AFLW Resource

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Do you know if they can put Wakfer straight on the inactive list (assuming they draft her)? Could they potentially make another pick (or pass) at the draft, or would they have to wait to sign someone after?

Either way, that's a lot of turnover.
No clue! You'd think after missing out on Franklin last year they'd still take Wakfer though, it's not like there's many available players that would be better in the long run, or have enough impact to make them a finals contender next season

Apart from Ella Roberts of course, but they'll already have her!

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
No clue! You'd think after missing out on Franklin last year they'd still take Wakfer though, it's not like there's many available players that would be better in the long run, or have enough impact to make them a finals contender next season

Apart from Ella Roberts of course, but they'll already have her!
Drafting Wakfer and signing a mature age replacement seems like a pretty easy decision for them, if Wakfer is as far ahead of the non-Roberts part of the pool as people have suggested.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Below is what I've got for the draft order right now, if anyone's interested. Adjusted pick number on the left, old number in brackets. Using spoiler tags so people on mobiles don't have to scroll past the wall of text.

ROUND ONE

1 Sydney
2 Hawthorn
3 Port Adelaide
4 Essendon
5 Sydney
6 Hawthorn
7 Port Adelaide
8 Essendon
9 Hawthorn
10 Hawthorn
11 Sydney
12 Sydney
13 Sydney
14 West Coast
15 West Coast
16 St Kilda
17 Carlton, from Geelong
18 Carlton, from Hawthorn, traded from Richmond
19 Gold Coast
20 GWS
21 Western Bulldogs, from Geelong, traded from Carlton
22 Hawthorn
23 Port Adelaide
24 West Coast, from Geelong, traded from Western Bulldogs
25 Hawthorn, from Carlton, traded from Richmond, traded from Collingwood
26 Hawthorn, from North Melbourne
27 Fremantle
28 North Melbourne, from Hawthorn, traded from Carlton, traded from St Kilda
29 Western Bulldogs, from GWS, traded from Sydney
30 Collingwood, from Richmond, traded from Hawthorn
31 Port Adelaide
32 Essendon
33 Geelong, from Collingwood, traded from Richmond, traded from Hawthorn
34 Gold Coast, from Port Adelaide
35 Essendon
36 West Coast

ROUND TWO

37 Western Bulldogs, from GWS, traded from St Kilda
38 Richmond, from Collingwood, traded from Carlton
39 North Melbourne
40 Adelaide, from Fremantle
41 Brisbane
42 Geelong, from Carlton, traded from Melbourne
43 West Coast, from Adelaide
44 (was 45) Melbourne, from Hawthorn
45 (46) Port Adelaide
46 (47) Essendon
47 (48) West Coast
48 (49) Carlton, from Gold Coast

ROUND THREE

49 (50) Melbourne, from West Coast
50 (51) North Melbourne, from Hawthorn, traded from Melbourne, traded from Geelong
51 (52) North Melbourne, from Hawthorn, traded from Richmond
52 (53) Gold Coast
53 (54) West Coast, from St Kilda, traded from GWS
54 (55) North Melbourne, from Hawthorn, traded from Carlton
55 (56) Geelong, from Western Bulldogs
56 (57) Collingwood
57 (58) Brisbane
58 (59) Richmond, from Hawthorn, traded from Melbourne
59 (60) Fremantle, from Adelaide
60 (62) Richmond, from Hawthorn
61 (63) Port Adelaide
62 (64) Essendon

ROUND FOUR

63 (65) West Coast
64 (66) St Kilda
65 (68) GWS, from Richmond
66 (70) GWS
67 (71) Carlton
68 (72) Hawthorn, from North Melbourne, traded from Western Bulldogs
69 (73) Carlton, from Collingwood
70 (74) Western Bulldogs, from North Melbourne
71 (75) Adelaide, from Fremantle
72 (76) Brisbane
73 (77) West Coast, from Melbourne
74 (78) Adelaide
75 (80) Melbourne, from Hawthorn
76 (82) Essendon

ROUND FIVE

77 (83) West Coast
78 (84) St Kilda
79 (88) GWS
80 (89) Collingwood, from Carlton
81 (92) North Melbourne
82 (93) Fremantle
83 (95) Melbourne
84 (99) Port Adelaide

ROUND SIX
85 (102) St Kilda
86 (106) GWS

ROUND SEVEN
87 (120) St Kilda
88 (124) GWS

ROUND EIGHT
89 (142) GWS

If the league lifts the vaccine mandate, St Kilda would end up with one less pick for Patrikios. It's not clear what would happen with Adelaide and Varnhagen, but I wouldn't be surprised, given the lateness of it all, if they allowed Adelaide to make one less pick at the draft.

