What would you give up for this guy ...

Jeez he looks the goods.

For me, the untouchables are:
  • Fogarty
  • Thilthorpe
  • Berry
  • Soligo
  • Worrell
I would swap Rachele + 2023 first for JHF and ask for their 2022 second coming back. Maybe if Clarkson gets the North gig Rachele would be open to it. Sounds like blasphemy, and I love the talent on Rachele ... but we are spending our 2022 first to get Rankine. We still need a super-mid.

Moving on Crouch, Rowe and Frampton is going to deliver a grand total of bugger all.

I'd love to believe a player like Brennan Cox is wanting to come to AFC, but it seems unlikely given his contract status. If he does, we are going to be all out of bait!! Hopefully we have an eventful trade period for a change because we aren't going to have much going on in the draft once our picks are all used up :)

Resource - 2022 Provisional AFL Draft Order - live based on current ladder!

Next year's first should get it done when he is out of contract. If we finish around 10th-8th that would be pick 9-11. Would want to see him put his head down and have a consistently good 2023 before entertaining a trade.

Last edited:
It's also incorrect. Adelaide is 3rd for contested possessions, number one for tackles (#7 for inside 50 tackles) and number 3 for clearances. Our struggles this year aren't down to our ability to win the midfield battle, but our inability to turn this win into a win on the scoreboard. That is obviously partly on the midfield too, but they certainly aren't getting 'destroyed' most weeks.
Dig deeper into those statistics. Separate centre clearances to around the ground clearances where we pushed an extra up to the contest for much of the season.
Then picture our leading centre clearance players being Laird and Keays and how effective those clearances are.
There has been enough times our midfield has been completely smashed in a quarter that its game over and its been the same culprits most of the time.

Personally I dont rate tackle numbers and only Melbourne have rated high and won the flag in the past 10 years. Richmond, Hawthorn, WCE, WB rated lowly in their premierships and even Geelong are 8th this year.

When you start comparing DE% to metres gained and clangers then you start to see a glaring lack of skill.
Our mids dont take many marks which maybe part of game plan and they dont get many easy disposals to set up dangerous play, have limited metres gained and dont kick many goals compared to elite mids.
You don't get that hurt factor from our mids especially the set up of Laird, Keays, Crouch.
So while certain stats tell a story the scoreboard and ladder position tell more truth about our mids.

In saying all that add Dawson to the wing and a JHF to the midfield and many of those numbers could be fixed.

Schoey has all the potential to be a very good to elite midfielder. He may be on the shorter side but he’s not small, and certainly not slow.

He has a very good inside and outside game, is a pretty good kick, and has the ability to burst out of stoppages with run and carry.

If you have someone with that level of talent you don’t get rid of them, even if you think they might be surplus to your needs.
Just needs to add upper body and leg strength .....no-way you trade Schoenberg

Not unless it was part of a JHF trade .....and I'm sensing that scenario is highly unlikely

You’re way too concerned with height. Here’s how many sub 6 foot players were fielded in the grand final’s during Richmond’s dynasty:
2017: 9 players
2019: 10 players
2020: 10 players

......yet ignored the fact that Crouch, Rowe, and Sloane are very likely all gone within a year and one of Murphy or McHenry struggles to get a game in a team with Rachele and Rankine.

I agree.

Crouch will be traded is my prediction. He's an accumulator and gets the ball when he has no business coming up with the pill. That means he needs an elite outside player who can read the play. This is how he won the gold jacket. Seedsman out for a year with concussion related issues makes me think that Crouch will find a home in a team where his skills are in demand. I fear we may have seen the last of Seedsman.

Defensive play is also currently valued more highly than skills. We will keep Murphy because he can be defensive. Rowe will be traded. I don't think this is wise in a team where we need footy skills. But if someone is interested and we think the pick will be useful, I think we move him on.

I have heard whispers that Rachele is not happy with the Crows and club culture. I dont know if this is because we have been flooged by the media while getting flogged on field.... and a better season next year will help. Winners are always happy and it has been a tough year.

Surely Sloane only has next year. I fear, however, despite being the great warrior and clubman he is, his age might just catch up with him. I hope he finds a new lease on life, but I fear this is wishful thinking.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree.

Crouch will be traded is my prediction. He's an accumulator and gets the ball when he has no business coming up with the pill. That means he needs an elite outside player who can read the play. This is how he won the gold jacket. Seedsman out for a year with concussion related issues makes me think that Crouch will find a home in a team where his skills are in demand. I fear we may have seen the last of Seedsman.

Defensive play is also currently valued more highly than skills. We will keep Murphy because he can be defensive. Rowe will be traded. I don't think this is wise in a team where we need footy skills. But if someone is interested and we think the pick will be useful, I think we move him on.

I have heard whispers that Rachele is not happy with the Crows and club culture. I dont know if this is because we have been flooged by the media while getting flogged on field.... and a better season next year will help. Winners are always happy and it has been a tough year.

Surely Sloane only has next year. I fear, however, despite being the great warrior and clubman he is, his age might just catch up with him. I hope he finds a new lease on life, but I fear this is wishful thinking.

Age had already caught up with Sloaney pre-knee.

