World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup (Round of 16) - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

Japan tops the group not without quite some controversy as the VAR allowed their second goal that looked to have crossed the line. If it was a draw Spain and Germany progress. I'm not unhappy that another team from Asia is through and a European powerhouse is it out, but VAR is supposed there to get things right.

You can't tell from that angle. The angle on the goal line shows a tiny portion of the ball was still on the line so it was the correct decision.

You can't tell from that angle. The angle on the goal line shows a tiny portion of the ball was still on the line so it was the correct decision.
1250f7wfxc3a1.jpg

Thank God my club have our own cup thread. If we want your kind of negativity we have the entire world media coverage thanks.
I prefer to frame this as a Disney movie in the making.
Loveable bunch of ragtag misfits whom no-one rated...even their own countrymen berated them, in order to stroke egos...(look at me! I know so much about this game...we don't have a hope etc.. )
And yet...
And YET!!!!

Dare To Dream.:soccerball::trophy:🌄💚💛💚
That's nice I guess.

But also there is reality. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Updated remaining teams via rank. 2 more to get removed later.

1. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
7. Spain
8. Netherlands
9. Portugal
12. Croatia
15. Switzerland
16. USA
18. Senegal
21. Serbia
22. Morocco
24. Japan
26. Poland
28. South Korea
38. Australia
43. Cameroon

It doesn't have to be clear and obvious. It's like offside.

Clear and obvious error applies to offside also.

The protocol for offside is that for subjective decisions such as player interference an on-field review is appropriate. For factual decisions including positions of players for offside, and ball out of play, a VAR-only review is usually appropriate. An on-field review can be used for a factual decision if it will help manage the players/match or ‘sell’ the decision (e.g. a crucial match-deciding decision late in the game).

So in this case it was a factual decision. It didn't get referred to an on-field review. Which was fair enough, I don't think the on-field ref could have added any value to the process. But for ball out of play VAR has less clarity of information than offside. Given that the original decision was a goal kick I don't think they had the evidence to show that it was a clear and obvious error.

Updated remaining teams via rank. Australia the lowest ranked side.

1. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
7. Spain
8. Netherlands
9. Portugal
12. Croatia
15. Switzerland
16. USA
18. Senegal
22. Morocco
24. Japan
26. Poland
28. South Korea
38. Australia

Updated remaining teams via rank. Australia the lowest ranked side.

1. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
7. Spain
8. Netherlands
9. Portugal
12. Croatia
15. Switzerland
16. USA
18. Senegal
22. Morocco
24. Japan
26. Poland
28. South Korea
38. Australia
Only 4 more wins to go

Updated remaining teams via rank. 2 more to get removed later.

1. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. France
5. England
7. Spain
8. Netherlands
9. Portugal
12. Croatia
15. Switzerland
16. USA
18. Senegal
21. Serbia