Academy 2022 Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
NAB League Round 3

Friday 15th April

Sandringham Dragons vs GWS Giants 11:45am (Trevor Barker Oval)

Gippsland Power vs Sydney Swans 2:00pm (Trevor Barker Oval)
Finally get to see my boys in person šŸŽ‰

Finally get to see my boys in person šŸŽ‰
Keep an eye on Cleary and Nicholls from the Swans. Managed to watch the replay from round 2 and found them both impressive. Cleary very clean and has some power about him. Nicholls fast and smart. Would like to see more of King as a forward option.

NAB Team of the Week Round 2

6 Academy players nominated in Team of the Week (curtesy of Rookie me Central)

ROOKIE ME CENTRAL NAB LEAGUE BOYS TEAM OF THE WEEK: ROUND 2

B: Finn Emile-Brennan (DS) ā€“ Lewis Hayes (ER) ā€“ Tom McCallum (TD)
HB: Archie Roberts (SD) ā€“ Josh Misiti (CC) ā€“ Lachlan Cowan (TD)
MID: Jaxon Binns (DS) ā€“ Mitch Szybkowski (DS) ā€“ Kai Windsor (ER)
HF: Darcy Wilson (MB) ā€“ Nate Caddy (NK) ā€“ Cooper Harvey (NK)
FF: Nick Watson (ER) ā€“ Mitch Howson (BL) ā€“ Hugo Hall-Kahan (SD)
FOL: Harvey Howe (GP) ā€“ Will Ashcroft (SD, c) ā€“ Elijah Tsatas (OC, vc)

INT: Jhye Clark (GF), Max Dow (BP), Jordan Endemann (SS), Jed Foggo (GC), Luke Lawrence (GWS), Matthew Payne (WJ)

EMG: Angus Curry (OC), Jaspa Fletcher (BL), Jack Newitt (CC)

Last edited:
Keep an eye on Cleary and Nicholls from the Swans. Managed to watch the replay from round 2 and found them both impressive. Cleary very clean and has some power about him. Nicholls fast and smart. Would like to see more of King as a forward option.
Cleary will be 2023 years draft. Not sure about Nicholls.

Thanks Giant Strides I put my future eyesight at risk and followed via the NAB app on my phone. Probably just as well I couldn't see it clearly, a 50 point shellacking to go with our 70 point defeat. I see your lads put on a show for PMBangers but unfortunately for me Swans are challenging no one this year.

Thanks Giant Strides I put my future eyesight at risk and followed via the NAB app on my phone. Probably just as well I couldn't see it clearly, a 50 point shellacking to go with our 70 point defeat. I see your lads put on a show for PMBangers but unfortunately for me Swans are challenging no one this year.
"Show" is a bit generous, but no Wins from both games for the NSW teams was disappointing. Very much a case of the average skill of the teams letting the top end down, each Academy side had about 5 really good players but the gap was just too big between the next best, especially against Sandy and Gippy who are strong teams

"Show" is a bit generous, but no Wins from both games for the NSW teams was disappointing. Very much a case of the average skill of the teams letting the top end down, each Academy side had about 5 really good players but the gap was just too big between the next best, especially against Sandy and Gippy who are strong teams
I feel we are still struggling with gaps between our best and worst players across all the academies. Still a long way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likely means the Allies team will be fairly strong though.
Not from what I've seen.
The Tassie and NT based additions will help, but I think it'll be a pretty average group of talls for the Allies on current performances. Should be a strong midfield and forward line for an Allies team at least

I feel we are still struggling with gaps between our best and worst players across all the academies. Still a long way to go.
Agreed. Both GWS and Swans have a clear few who can play, the rest are just not at the standard. GWS I think Grace, Rowston, Lawrence, Madden. Swans Iā€™d say Giacometti, Nicholls, Clearly, Kirk show some promising class. Have been disappointed with King and Gander, although itā€™s only early in the season to be fair.

Agreed. Both GWS and Swans have a clear few who can play, the rest are just not at the standard. GWS I think Grace, Rowston, Lawrence, Madden. Swans Iā€™d say Giacometti, Nicholls, Clearly, Kirk show some promising class. Have been disappointed with King and Gander, although itā€™s only early in the season to be fair.
Madden looks great, have really liked what I've seen of him.

I've got to say I don't see it with Giacometti, maybe I'm being too harsh but I walked away from Friday wondering what he had actually done, I specifically remember one kick out of his and nothing else. For mine, if Sydney are gonna take a punt on one of their 19 year olds I'd go with Angus Anderson, but that'd leave them with too many inside mids probably. Gander and King are more about projection being talls, although I agree they haven't looked as good as I thought they would based off last year. Gander's more promising as a forward imo, had a good purple patch on Friday where he showed some good repeat leading efforts and his athleticism, but needs to string it together across a game rather than for 5 minutes, and King at 199 cm probably is going to make it as a Ruck at the next level unfortunately, so would benefit from more time up forward or down back.

In saying that, they've faced 3 strong NAB League teams so far, GWV this coming Sunday is probably their best chance at a win for their NAB League season, so I'm hoping they at least put in a better showing.

