losses) But failing that, we'll look to McDonald or Young to play the Caz role, with the other at FB. JSOS just isn't an option - he's already got chronic shoulder issues, getting smashed at ruck contests will shorten his career.

As for Caz. He had no pre-season, came into the year injured, unfit, out-of-form. Hard to recover from a start like that. In a perfect world he'd have been given more time to recover fitness, but we didn't have that luxury and played him when we shouldn't have. We are much better structurally when he is there, and despite his 2021 season, I think we'll miss him, because we just don't have a ready replacement for that role. I'm certain a lot of work will be done with TDK and Pitto on their forward play as we need that combination to work, and you've rightly pointed out that up to this point it hasn't. (If I'm fair on this point given the above listing of matches, I'll point out the WCE and GWS matches where both TDK and Pitto played and were pretty bad losses) But failing that, we'll look to McDonald or Young to play the Caz role, with the other at FB. JSOS just isn't an option - he's already got chronic shoulder issues, getting smashed at ruck contests will shorten his career.

Good post Bletch. I think the start of the discussion just centred around two points. There are fair possibilities to win matches without a backup ruck that is a weak player. In our case because Casbault missed preseason/ was underdone, then I felt the over all benefit was not to play him at all. Convention said to play him. I listed enough evidence to make the point. Doesn’t mean you have to prefer it or Voss.

I definitely felt I provided enough information that it might not end up a ‘disaster’.

Not the original discussion but I made a third point I stick by personally. Try and play with your best player make up Within reason. Get creative. Melbourne’s two rucks are not just in their best 22, they are in their best 15. One of them is in their best 3. Our list with Casbault and Pitto and TDK looking at last years form, wouldn’t be in the Dees best 22. None of our three would get a game there.

Strategically why mirror what we can't match. Melbourne would beg us to play those three for a safe win than see us experiment with an alternative potentially winning strategy.

I don’t mind Pittonett as a player, he has a few limitations as a ruckman compared to to his peers throughout the competition, mainly speed and agility but he always has a crack gives his all, uses his body strength really well and provides a great contest over the entire ground getting forward or back when he can….

Mainly through injuries we had to play JSOS as a relief ruckman, whom had the opportunity to show he’s wonderful nous as a footballer given the chance as a midfielder displaying a well balanced game offensively or defensively….

He may not be a pure second ruckman but what he produced as a relief ruck in the centre square ruck bounces when the ball was in dispute, as well as around the ground for me was not only a little surprising but has me thinking of a more mobile and flexible setup…

The conundrum is McGovern, we know he can play forward, has all the speed skills smarts no doubt but injuries throughout his career has been his Achilles heel, i also like the idea of him being trialed as a third defender has the total package to play behind the ball and do well….

What if we can use both JSOS and McGovern as rotating pinch hitters for small blocks in the ruck throughout a game, JSOS has provided a nice quality small sample last season combined as a forward, maybe McGovern can be a floater between all arcs, rotating off the bench, keen to see if there’s something also to work with certainly worth looking at…

No doubt balance, opposition, injuries and form will play a their part and Pitto will no doubt get his fair share of games, but there certainly is the chance to explore some more options and flexibility we may have at our disposal on our list…

What if we can use both JSOS and McGovern as rotating pinch hitters for small blocks in the ruck throughout a game, JSOS has provided a nice quality small sample last season combined as a forward, maybe McGovern can be a floater between all arcs, rotating off the bench, keen to see if there’s something also to work with certainly worth looking at…

I like JSoS. I don’t like the idea of McGovern but that is simply personal preference. I think JSoS buys into a role 100% and above all will fight for Carlton success. McGovern either buys in to a role like that or won’t…I’m not quite sure based on what we have seen.

Other options include McKay and Young doing all fwd and def 50 stoppages. This allows us to carry one less potatoe and one more skilled option.

Between that and JSoS we wouldn’t be predictable because there would be a game where JSoS gets monstered and we lose the game. And there is probably a group of games where we have to have two rucks.

