Autopsy 2022 Rd 10 Blues and heart surgeons rejoice. Carlton beat Swans

Who played well for the Blues in Round 10 vs the Swans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Me too. He's your classic borders on the line of giving away a 50 without quite getting there type of defender. Even when you beat him in a contest he holds you just long enough or lays on top of you/is "tangled up" just long enough so you can't take full advantage but never quite enough for 50.

Sh**s you off as an opposition fan but it helps your team massively.
A little SOS like you might say?

How good was Walsh, 16.5km. Back to his best.
As Cripps form the last 2 weeks as dipped/has played in the ruck Walsh's form has lifted exponentially.

Then Hewett keeps going about his business and Kennedy pops in for an impactful few minutes a few times a qtr.

A balanced midfield you could set your watch to :hearteyes:

Last edited:

Just checked and we fielded the 2nd youngest team out of all 18 clubs on the weekend at 24 years and 7 days. Only Adelaide were younger (23 years and 362 days). We shouldn't undersell how big of a win this is, especially given the 5 day break.

As Cripps form the last 2 weeks as dipped/has played in the ruck Walsh's form has lifted exponentially.

Then Hewett keeps going about his business and Kennedy pops in for an impactful few minutes a few times a qtr.

A balanced midfield you could set your watch to :hearteyes:

Cripps' individual form has dropped if you're looking at stats.

But the sacrifice he is making for our team is just huge. No doubt would've cruised his way to another 3 votes Friday night (loves Marvel) but is taking a battering in the ruck well out of his comfort zone; as well as directing all the traffic in there.

His leadership is off the charts atm.

But the sacrifice he is making for our team is just huge. No doubt would've cruised his way to another 3 votes Friday night (loves Marvel) but is taking a battering in the ruck well out of his comfort zone; as well as directing all the traffic in there.

Cripps marking seems to have dropped off now that we have less options in the air up forward.

Agree with this for last week, less so this week - He was still able to have an influence last week playing that role, but this week he didn't have the same influence and didn't really do much from the ruck compared to last week.

Was fantastic to have our defence tested like that under pressure. Those minutes when Sydney were coming at us constantly were invaluable. Swans gave it everything so to hold it together was brilliant. It cannot be over stated. It's actually better that we had to weather the storm than run away with the game. It's good for the players and great for Vossy.

Watching Cripps in some of those clearances was pure gold. He is so hard to stop when his tail is up. I was seeing 2-3 Sydney players give it everything to stop him and he just shrugs them all off in succession. It's GaGa sort of stuff. Georgey H as well, he stands up really well in a tackle and backs himself to ride it out and get a hand ball off. Really strong stuff. Reminds me of Daniel Kerr in his hey day. Has the confidence and core strength to let other's spread and await the dish off.

And Weeto? He's in some from now. BOG without question.

Next to the round 1 win this was probably the win of the season. Solid opposition, friday night focus with a short break thrown in. It was there to lose so to come away with the points was outstanding.

On top of all that to hear the blues in premiership conversations throughout the media is utterly surreal. Roll on Baggers.

Was fantastic to have our defence tested like that under pressure. Those minutes when Sydney were coming at us constantly were invaluable. Swans gave it everything so to hold it together was brilliant. It cannot be over stated. It's actually better that we had to weather the storm than run away with the game. It's good for the players and great for Vossy.

Watching Cripps in some of those clearances was pure gold. He is so hard to stop when his tail is up. I was seeing 2-3 Sydney players give it everything to stop him and he just shrugs them all off in succession. It's GaGa sort of stuff. Georgey H as well, he stands up really well in a tackle and backs himself to ride it out and get a hand ball off. Really strong stuff. Reminds me of Daniel Kerr in his hey day. Has the confidence and core strength to let other's spread and await the dish off.

And Weeto? He's in some from now. BOG without question.

Next to the round 1 win this was probably the win of the season. Solid opposition, friday night focus with a short break thrown in. It was there to lose so to come away with the points was outstanding.