I've got to say I don't see it with Giacometti, maybe I'm being too harsh but I walked away from Friday wondering what he had actually done, I specifically remember one kick out of his and nothing else. For mine, if Sydney are gonna take a punt on one of their 19 year olds I'd go with Angus Anderson, but that'd leave them with too many inside mids probably. Gander and King are more about projection being talls, although I agree they haven't looked as good as I thought they would based off last year. Gander's more promising as a forward imo, had a good purple patch on Friday where he showed some good repeat leading efforts and his athleticism, but needs to string it together across a game rather than for 5 minutes, and King at 199 cm probably is going to make it as a Ruck at the next level unfortunately, so would benefit from more time up forward or down back.

In saying that, they've faced 3 strong NAB League teams so far, GWV this coming Sunday is probably their best chance at a win for their NAB League season, so I'm hoping they at least put in a better showing.
i agree the more i see of Giacometti, the more he drops in my ratings and him being a 19 yr old he needs to be consistently good to gt a 2nd chance, Gander is consistently good though, but is he worth a late pick?, Billy King has not impressed me in a few games so i dont see it with him either atm.

i agree the more i see of Giacometti, the more he drops in my ratings and him being a 19 yr old he needs to be consistently good to gt a 2nd chance, Gander is consistently good though, but is he worth a late pick?, Billy King has not impressed me in a few games so i dont see it with him either atm.
Granted I'm pretty lenient on key position prospects so maybe there's a bit of that with Gander, but he sort of ticks all my bare minimum boxes as a KPF; presents consistently, doesn't give up at ground level and is athletic, I wouldn't think he's a National Draft prospect, especially in such a strong KPP pool but as a rookie option I think he's worth a punt, but we never really know with Northern Academy prospects until they play champs either, seeing him against a Hayes or a Busslinger who can match that athleticism will be the biggest test

NAB League Round 3 Results
Granted I'm pretty lenient on key position prospects so maybe there's a bit of that with Gander, but he sort of ticks all my bare minimum boxes as a KPF; presents consistently, doesn't give up at ground level and is athletic, I wouldn't think he's a National Draft prospect, especially in such a strong KPP pool but as a rookie option I think he's worth a punt, but we never really know with Northern Academy prospects until they play champs either, seeing him against a Hayes or a Busslinger who can match that athleticism will be the biggest test
I agree Gander has some athletic ability but I am yet to see him take an overhead mark. Would need a lot of work to be at the level of a KPF anytime soon. I somewhat agree about Giacometti, accumulates touches but not sure he achieved much. Looking at the stats from the last 2 games, impressed with Nicholls touches considering heā€™s back pocket/half back. Generally kicks well, shows speed and power, decision making under pressure can be worked on but I believe he was a midfielder last year so may be still getting used to being a defender. Kirk is exceptionally clean with the ball but does he have the size/power necessary? Have been impressed with Endermann but as a 19yr old he has the experience to be dominating at that level and probably isnā€™t. I guess we wait and see if anyone is willing to develop any of the boys. I would think they need a year or so in a VFL/SANFL side to work on their trade.

I agree Gander has some athletic ability but I am yet to see him take an overhead mark. Would need a lot of work to be at the level of a KPF anytime soon. I somewhat agree about Giacometti, accumulates touches but not sure he achieved much. Looking at the stats from the last 2 games, impressed with Nicholls touches considering heā€™s back pocket/half back. Generally kicks well, shows speed and power, decision making under pressure can be worked on but I believe he was a midfielder last year so may be still getting used to being a defender. Kirk is exceptionally clean with the ball but does he have the size/power necessary? Have been impressed with Endermann but as a 19yr old he has the experience to be dominating at that level and probably isnā€™t. I guess we wait and see if anyone is willing to develop any of the boys. I would think they need a year or so in a VFL/SANFL side to work on their trade.
On Kirk specifically, he's pretty much the exact type of player I fall for every draft, natural smarts and effective with every kick, he's certainly not as strong on the inside as Gulden but I don't see why Sydney couldn't find a spot for him on their list if it's just a size concern, he played a lot more forward last year so that could potentially be his role at the next level but his kicking going forward is just chefs kiss good.

Nicholls was a midfielder last year and a pretty good one at that, but I've liked him more out of the backline where he can get the ball in space more to cover up that decision making, but I don't think he looks overly draftable in either role at the moment

On Kirk specifically, he's pretty much the exact type of player I fall for every draft, natural smarts and effective with every kick, he's certainly not as strong on the inside as Gulden but I don't see why Sydney couldn't find a spot for him on their list if it's just a size concern, he played a lot more forward last year so that could potentially be his role at the next level but his kicking going forward is just chefs kiss good.

Nicholls was a midfielder last year and a pretty good one at that, but I've liked him more out of the backline where he can get the ball in space more to cover up that decision making, but I don't think he looks overly draftable in either role at the moment
May have to do a genetic test at this is not something usually associated with the Kirk name.:tongueoutv1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back