He needs to retire and if he won't go willingly the choice should be taken out of his hands. VB mk 2. Biggest no-brainer decision we could/should make, but won't.

Who makes our side better?

My list of wants (who have a somewhat chance to want to come to SA)

Jason Horne-Francis
Izak Rankine
Josh Dunkley
Caleb Poulter
Toby Bedford
Poulter is a good chance to not be a Collingwood next year. Still has not signed and we need some list spots for potential players like Taranto, McStay and Frampton.

You’re way too concerned with height. Here’s how many sub 6 foot players were fielded in the grand final’s during Richmond’s dynasty:
2017: 9 players
2019: 10 players
2020: 10 players

The claim our midfield is being “destroyed” most weeks is an exaggeration. Have you considered the fact any of this might be due to the age and experience of our team?

You said we can’t play “Laird, Berry, Soligo, Jones, McHenry, Crouch, Schoenberg, Rowe, Parnell, Pedlar, Sloane and Murphy in the same team” yet ignored the fact that Crouch, Rowe, and Sloane are very likely all gone within a year and one of Murphy or McHenry struggles to get a game in a team with Rachele and Rankine.
Again you generally miss the context that most are saying in regard to bigger midfielders.

That dynasty had a guy called Martin who is 7cm taller than most of our mids and 10kgs heavier with a 10cm difference in reach.

Then Cotchin at 185cm and 2 inches taller than most of our current mids.

Then they had spud Caddy at 186cm

Followed by Graham at 183cm and Edwards 182cm all are taller than our tallest mid and I don't count Keays because he should be playing forward.

If Hamish drafted something like this I couldn't give a rats arse how many sub 180cm if they are like Prestia, Bolton, Lambert Rioli because most of them have a weapons where as most of ours in Murphy, Rowe, McHenry are red hot battlers and there's a big difference.

He sounds a bit like our very own Luke Nankervis. I think there will be more interest over at Port Power.
From the parts I have watched of Nankervis I think he has talent.. but.. he’s going to have to develop significantly to go past the likes of Cook, Pedlar, McHenry, Newchurch etc to get a game at AFL level.

Cheers folks, sounds like he's good for SC but not the Crows. Just as an aside, Marshall is a pretty good young KPF who I'd love to have at my club.
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Are we any chance with this kid or is he going to Port? Will be a gun for a decade. In the Buckley, Voss, Dangerfield mould. I would love Rankine but if I had to choose JHF by a mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we any chance with this kid or is he going to Port? Will be a gun for a decade. In the Buckley, Voss, Dangerfield mould. I would love Rankine but if I had to choose JHF by a mile.
IF Clarko signs with NORTH ......it's all over, JHF will be staying ....Clarko has that much charisma

From the parts I have watched of Nankervis I think he has talent.. but.. he’s going to have to develop significantly to go past the likes of Cook, Pedlar, McHenry, Newchurch etc to get a game at AFL level.

I think he was drafted as a project player, no rush here. From where he started, he's shown enough that says we were right to pull the trigger in the pre season draft.

And if he signs with Essendon JHF returns to SA? Is the AFC a chance?
More of a chance IMO .....IIRC his Manager has apparently said a few days ago, JHF intends to honour his Contract ....makes sense, particularly with a new Coach .....but these things are fluid

Sounds a little bit made up (not saying from you), where did you hear this?

He would have been disappointed with the Carlton game for sure, but we are building.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

IF Clarko signs with NORTH ......it's all over, JHF will be staying ....Clarko has that much charisma
As in, you think he will stay on for next season or long term? It does seem a bit of a no brainer if Clarkson does coach, JHF is likely to see out his contract but I still have question marks as to whether they can retain him further.

On CPH1903 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What would you give up for this guy ...

Jeez he looks the goods.

For me, the untouchables are:
  • Fogarty
  • Thilthorpe
  • Berry
  • Soligo
  • Worrell
I would swap Rachele + 2023 first for JHF and ask for their 2022 second coming back. Maybe if Clarkson gets the North gig Rachele would be open to it. Sounds like blasphemy, and I love the talent on Rachele ... but we are spending our 2022 first to get Rankine. We still need a super-mid.

Moving on Crouch, Rowe and Frampton is going to deliver a grand total of bugger all.

I'd love to believe a player like Brennan Cox is wanting to come to AFC, but it seems unlikely given his contract status. If he does, we are going to be all out of bait!! Hopefully we have an eventful trade period for a change because we aren't going to have much going on in the draft once our picks are all used up :)

Resource - 2022 Provisional AFL Draft Order - live based on current ladder!
He is a legit Dangerfield clone with hopefully a better kick inside 50.

He sounds a bit like our very own Luke Nankervis. I think there will be more interest over at Port Power.
There's another player who just turned 21. 187cm, 81kg. Tough as nails, despite a bit of a gangly body type like Nankervis and Poulter. Could play inside/outside mid as comfortably as a role in the back lines. Already won 2 SANFL premierships. Gone and chased his other dream of working on a Cattle Station in remote WA in 2022 after not getting drafted.

I sometimes wonder how the recruiters decide who and why they pick up certain players over others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back