2022 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it me or does this tour feel closer than that top 10 indicates?
It feels close because we had 1 & 2 duking it out until the last day.

It was always a race between those two.

The fact that fourth to tenth changed hands as they scrambled to pick up.the pieces of a blistering Pog or Vinge attack every day probably also helped it feel closer than it was.

It's a poor result but unforgiveable? That's OTT.

I think a break tonight is better for Schultz in any case. With the right mix in there he could get his GC placing into the 20's.

Unforgiveable because stage 16 was easier than stage 17 and stage 18 - And stage 16 was the one more likely to go to the break.

I think Formolo is retiring and wanted to have the Giro as his last GT

Formolo is young and nowhere near retirement. He's riding the Tour of Poland in nine days.

Its gonna be a debate for a while to come. Schleck V Cadel was pretty good but no where near aggressive racing as we had here. It's taken a monster team effort to topple the Pog and much credit to JV, they have been dominate in so many stage races this year. I doubt whether he can back up for the Veulta after this.

Amazing tour. Jumbo copped a lot of heat for their tactics early on but they’ve dominated the race and will leave with the 3 jerseys. Jonas a very worthy winner. Pogacar is amazing to watch for fans, but he might need to rethink how he approaches the race next year now he’s got a genuine rival. He wasted a lot of energy early in the race.

WVA has to be the most complete rider in the world. That vision of him dropping the defending champ will be shown for a long time. Hopefully he picks up another stage so the records show how much he dominated this race.

WVA could genuininely lead a team and win all 3 jerseys. When has a sprinter ever dropped a climber like Pog in week 3?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Wout could get to a point that he climbs with the elite guys consistently. Could he get to a point where he’s one of the last 10 or so in the lead group, and even win some stages from there? Sure. But grand tours require 3 weeks of being there at the end of every single climb with the best pure climbers in the world and I don’t think he could do that.

He’s the best cyclist in the world right now doing what he does. No need to change. He’ll win as many green jerseys as he wants and will win plenty more stages. The only thing a completely free role would allow is he’d probably win a few KOM’s as well.

Not to mention he goes into just about any one day race he enters as the favourite.

I don’t think Wout could get to a point that he climbs with the elite guys consistently. Could he get to a point where he’s one of the last 10 or so in the lead group, and even win some stages from there? Sure. But grand tours require 3 weeks of being there at the end of every single climb with the best pure climbers in the world and I don’t think he could do that.

He’s the best cyclist in the world right now doing what he does. No need to change. He’ll win as many green jerseys as he wants and will win plenty more stages. The only thing a completely free role would allow is he’d probably win a few KOM’s as well.

Not to mention he goes into just about any one day race he enters as the favourite.
I don't think he has to ride with the likes of Pog & Vingegaard to win the tour.

For Wout to win the tour, he needs to take big time on an intermediate stage in the first week and defend that lead for two weeks. If he can get a teammate like Geraint Thomas and just sit on his wheel for the big mountain climbs he'll be able to limit the damage that the big dogs can do to him, and mitigate that damage on the descents.

It's a completely different strategy, and i'd love to see it.

Imagine a tour where we have Pogacar and Vingegaard duking it out in the Alps for second and third place, only they can't shake Wout out of the yellow and he's still got 5 minutes on them both by the time they hit the Pyrenees.

Phwoar.

I don't think he has to ride with the likes of Pog & Vingegaard to win the tour.

For Wout to win the tour, he needs to take big time on an intermediate stage in the first week and defend that lead for two weeks. If he can get a teammate like Geraint Thomas and just sit on his wheel for the big mountain climbs he'll be able to limit the damage that the big dogs can do to him, and mitigate that damage on the descents.

It's a completely different strategy, and i'd love to see it.

Imagine a tour where we have Pogacar and Vingegaard duking it out in the Alps for second and third place, only they can't shake Wout out of the yellow and he's still got 5 minutes on them both by the time they hit the Pyrenees.

Phwoar.
Wout would need to train differently and have a different body shape just to be competitive enough in the mountains. He wouldn’t be the same rider he is now on flat or hilly stages.

The other problem is if he was riding for GC, the other teams won’t let him go up the road in breaks anymore. Other riders in the break wouldn’t even work with him if he was any sort of GC threat.

Wout would need to train differently and have a different body shape just to be competitive enough in the mountains. He wouldn’t be the same rider he is now on flat or hilly stages.

The other problem is if he was riding for GC, the other teams won’t let him go up the road in breaks anymore. Other riders in the break wouldn’t even work with him if he was any sort of GC threat.
Yeah it's a plan that would only work once. It would have to be planned like a heist, where he gets the jump before the GC guys even realise he's their competition.

It won't happen, but * it would be cool if it did.

Yeah it's a plan that would only work once. It would have to be planned like a heist, where he gets the jump before the GC guys even realise he's their competition.

It won't happen, but * it would be cool if it did.
I guess the closest to what you describe was Alaphillipe's assault on the 2019 Tour, where he only lost the Golden Fleece in the last few stages of the race.

On SM-A5360 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was wondering why Wout was doing all the work in the last 10km, should’ve realised they were setting it up to let Laporte have his turn. He’s been so strong all tour.

JV get the GC, green, KOM and 3 different stage winners. Unbelievable given after a week they’d basically lost their co-leader and were being hammered by everyone for their tactics.

Holy fork Jonas nearly lost it on that corner. No need to take that risk

Vin just about threw away 3 weeks of effort trying to win the TT off his tm8 lol. I imagine the radio messages after that were very blunt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back