Resource 2022 AFLW Draft Order

AFLW Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

So much lack of information and you wonder why people lose investments in the AFL.
Slow information in terms of dates for the start of pre-season, details in the CBA. Taylor and I are planning to make a resources thread for AFLW player movement but most of the info is in the CBA which we didn't have until last week and now it's only a 1 year deal so it's sort of pointless to rush to make a resource thread that takes a couple of weeks to make, by the time it's sorted out the trade period will be over, and with a 1 year deal it will be out of date before next off-season.

And then you have the big heaps of info all at once when you do eventually get it, such as approved player signings that drop 28 at a time at 5pm on a Tuesday. There should be a spokesperson somewhere that publishes it as they're approved, as with the AFL, but as with a lot of things AFLW feels like an afterthought.

The caps on how many expansion signings can come from each club only came in last week – how can you really plan around that with the expansion period opening two days ago? You may have already got commitments from a bunch of players. And what if two clubs take two players each from the same club, which one has to trade for the fourth player that wants to leave?

Plus the actual draft order is shrouded in mystery, with some teams to lose picks if they don't lose enough players based on a mysterious points system. Expansion teams may also lose picks depending on the quality of the players they bring in, but that part is total speculation, if there's a points-based cap on what you can bring in before you lose your picks, we don't know what it is. Hopefully the clubs know more than we do, otherwise how can you plan for trade period next week?

I found the full proper off-season dates with list lodgement deadlines the other day, after the sign & trade period had started.

The draft combines are only the 2km time trial which is happening today, they've been so slack with it that most of the other testing has already been done by the clubs, which means there isn't publishable data on that unless a journo digs it out of the club. Also means draftees are potentially doing the same tests several times for different clubs, which is the whole point of the combine.

Also wonder how this affects the girls' Year 12 studies, given that August is exam period. For the boys it is always rearranged so they have to be 18 when they're drafted and don't get drafted before doing Year 12, and the interstate draft stuff is all scheduled in the school holidays, draft itself is in November after the exams are done.

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm forgetting too. But it's a combination of disrespectful to the players (who are part-timers and have less flexibility than a full-time player with everything paid and organised for them), difficult for the clubs, and also pretty inconvenient for those of us who would like to know what the heck is going on.

Quoting this into here.
I think the AFL have stuffed this up.

If the framing instead had have been around there being a pre-draft for expansion teams, and anyone who lost x amount of value also gained a pick in this round prior to round 1, no one would have taken issue.

Round 1 = expansion + priority picks
Round 2 = round 1

Do we have a summary of players leaving each club from expansion? Thought I’d ask, before I started.

At this stage, looks like Freo may make the 28 points, worried that WC won’t.

(Sorry, not sorry)

Quoting this into here.

Do we have a summary of players leaving each club from expansion? Thought I’d ask, before I started.

At this stage, looks like Freo may make the 28 points, worried that WC won’t.

(Sorry, not sorry)
In the spreadsheet in the sticky post I’ve been keeping track (scroll right). Sorry it’s a bit tricky to read!

DragoDelph if you copy and paste the link you can open it properly on a computer and it’s easier to read coz freeze panes are on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4Rc0blxxymI5RFAacafqFRx5TebaR1K7rTTH0MfGcU/edit

DragoDelph if you copy and paste the link you can open it properly on a computer and it’s easier to read coz freeze panes are on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C4Rc0blxxymI5RFAacafqFRx5TebaR1K7rTTH0MfGcU/edit
Cheers.

Getting spicy here in WA…

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

Round One:

1 Sydney Swans
2 Hawthorn
3 Port Adelaide
4 Essendon
5 Sydney Swans
6 Hawthorn
7 Port Adelaide
8 Essendon
9 Hawthorn
10 Hawthorn
11 Sydney Swans
12 Sydney Swans
13 Sydney Swans
14 West Coast Eagles
15 West Coast Eagles
16 St Kilda
17 Geelong Cats
18 Richmond
19 Gold Coast SUNS
20 GWS GIANTS
21 Carlton
22 Hawthorn
23 Port Adelaide
24 Western Bulldogs
25 Collingwood
26 North Melbourne
27 Fremantle
28 St Kilda
29 Sydney Swans
30 Hawthorn
31 Port Adelaide
32 Essendon
33 Hawthorn
34 Port Adelaide
35 Essendon
36 West Coast Eagles

Round Two:

37 St Kilda
38 Carlton
39 North Melbourne
40 Fremantle
41 Brisbane Lions
42 Melbourne
43 Adelaide Crows
44 Sydney Swans
45 Hawthorn
46 Port Adelaide
47 Essendon
48 West Coast Eagles
49 Gold Coast Eagles

Round Three:

50 West Coast Eagles
51 Geelong Cats
52 Richmond
53 Gold Coast SUNS
54 GWS GIANTS
55 Carlton
56 Western Bulldogs
57 Collingwood
58 Brisbane Lions
59 Melbourne
60 Adelaide Crows
61 Sydney Swans
62 Hawthorn
63 Port Adelaide
64 Essendon

Round Four:

