Prediction 2022 FINALS - the month ahead predictions

How many finals wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Geelong's to lose. Three wins at the G and we'll deservedly be crowned premiers.

What's standing in our way?

-- Brain farts from the likes of Hawkins or Cameron getting suspended
-- Cursed with injuries to key players
-- Not continuing to move the ball quickly
-- Someone like Melbourne or Sydney just clicking and playing 3-4 weeks of "next level" football

The ball is in our court though. We're beautifully placed - perhaps better than any finals campaign I can recall. Even in 2007 we went in without Egan who was AA FB and was it Otten's who was still under a cloud?

So the last couple of these we had a much lower % picking anything "win them all" when our opponents were:

Tigers, Kangaroos, Demons (KP), Blues

Then

Port, Bulldogs, Saints, Suns, Eagles

5 of the 9 played at Geelong. One top 4 team.

Now we likely have to play two teams higher than anyone on this list except Melbourne (Collingwood and Sydney), then Melbourne but on their home ground. No KP and a poor finals record. Whereas our H&A form is almost always stellar.

Don't get me wrong, I picked W-W-W too. Although I have been bullish for the previous 9 as well. I guess a winning streak builds people's confidence but the biggest challenges are easily the ones ahead of us.

I guess one factor is a finals prediction is more confusing with all the various options so people go "screw it, W-W-W fits best".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Geelong's to lose. Three wins at the G and we'll deservedly be crowned premiers.

What's standing in our way?

-- Brain farts from the likes of Hawkins or Cameron getting suspended
-- Cursed with injuries to key players
-- Not continuing to move the ball quickly
-- Someone like Melbourne or Sydney just clicking and playing 3-4 weeks of "next level" football
I think options (a) and (c) are unlikely to materialise. And I don't see option (d) as all that foreseeable, either. Option (b) does worry me, though.

Still, the option that worries me more than any of them this time is what I'll call 'option (e)'. One of our all-time faves that you haven't included on your list.

-- Dominating the game for significant periods, but failing to reflect that dominance on the scoreboard.

2008 stings like nothing else for that reason. And I believe our best is again good enough this year to suggest that this could be our biggest obstacle to overcome in this finals series.

We're good enough, no doubt. Just trusting now that we'll also be efficient enough when it matters.

I think options (a) and (c) are unlikely to materialise. And I don't see option (d) as all that foreseeable, either. Option (b) does worry me, though.

Still, the option that worries me more than any of them this time is what I'll call 'option (e)'. One of our all-time faves that you haven't included on your list.

-- Dominating the game for significant periods, but failing to reflect that dominance on the scoreboard.

2008 stings like nothing else for that reason. And I believe our best is again good enough this year to suggest that this could be our biggest obstacle to overcome in this finals series.

We're good enough, no doubt. Just trusting now that we'll also be efficient enough when it matters.

Definitely (e) worries me.

I am super confident we will have our opportunities.

I'm terrified we might go into half time having kicked 3.9 and won every other stat.

This is Geelong

Not worried about the second bye if we win on Saturday?
It is a concern, nothing is really concrete and you can only base your guesses on who is in front of you. Collingwood is just my biggest finals concern followed closely by Sydney. I don’t rate Melbourne as high as others do and I am backing Sydney to upset then this weekend.

The unstoppable force v The immovable object...Our current form and the curse of the QF.

I think we go 3/3, but I believe we make the GF regardless of Saturday's result, but I don't believe we'll win it with a loss first up. It's just too much.

You don't like to look too far ahead with these things, but then again that's what this thread is for. If we win on Saturday the prelim becomes an issue. The buildup will be huge and I would expect a slow start, but we simply have to win that game, regardless of opposition.

If we were to make the GF, I think we win and win it easily. The prelim is the big one for mine, ala '07 it's the monkey on the back and it will be our grand final.

Whether we want to admit it or not It's such a mental hurdle for this group, and I genuinely believe if they get over it a premiership awaits. Winning that game, especially against an MCG tennant would be huge, and would deliver enormous confidence for the following week.

Regardless of what happens I want to preface this by saying this season has been a joy to watch, and has reignited some passion for me football wise, hopefully the boys can finish the job.

Go Cats!!!

The first 15 mins on Sat night I reckon we’ll know whether all the changes we’ve made have been fruitful for a serious premiership tilt.

Will our new game plan and will our ageing stars in Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan be able to cope with finals intensity? Will Rohan be useful? Will Blicavs and Kolo be more composed with ball in hand this time?

If we get positive indicators to those questions then I’ll believe. I’m confident that we have improved sufficiently. Now I want to see proof.

Last edited:
We should be fine.

But LWL.

Teams are gonna bring the tackling intensity that we always crumble against.

It's a different year, and a different team, but here we are.

Back