EDIT: Added a Melbourne pick for Colvin injury. Also removed mention of Tamara Smith as she's on the signings list on womens.afl so Hawthorn just have 22 players. I'm not sure why I was convinced they should have 23.

Last edited:

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We'll know for sure how many picks each club has on Saturday when the draft order is confirmed, I think the last day for delisting was before list lodgement 2 last Thursday, so now that the rookies are sorted they'll tally it all up and see what is going on. Still have father-daughter nominations to come today as well.

Below is what I've got for the draft order right now, if anyone's interested. Adjusted pick number on the left, old number in brackets. Using spoiler tags so people on mobiles don't have to scroll past the wall of text.

Hawthorn could wind up with one less pick if they confirm Smith pre-draft. If the league lifts the vaccine mandate, St Kilda would end up with one less pick for Patrikios. It's not clear what would happen with Adelaide and Varnhagen, but I wouldn't be surprised, given the lateness of it all, if they allowed Adelaide to make one less pick at the draft.

EDIT: Added a Melbourne pick for Colvin injury.
Thanks VS. That is quite a few more than the 80 picks mentioned around the traps but looks about right.

Vernhagen is officially inactive, due to pregnancy, so will be in the same boat as all the other nominated inactive players and be able to be replaced through the draft.

Final Draft Order
The final order is now out with 87 picks, unless clubs pass and look to recruit post draft

Yep, so they've got pick 49 at Melbourne in the full order but the club by club summary has pick 49 missing altogether. There's always an error 🤣

Here's my version:
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 18.19.33.png

Full draft orders for each state are in the spreadsheet embed in the sticky. And I'll do a draft night order as well and add all the names as we go :)

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
The final order is now out with 87 picks, unless clubs pass and look to recruit post draft
Did we figure out who Hawthorn's 23rd player is? I haven't been through to check, but I assume the differences between my order and their one is Hawthorn having one less pick and St Kilda still having Patrikios on the active list.

Did we figure out who Hawthorn's 23rd player is? I haven't been through to check, but I assume the differences between my order and their one is Hawthorn having one less pick and St Kilda still having Patrikios on the active list.
There's a sticky list in the Hawks thread and the Ins and Outs tab in the spreadsheet sticky - that's everyone I know of (and should be everyone full stop).

But there are always inconsistencies in what is reported and the total number of available spots, happens every year with the AFL as well so not just the AFLW being poorly communicated. That's why I don't update the draft order until they confirm it, it's too bloody hard to remove picks they shouldn't have and then add them back again after it turns out someone got quietly delisted or retired or whatever

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's a sticky list in the Hawks thread and the Ins and Outs tab in the spreadsheet sticky - that's everyone I know of (and should be everyone full stop).
I'm still counting only 22, though, which is the same number that was reported on womens.afl. That, plus Patrikios being listed as inactive is how I ended up at 89.

But there are always inconsistencies in what is reported and the total number of available spots, happens every year with the AFL as well so not just the AFLW being poorly communicated. That's why I don't update the draft order until they confirm it, it's too bloody hard to remove picks they shouldn't have and then add them back again after it turns out someone got quietly delisted or retired or whatever
That seems like the right call for what you're doing. I wish they'd just pass along the list lodgements. It'd make tracking things so much easier.

That seems like the right call for what you're doing. I wish they'd just pass along the list lodgements. It'd make tracking things so much easier.
That would be helpful for sure.

We do get official trades/signings but not delistings/retirements/inactives which is obviously the tricky part.

TheTassieHawk

Team Captain
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm still counting only 22, though, which is the same number that was reported on womens.afl. That, plus Patrikios being listed as inactive is how I ended up at 89.

It sounds like the hawks have signed an Irish player who hasn’t yet been officially announced - that was the explanation by Gemma Bastiani when I queried it on Twitter.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back