65 West Coast Eagles
66 St Kilda
67 Geelong
68 Richmond
69 Gold Coast SUNS
70 GWS GIANTS
71 Carlton
72 Western Bulldogs
73 Collingwood
74 North Melbourne
75 Fremantle
76 Brisbane Lions
77 Melbourne
78 Adelaide Crows
79 Sydney Swans
80 Hawthorn
81 Port Adelaide
82 Essendon

Round One:

1 Sydney Swans
2 Hawthorn
3 Port Adelaide
4 Essendon
5 Sydney Swans
6 Hawthorn
7 Port Adelaide
8 Essendon
9 Hawthorn
10 Hawthorn
11 Sydney Swans
12 Sydney Swans
13 Sydney Swans
14 West Coast Eagles
15 West Coast Eagles
16 St Kilda
17 Geelong Cats
18 Richmond
19 Gold Coast SUNS
20 GWS GIANTS
21 Carlton
22 Hawthorn
23 Port Adelaide
24 Western Bulldogs
25 Collingwood
26 North Melbourne
27 Fremantle
28 St Kilda
29 Sydney Swans
30 Hawthorn
31 Port Adelaide
32 Essendon
33 Hawthorn
34 Port Adelaide
35 Essendon
36 West Coast Eagles

Round Two:

37 St Kilda
38 Carlton
39 North Melbourne
40 Fremantle
41 Brisbane Lions
42 Melbourne
43 Adelaide Crows
44 Sydney Swans
45 Hawthorn
46 Port Adelaide
47 Essendon
48 West Coast Eagles
49 Gold Coast Eagles

Round Three:

50 West Coast Eagles
51 Geelong Cats
52 Richmond
53 Gold Coast SUNS
54 GWS GIANTS
55 Carlton
56 Western Bulldogs
57 Collingwood
58 Brisbane Lions
59 Melbourne
60 Adelaide Crows
61 Sydney Swans
62 Hawthorn
63 Port Adelaide
64 Essendon

Round Four:

65 West Coast Eagles
66 St Kilda
67 Geelong
68 Richmond
69 Gold Coast SUNS
70 GWS GIANTS
71 Carlton
72 Western Bulldogs
73 Collingwood
74 North Melbourne
75 Fremantle
76 Brisbane Lions
77 Melbourne
78 Adelaide Crows
79 Sydney Swans
80 Hawthorn
81 Port Adelaide
82 Essendon
What happened to our third round pick?

And ftr. Not against WC getting priority picks, they need them. But when was it ever announced they would be getting them?

What a joke this whole off season has been.
/rant

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
So it appears Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane had their first round pick taken off them. Picks 1 to 8 were evenly split between the 4 expansion sides. From there it appears Hawthorn (x2), Sydney (x3) and West Coast got start of the first round priority picks then Hawthorn and Port got middle of the first round priority picks and then St Kilda, Sydney Swans, Hawthorn (x2), Port Adelaide (x2), Essendon (x2) and West Coast got end of the first round priority picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round One:

1 Sydney Swans
2 Hawthorn
3 Port Adelaide
4 Essendon
5 Sydney Swans
6 Hawthorn
7 Port Adelaide
8 Essendon
9 Hawthorn
10 Hawthorn
11 Sydney Swans
12 Sydney Swans
13 Sydney Swans
14 West Coast Eagles
15 West Coast Eagles
16 St Kilda
17 Geelong Cats
18 Richmond
19 Gold Coast SUNS
20 GWS GIANTS
21 Carlton
22 Hawthorn
23 Port Adelaide
24 Western Bulldogs
25 Collingwood
26 North Melbourne
27 Fremantle
28 St Kilda
29 Sydney Swans
30 Hawthorn
31 Port Adelaide
32 Essendon
33 Hawthorn
34 Port Adelaide
35 Essendon
36 West Coast Eagles

Round Two:

37 St Kilda
38 Carlton
39 North Melbourne
40 Fremantle
41 Brisbane Lions
42 Melbourne
43 Adelaide Crows
44 Sydney Swans
45 Hawthorn
46 Port Adelaide
47 Essendon
48 West Coast Eagles
49 Gold Coast Eagles

Round Three:

50 West Coast Eagles
51 Geelong Cats
52 Richmond
53 Gold Coast SUNS
54 GWS GIANTS
55 Carlton
56 Western Bulldogs
57 Collingwood
58 Brisbane Lions
59 Melbourne
60 Adelaide Crows
61 Sydney Swans
62 Hawthorn
63 Port Adelaide
64 Essendon

Round Four:

65 West Coast Eagles
66 St Kilda
67 Geelong
68 Richmond
69 Gold Coast SUNS
70 GWS GIANTS
71 Carlton
72 Western Bulldogs
73 Collingwood
74 North Melbourne
75 Fremantle
76 Brisbane Lions
77 Melbourne
78 Adelaide Crows
79 Sydney Swans
80 Hawthorn
81 Port Adelaide
82 Essendon
Honestly, where do I even start?