On top of all that to hear the blues in premiership conversations throughout the media is utterly surreal. Roll on Baggers.
To be fair to our boys. We made Sydney look good. We let them back in. It wasnt a case of them suddenly getting on top with superior football.
Some fumbles to give the ball up more than anything and was more a messy and riding good fortune kind of comeback for them than a rampage of any kind.

And I thought last week's win against GWS was good. Man - this is HUGE for us.

Quick thoughts:

Sam Walsh - take a bow. Sky is the limit for this young man. Wills himself from contest to contest, and everywhere in between. The only Blues I have seen do the same thing (in my lifetime) would be Judd and Kade Simpson. He is entrenched in this bracket for mine.

Weiters - hands down the best defender in the competition. If the opposition kicks long on the rebound I can just about pick the ball will be spoiled or he will outmark his opponent... Phenomenally good.

Charlie - gotta say, I didn't know what this year would hold for him. He has exceeded all of my expectations from him. He should be so proud, you can see the confidence building game by game. Prince Charles has returned.

Our midfield - they just work for each other. Cripps, Walsh, Hewett (how good is this guy???), Cerra, Kennedy. Hell, even Cotts and O'Brien had moments. But they WORK THEIR GUTS OUT. It is so so great to watch.

A moment for me that stands out - when Doc was taken out by Kennedy, Stocker (surprise) remonstrated and got into a scuffle with Warner. Lewis Young came straight over to get involved too. You can bloody see that we are a united club, even from the new fellas, and it just about brings a tear to a grown man's eye. Fantastic stuff.

It's very hard not to think about what this year, and the next few years hold for us. Clearly we will be playing in September this year, but what the future holds is even more exciting.

Go baggers.

To be fair to our boys. We made Sydney look good. We let them back in. It wasnt a case of them suddenly getting on top with superior football.
Some fumbles to give the ball up more than anything and was more a messy and riding good fortune kind of comeback for them than a rampage of any kind.

thats certainly one way to look at things, same as the swans could say they played really s**t the 2nd qtr and outplayed (and won) the other 3 quarters.

they were the better side the 2nd half, and fair play to them, showed real grit and character (but thats the norm for the swans). We showed alot of grit to hold them off and get the crucial goal to kill the game off

I wonder how much of that had do with us having a 5 day break from an interstate trip and bouts of virus through the club.

Would've been a few sore and underdone bodies in that game, it's not surprising we faded out. You could tell by the way we played, everything was straight lines. Long down the line, no attempts to switch or run the ball. That's the sign of a tired side - inability to spread.

No doubt they also lifted, taking nothing away from them. Just saying it was a combination of them coming out hot and us fading. If you remember we actually matched their lift in intensity for half the 3rd qtr, we kicked a couple of goals back, then the pinch came and we slowed down noticeably.

What's impressive is we still had the mettle to hold up defensively for long enough despite the fatigue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposition are now putting more effort into him as well.

There was a bounce on Friday on the wing and Mills (I think) ran straight at Cripps, basically to block. It's a tactic that's used, run straight at said player and turn at the last second to face the ball. Cripps grabbed him and fell backwards to try and get the free, it didn't work.

This happened at least 8 other times for the day. We (Hewett) will have to watch this and correct accordingly, as it affected at least 3 direct take aways from ball ups.

A moving Cripps it pretty much unstoppable once he grabs the ball, opposition teams are starting to work that out and block him accordingly...

Some have questioned how well the crowd supported the boys - I think the volume and emotion just didn't come across well in the broadcast. I could hardly hear the siren sound, and there's a few examples of players not being able to hear the umpire call and whistle (e.g. Heeney not hearing play on in the last quarter).

Watching the replay I could see why some people felt it was quiet. Yes chants were hard to maintain, but during key passages of play, momentum changes, and almost the whole of Q4 it was a cauldron of sound.

I still don't have my voice back.

Interested to hear an L3 perspective, as I was on L1.

Weeto didn't let them back in.
I wonder how much of that had do with us having a 5 day break from an interstate trip and bouts of virus through the club.

Would've been a few sore and underdone bodies in that game, it's not surprising we faded out. You could tell by the way we played, everything was straight lines. Long down the line, no attempts to switch or run the ball. That's the sign of a tired side - inability to spread.

