2022 Tour de France

Remove this Banner Ad

So WVA has the green jersey virtually locked (196 point lead over Pogacar in second, a max of 290 points left) if he stays upright for the rest of Le Tour.
KOM is interesting, with 111 points left in the classification it really could be anybodies game. Of the top 10 I'd expect guys like Ciccone, Latour, Geschke, Perez and Froome to be allowed in any break, as the others are probably too high up in GC to be let go.

Still incredibly disappointed that stage 19 is a flat stage

So WVA has the green jersey virtually locked (196 point lead over Pogacar in second, a max of 290 points left) if he stays upright for the rest of Le Tour.
KOM is interesting, with 111 points left in the classification it really could be anybodies game. Of the top 10 I'd expect guys like Ciccone, Latour, Geschke, Perez and Froome to be allowed in any break, as the others are probably too high up in GC to be let go.

I want to see WVA move to a team where he is the number 1 banana, and see if he can win the whole shebang.

If he didn't waste his time and energy riding off the front chasing stages and powering his GC rider up the first part of climbs/dragging them back on the downhill, I reckon he could.

I want to see WVA move to a team where he is the number 1 banana, and see if he can win the whole shebang.

If he didn't waste his time and energy riding off the front chasing stages and powering his GC rider up the first part of climbs/dragging them back on the downhill, I reckon he could.
Nah, he can't. He doesn't have the ability to match them consistently over high peaks. Plus I wouldn't want him to, far too entertaining a rider to do so

Genuine question, who from this peloton has his bike handling skills on a descent? Bardet, maybe? That's it.

There are a couple not at the TDF - Alaphilippe is high quality as is Nibali - Mohoric who is at the TDF is a good descender - Pidcock's descending is a thing of beauty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What - It's been slim pickings at the TDF - There has been a total of 3 sprint stages so there should no complaints about stage 19.

Nah, he can't. He doesn't have the ability to match them consistently over high peaks. Plus I wouldn't want him to, far too entertaining a rider to do so
He couldn't win it the way vingegaard is looking to win it. He would have to treat the big mountain stages as damage limitation stages.

But, he can ride away from the peleton like almost nobody else. If he can do that in week 1 and get 5 minutes advantage, I reckon he could hold/stay close enough to steal it in the final TT. Especially if he had one of those perennial top 5 but not good enough riders (like a Bardet/Quintana) to pace him up the climbs.

Will wout care? Surely he's too far in front to bother with Intermediate sprints now.
He'll just roll over and get a few points each time.

An unforgiveable performance by BEX to miss the break - And then instead of having one rider trying to bridge a minute to the break, you put the whole team to bridge the break - I'm watching Schultz ride well in the GC Group - Bex get him into the break and he goes close to winning the stage.

An unforgiveable performance by BEX to miss the break - And then instead of having one rider trying to bridge a minute to the break, you put the whole team to bridge the break - I'm watching Schultz ride well in the GC Group - Bex get him into the break and he goes close to winning the stage.
It's a poor result but unforgiveable? That's OTT.

I think a break tonight is better for Schultz in any case. With the right mix in there he could get his GC placing into the 20's.

Stage played out well for Jumbo. 2 in the break was a surprise but for defending this stage profile it worked out very well. The Majka mechanical was at a bad time and Sep Kuss made sure of it. I think the UAE team selection has cost them more here than Covid/illness, McNulty is not up to TDF level and Hirschi and Bjerg have been fairly useless. Barring disaster all Jonas does is defend to Paris and he hasn't looked like cracking yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back