Winners:
Hawthorn - by a mile like wtf?
West Coast - Ella Roberts with no way of losing the top "live" pick 9
Port Adelaide - guaranteed Hannah Ewings, plus the first five in the SA pool yes please

Losers:
Sydney - Not being able to trade their first five picks :(
Adelaide - lost the best player in the game's short history, still lose their first rounder
Bulldogs - I know they weren't giving compensation but geez you don't have to be dead to be stiff

100%. That's going to hurt us getting in any further experienced players.
Yep, unfortunately the NSW-ACT region doesn't have that many clear standouts. You could have gone to a Fremantle or Adelaide, offered up Pick 1 for a gun/s and really looked good (or even the later R1 picks).

A lot of Swans fans celebrating the picks, but in realistic terms it's not like the boys draft. Your recruiters will have to do massive work convincing interstaters to head to Sydney.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep, unfortunately the NSW-ACT region doesn't have that many clear standouts. You could have gone to a Fremantle or Adelaide, offered up Pick 1 for a gun/s and really looked good (or even the later R1 picks).

A lot of Swans fans celebrating the picks, but in realistic terms it's not like the boys draft. Your recruiters will have to do massive work convincing interstaters to head to Sydney.

The two Hamiltons and Mason would be clearly the first three picked from NSW but that's not Top 15 level talent into the club (except for maybe Cynthia Hamilton) with 3 of the first 5 picks. Would need to convince a couple to nominate NSW only and I just can't see that happening easily.

Not being able to trade some of these picks just is a killer for us.

Final Draft Order Ahead of the 2022 Trade Period
Final Draft Order Ahead of the 2022 Trade Period:

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 13.00.50.png

I moved the Ins/Outs to a separate tab, getting too messy.

State draft orders are in the respective tabs as well.

I've included 10 rounds even though the official one only goes to five. Always seem to need them idk.

Lore

Goodness they've completely munted it. Looks like clubs that lost some players but not lots have lost their second or third round picks, and others that didn't lose any lost their first round pick 🤔 Expansion clubs that didn't do so well have got more extra picks than originally scheduled.

West Coast has a priority pick in the first round, which they've noted in the write up, but they've also got an extra West Coast pick at the end of the first round, their own second round pick is missing which is essentially the same pick (possibly someone just stuffed up where the start and end of each round is?). But then West Coast have an extra pick at the end of the second round too, followed by a Gold Coast pick at the end of the second round, and then West Coast's third rounder at the start of the third round directly after it. So maybe it is on purpose after all.

Though I don't know what the significance is of an end of first versus a start of second round pick when it's the same pick... it's not like it's over two days where the start of the second round might be more valuable as it is in the AFL, and I don't think they have anything about bid matching or future pick trading or whatever where the compensation or restrictions are centred around which round a pick is in.

It seems kind of arbitrary or possibly human error in implementing whatever the formula thing spits out, I can't tell which.

FoopyNerd

Debutant
Jan 23, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
Not being able to trade some of these picks just is a killer for us.
Devastated by this. With all due respect to the current signings we have, I was really hoping for a big name for everyone to love from day one. Kind of like how the Dogs had Brennan, Dees Pearce, etc. Now any hope of bringing in that special player is killed.

Apr 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Winners:
Hawthorn - by a mile like wtf?
West Coast - Ella Roberts with no way of losing the top "live" pick 9
Port Adelaide - guaranteed Hannah Ewings, plus the first five in the SA pool yes please

Losers:
Sydney - Not being able to trade their first five picks :(
Adelaide - lost the best player in the game's short history, still lose their first rounder
Bulldogs - I know they weren't giving compensation but geez you don't have to be dead to be stiff
So Collingwood lost 4 players, lost two of our best players to injury and lost our 2nd round pick thanks to the AFL???

Over the two expansion periods Collingwood have lost:
- Jess Duffin
- Jasmine Garner
- Moana Hope
- Emma King
- Bella Smith
- Sophie Alexander
- Aleisha Newman
- Ebony O'Dea
- 2022 2nd round pick

And gained:
- 2018 end of 1st round recruiting compensation pick

Seems fair?
Makes it hard to make a connection to the team when there are so many changes outside the clubs control.

Goodness they've completely munted it. Looks like clubs that lost some players but not lots have lost their second or third round picks, and others that didn't lose any lost their first round pick 🤔 Expansion clubs that didn't do so well have got more extra picks than originally scheduled.

West Coast has a priority pick in the first round, which they've noted in the write up, but they've also got an extra West Coast pick at the end of the first round, their own second round pick is missing which is essentially the same pick (possibly someone just stuffed up where the start and end of each round is?). But then West Coast have an extra pick at the end of the second round too, followed by a Gold Coast pick at the end of the second round, and then West Coast's third rounder at the start of the third round directly after it. So maybe it is on purpose after all.

Though I don't know what the significance is of an end of first versus a start of second round pick when it's the same pick... it's not like it's over two days where the start of the second round might be more valuable as it is in the AFL, and I don't think they have anything about bid matching or future pick trading or whatever where the compensation or restrictions are centred around which round a pick is in.

It seems kind of arbitrary or possibly human error in implementing whatever the formula thing spits out, I can't tell which.
Oprah You Get A Car GIF by Governor of Poker 3

“Not you * Bulldogs, Adelaide, Carlton etc *

Remove this Banner Ad

Back