No doubt they also lifted, taking nothing away from them. Just saying it was a combination of them coming out hot and us fading. If you remember we actually matched their lift in intensity for half the 3rd qtr, we kicked a couple of goals back, then the pinch came and we slowed down noticeably.

What's impressive is we still had the mettle to hold up defensively for long enough despite the fatigue.
yep and yep.
However we did it.? it worked. We had some average patches late. They're gonna come. And coaches are aware of this. And it's limiting these 'average' periods that count the most. It's Charlie kicking goals and forward pressure as much as it is managing opposition run ons and periods of half assed decision making from us.

What a win off of a 5 day break, that was some serious stuff Friday night.
Don't underestimate just how tired the boys were in the 2nd half. we dominated the first half and if not for 3 posters and Sydney kicking 7 straight it should have been over 50 points at the main break. Young side on the park, ran out of legs. But we held on, defence and effort was huge in the 2nd half.

That 2nd qtr was something else, watched the replay last night of the first half, live at the ground I was bamboozled as to what was actually going on I was shellshocked. On replay the tackling pressure, ball movement and hunger of the team was off the charts, better than how it looked live...no wonder they were spent.

Get us to round 15 and get Pitto and Harry back in the side and if we can be 11-4 or 10-5 at worst then look out.

it's a free hit in 2022, no one expected us to do much and if you can ride that carefree emotion into the backhalf of the year you make a few of the more advanced sides nervous and anything can happen.

"Sky is the limit for this young man (Walsh). Wills himself from contest to contest, and everywhere in between. The only Blues I have seen do the same thing (in my lifetime) would be Judd and Kade Simpson".

In my era it was Craig Bradley who ran others, and himself, into the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I’ve had the 2nd and the 4th quarter on repeat all weekend!! Absolute brilliant game. Charlie, Walshy and Weiters best on. TDK, after playing one of his best games for the club against the crows, played his best game for the club again! This was a club wide effort! Credit to Sayers for managing to bring in the right people and stumbling across vossy because this has been a match made in heaven. Voss is coach of the year by a mile. He’s got this group humming and improving week by week. We’ve had some tough injuries throughout the year and to see him get this group up week by week and playing to their potential is a sight to behold.
Bring on the filth.

Coaches' Votes

9 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
8 - Jacob Weitering (CARL)
7 - Sam Walsh (CARL)
4 - George Hewett (CARL)
1 -
Luke Parker (SYD)
1 - Sam Docherty (CARL)

Well said. AA captaincy beckons.

And I thought last week's win against GWS was good. Man - this is HUGE for us.

Quick thoughts:

Sam Walsh - take a bow. Sky is the limit for this young man. Wills himself from contest to contest, and everywhere in between. The only Blues I have seen do the same thing (in my lifetime) would be Judd and Kade Simpson. He is entrenched in this bracket for mine.

Weiters - hands down the best defender in the competition. If the opposition kicks long on the rebound I can just about pick the ball will be spoiled or he will outmark his opponent... Phenomenally good.

Charlie - gotta say, I didn't know what this year would hold for him. He has exceeded all of my expectations from him. He should be so proud, you can see the confidence building game by game. Prince Charles has returned.

Our midfield - they just work for each other. Cripps, Walsh, Hewett (how good is this guy???), Cerra, Kennedy. Hell, even Cotts and O'Brien had moments. But they WORK THEIR GUTS OUT. It is so so great to watch.

A moment for me that stands out - when Doc was taken out by Kennedy, Stocker (surprise) remonstrated and got into a scuffle with Warner. Lewis Young came straight over to get involved too. You can bloody see that we are a united club, even from the new fellas, and it just about brings a tear to a grown man's eye. Fantastic stuff.

It's very hard not to think about what this year, and the next few years hold for us. Clearly we will be playing in September this year, but what the future holds is even more exciting.

Go baggers.
just on that scuffle, saad went to remonstrate with kennedy but quickly saw he was injured and left it at that - difficult one when the attacker is winged

Back