Review 2022 Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone have access to this story?

AFL Draft: Eight players receive mid-season draft exemptions, mid-season contender playing with Richmond VFL​

Eight players received late exemptions for the mid-season draft. From a recent West Coast debutant to a relative of an Indigenous football legend, here’s the bolters in the mix.

Dan Batten and Chris Cavanagh

Eight state-league players were granted late exemptions for the mid-season draft this week, and their stories vary considerably.
Players must receive an exemption to be drafted if they did not nominate for the previous draft period, with the allowance generally indicating that a club or multiple clubs are interested in selecting them.

From a 28-year-old key forward to a West Coast debutant to the great grandson of an Indigenous football legend, here’s the eight bolters who could join your club.

Who could your club pick up?

Who could your club pick up?

Jake Florenca (South Fremantle/WA)

Midfielder, 25, 184cm, 86kg

Arguably the most high-profile of this list after an eye-catching AFL debut for West Coast as a Covid top-up player in round 8, where he impressed with his work in the clinches. The 184cm midfielder tallied 19 disposals, 13 contested possessions, seven tackles, four clearances and 102 KFC SuperCoach points against Brisbane, who have no shortage of quality midfielders. Florenca has been in blistering form in the WAFL, where he is averaging a whopping 20 contested possessions, 32 disposals nine clearances, nine tackles across the first three rounds, and was one of the WAFL’s best with 18 possessions and a goal against the SANFL last weekend’s representative game. Could he play for two clubs inside the very same season?

Jake Florenca celebrates a goal for the of the WAFL. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

James Blanck (Box Hill/VFL)

Key defender, 21, 195cm

A rock-solid defender with good hands overhead, Blanck trained with the Hawthorn over the summer with several others Box Hill Hawks players but was unable to be listed with the club, but now is able to after receiving an exemption to be nominated for the mid-season intake. The Hawks have been beat up in this year by key forwards, conceding 13 goals in the past fortnight alone to Richmond and Essendon. Will Blanck follow Jai Newcombe’s lead and become the next Box Hill export to join the Hawks through the mid-season draft?

Kallan Dawson (Williamstown/VFL)

Medium defender, 23, 194cm

Dawson has improved considerably this year after five VFL matches in two seasons in 2018 and 2019 for Williamstown. He shone in his most recent VFL match against Frankston, hauling in 11 marks (four of those intercept marks), seven intercepts and finishing with 15 kicks at 80 per cent efficiency. The 194cm defender rates elite for marks and intercept marks in the VFL.

Wade Derksen (Peel Thunder/WA)

Key forward, 20, 195cm, 90kg

After playing his first match for the year in the reserves, the Northern Territory native has made an immediate impression at WAFL senior level for Peel Thunder, kicking seven goals in three matches. highlight was a four goal, 15 contested possession and 22 disposal outing against West Coast’s reserves side playing in a forward-ruck role, starring with his athleticism in the air and at ground level. He played two matches for Essendon’s VFL side last year.

Kim Kantilla (South Adelaide/SA)

Small forward, 179cm

Like Derksen, Kantilla started the season in the reserves and stood tall against an AFL reserves side in the Adelaide Crows. Just weeks after joining South Adelaide from the Tiwi Bombers, the X-Factor forward racked up 18 disposals, 11 marks and booted three goals against the Crows. He is the great grandson of David Kantilla, who is recognised as the first Indigenous Australian to play in the SANFL.
Kim Kantilla is in the mix. Picture: Floss Adams.

Kim Kantilla is in the mix. Picture: Floss Adams.

Liam Reidy (Frankston/VFL)

Ruck/forward, 21, 204cm

Reidy presents as an option for a club in search of a ruckman. The 204cm prospect is averaging nine touches, four tackles and 83 ranking points across seven matches for the Dolphins, impressing with his follow up work and competitiveness.

Zac Strom (South Fremantle/WA)

Key forward, 28, 198cm, 103kg

Strom has been in the WAFL system since 2013, playing 140 matches and kicking 69 goals. The 28-year-old has started this season strongly, averaging 14.7 disposals, 6.3 marks and kicking seven goals from his three matches, including three against the Eagles. Strom is a strong body that can make an instant impact at AFL level, and he trained with Fremantle during the pre-season in search of a list spot. Could one of the Western Australian clubs be in the frame?

Brett Turner (Glenelg/SA)

Midfielder, 25, 185cm, 88kg

Like others on this list, Turner turned it on against an AFL listed side in the Adelaide Crows. Try these numbers on for size – 38 disposals, 23 kicks, 27 uncontested possessions, 14 score involvements and four goals. The experienced midfielder hurt his foot in his next match and has not featured since but remains on the radar.

Even though D’Ambrossio went to the school I teach at, I never saw him play.

Can he be that reliable run and dash/fall back in the hole, Jess Sinclair type player or more of a HB/mid?

Last edited:
25 posessions for Massimo playing VFL for Richmond today..10 K 15 h. 4 m. 3 t
Very impressive

Take Massimo with our first pick

Open up a second pick on El Nour, should still play second half of the year and could be a long term prospect

Even though D’Ambrossio went to the school I teach at, I never saw him play.

Can he be that reliable run and dash/fall back in the hole, Jess Sinclair type player or more of a HB/mid?

Yep, that’s the exact role he had been playing. Similar to the way Hall plays for us. He is a bit better at defending one on one though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurry and use that LTI North. We have half our squad out just pick someone.
Put Phillips on ice - will only harm him by rushing back

Will be such a north thing (jacobs) to not put a guy on LTI that won’t play for the year

45 points in it - ie we would have to lose by 45 points more than what WC lose by to get first pick.

North v Saints - WC v the Dogs in Perth.

Odds now that we get Pick 2 but its not over yet.

I have a theory West Coast have completely different needs to us so I'm not sure they're a terrible team to have before us in either draft this year. I think they'll look local for the MSD (I'm sure they'll take Florenca and may have to go early) and the longer the year goes Elijah Hewett moves into frame for them (although Wardlaw is a type they need).

I have a theory West Coast have completely different needs to us so I'm not sure they're a terrible team to have before us in either draft this year. I think they'll look local for the MSD (I'm sure they'll take Florenca and may have to go early) and the longer the year goes Elijah Hewett moves into frame for them (although Wardlaw is a type they need).
If eagles pass I wouldn’t even mind picking up Florenca. works hard and has that same textbook Tim Kelly kicking action.

Last edited:
If we paid him out, do we lose him as a coach?
Not sure we’d need to do that? Is he injured or just not actually there to play at all? I assumed he came to be a coach who would play some games in the VFL as a playing-coach and possibly play a game or two in the seniors if we were desperate. Frankly, I wasn’t sure I’d find a photo of him in a North jumper, which says a bit I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back