Hopefully we have different gears. IMO holding Pitto up for weeks at a time making him fired up to compete really appeals. With the players ranked 22-30 on our list we see they can play well for 1-2 weeks at def con 5 level but once they get comfortable they fail and get dropped. Cottrell seems like this. I like him on first appearance as he hustles. But his lack of tricks means he is a liability for us comes games 3-5 As he drops his levels slightly.

Nice if the match committee could recognise this and use it to our advantage. Some players like Walsh are 22 games per season AFL quality. Pitto / Cottrell on exposed form are AFL quality for 4-6 games Per season.

I like JSoS. I don’t like the idea of McGovern but that is simply personal preference. I think JSoS buys into a role 100% and above all will fight for Carlton success. McGovern either buys in to a role like that or won’t…I’m not quite sure based on what we have seen.

Other options include McKay and Young doing all fwd and def 50 stoppages. This allows us to carry one less potatoe and one more skilled option.

Between that and JSoS we wouldn’t be predictable because there would be a game where JSoS gets monstered and we lose the game. And there is probably a group of games where we have to have two rucks.

Hopefully we have different gears. IMO holding Pitto up for weeks at a time making him fired up to compete really appeals. With the players ranked 22-30 on our list we see they can play well for 1-2 weeks at def con 5 level but once they get comfortable they fail and get dropped. Cottrell seems like this. I like him on first appearance as he hustles. But his lack of tricks means he is a liability for us comes games 3-5 As he drops his levels slightly.

Nice if the match committee could recognise this and use it to our advantage. Some players like Walsh are 22 games per season AFL quality. Pitto / Cottrell on exposed form are AFL quality for 4-6 games Per season.
I think it may well depend on the new game plan and how exactly we want to structure up along with ball movement, as well as how quickly & long it takes the players to adapt to Vossy and the assistants new game style…

There’s the discussion for a more mobile setup that provides more flexibility and run compared with the two ruckman combo that strengthens your ruck department but takes away from the other, when one of your ruckman being a little lumbering and athletically limited…

I’m sure there will be a number of combinations throughout the year, hopefully the injury count is low as well as trying out some players in new positions, sure McGovern might be a bit of a long shot pinch hitting in the ruck, but there’s no harm in trialing him in multiple positions if it can help or improve the team altogether…

See how things pan out, really looking forward to things finally clicking…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like We've got ourselves an old fashioned shootout.

This morning's training session could well decide who makes the cut:

Young Motlop or serial tease Dave Cuningham. Both locked on 52 votes.

Forwards vote complete
Forward thinking

In what was the closest vote to date, our seven forwards for the 22 in 22' have been decided.

Starting off, our 2021 Coleman Medallist Harry McKay was unanimous, polling at 100% as he should be. Unsurprisingly, fellow 2015 alums in Charlie Curnow (99.3%) and Jack Silvagni (93.9%) weren't far behind.

The talented Jack Martin (95.9%) remains a favourite despite not hitting his straps in Navy Blue.

Josh Honey (76.9%) and Zac Fisher (54.4%) announced themselves as our two favoured small forwards for the Consensus team, polling well and surprising a few.

That leaves the final spot, with a number of young smalls fighting it out for the 'forward bench spot'.

Despite a very hard-fought race from untried draftee Jesse Motlop (53 votes overall), serial tease and talented midfielder David Cuningham (36.7% and 54 votes) stole the final spot in our 21 positional votes.

Now having a strong blend of talls & smalls and speed and dynamics, the final position will be one that dramatically divides.

Do we need a defined second ruck? A solid supporting midfielder? Another back or forward?

Vote to come shortly...

Honestly not sure with this vote - will likely change it a few times in the next 3 days.

Went with Kemp for now given the flexibility it offers to move other pieces around (Young forward, Doc / Williams up the ground / try Kemp forward). Could easily go Durdin or Fog for some speed and tackling pressure and another (mild) rotation in the middle.

Almost went Ed out of respect and for another mid rotation but didn't want any more slower mids in our 22.

Firmly don't want TDK and Pittonet in the same side and see JSOS, Harry and Young capable of splitting the minutes while he's on the bench.

If TDK is out, I expect to run the same structure with Pitto in his place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back