List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Key Dates:

Friday 07 October at 5.00pm

Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.

Monday 10 October
NAB AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)

Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections

Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences

Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes

Friday 11 November at 9.00am

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences

Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
AFL Trade Period closes – selections only

Monday 21 November by 3.00pm

NAB AFL Draft Nominations close

Monday 28 November at 7.10pm

2022 NAB AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)

Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.

Tuesday 29 November

AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)

2022 NAB AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)

Wednesday 30 November

NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
NAB AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)

Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm

Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Last edited:
On the flip side plenty of clubs (including us) have bombed out by topping up on too much mature talent that isn’t particularly talented. We don’t need to be going after mature players just for the sake of it, we don’t want to end up with another too many limited footballers that clog the list.

It’s a delicate balancing act, but I’d argue that at this stage of the rebuild the draft still needs to be a huge priority.
You don’t want to become what St Kilda currently is? 😂

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey
Jake Lever dat you?

Do we need to?

Logue, Tucker, Bowes and Clark potentially coming in.

Pick 1, Pick 7 and Harvey at the draft.

Where does that leave us with list positions?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Cadman (1), Busslinger (7), Harvey, Logue, Tucker, Bowes and Clark would be an insane outcome.

2024 line up would look something like..

McDonald McKay Busslinger
Clark Logue Goater
Bowes JHF Thomas
Curtis Comben Zurhaar
Harvey Larkey Cadman

Xerri Simpkin LDU

Phillips Cunners Powell Stephenson Corr Scott Taylor Tucker CCJ Edwards Archer Dawson, etc

Last edited:

The way trades are predefined in/by the AFL, this may well have been planned to be part of the assistance package to begin with knowing the salary situations of each club.

Kind of like how Geelong got a great deal on Motlop to get Ablett from GC.

A 2nd and third rounder don’t look like much. But make that Logue, Bowes AND pick 7 - then that’s a fair assistance package.

Why are GC trying to offload Bowes so much? I know it's for cap space, but I always thought he was a handy player.

Must be bad for the young bloke's esteem if he knows that clubs are mainly interested in him for the pick 7.
I’m more interested in the player tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are GC trying to offload Bowes so much? I know it's for cap space, but I always thought he was a handy player.

Must be bad for the young bloke's esteem if he knows that clubs are mainly interested in him for the pick 7.
850k for each of the next 2 years.
6% of the total cap and he has been playing VFL for them.

If we need to give Bowes a year or 2 extra to get him to pick us over the list of clubs, we should.

Pay him what he is owed the next two years (don't touch that) and add a year or two at 400ish a year to show him we want him and not just the pick. Sell him on a role and give him a commitment (longer contract).

Would be a killer trade period for us
I still think we get 5 senior player + 3 draftees.
If we don't get a second pick before Cooper I can see us getting a mature age player with our last pick.
Potentially
2 x 18 years olds (pick 1 and Cooper)
6 x mature bodies.(Logue, Tucker, Clark, Bowes, a DFA and a VFL KPF)
Best guess.

The problem with the Bowes deal is he has the final say ala MCPHERSON last year.
If he wants the Cats or anyone else he will get there it’s sadly that simple, you can’t force a player to go where they don’t want to go.
This is going to be the sticking point for us, does adding a year extra to a contract get him over the line or is he even worth an extra year or if he is do we do a 4yr and then at what cost.
Surely we wouldn’t be able to throw another $850 large at him but I wouldn’t think the Cats would either to get him in the door.

The problem with the Bowes deal is he has the final say ala MCPHERSON last year.
If he wants the Cats or anyone else he will get there it’s sadly that simple, you can’t force a player to go where they don’t want to go.
This is going to be the sticking point for us, does adding a year extra to a contract get him over the line or is he even worth an extra year or if he is do we do a 4yr and then at what cost.
Surely we wouldn’t be able to throw another $850 large at him but I wouldn’t think the Cats would either to get him in the door.
Most clubs will be looking to smooth out his contract over a 4 year deal I would think.
We may not have to do that.
850,850,500,500 may appeal to him.
He has been ripped of the last 2 years with his pay by GC.
I reckon having his current deal paid out in full would work in our favour.

I still think we get 5 senior player + 3 draftees.
If we don't get a second pick before Cooper I can see us getting a mature age player with our last pick.
Potentially
2 x 18 years olds (pick 1 and Cooper)
6 x mature bodies.(Logue, Tucker, Clark, Bowes, a DFA and a VFL KPF)
Best guess.
Yeah there's gotta be some good vfl equilivent players out there. Let's have 1 year where we don't bring in a majority of 18yr olds.

Am I only one that thinks Pick 7 is unders for $1.7m in salary? I mean if you were trading for a contracted player who you were paying $850k p.a, you’d logically expect to pay 2x 1sts and get a 2nd back, I struggle to see why the reverse doesn’t apply here.

Why are we giving them a future 2nd? If we are giving up pick ~20 too, I’d suggest we ask for a future 1st in addition. Otherwise it’s not really pick 7, it’s pick 13.5. Ie: theft.

Some excellent trading ideas being brought to the table but I feel like we should be prioritising next years draft.
So yes, with 4D Chess in mind, we ought to use the following as the official Royal blue print;

Priority Picks: 20 + 38 (2023) assuming 18th placed finish.

Trade:

2023 R2(20),R3,R4,R5, Mahony > Suns >7,25,34,43,51,Bowes,2023 R1

7 > GWS > 12, 2023 R1 + R2

43,51 > Bris > 2023 R2

2023 R2 > Saints > Clark

34,2023 R3(38)> Freo >Logue,Tucker

Draft: 1,12,25,55,66,73
1. Cadman
12. Hollands
25. Cowan
~40. Harvey
~73. Mankura

Arriving at next years draft with 3 cracks at the first round (would love a couple of Reid, Curtain, Watson, Moir, Zuursma) and some coverage for likely 2nd Rounders in McKercher, Sanders, Pickett Jr (Paddy Ryder Clone).

Who was the last team to jump out of the bottom 4 because of the 18 year olds they drafted?
Trading in ready made players is what we need.
If we get pick 7 it should help us get another decent ready to go player and probably a bit of change.

Collingwood! Didn't they only acquire Daicos and went second last to prelim!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Am I only one that thinks Pick 7 is unders for $1.7m in salary? I mean if you were trading for a contracted player who you were paying $850k p.a, you’d logically expect to pay 2x 1sts and get a 2nd back, I struggle to see why the reverse doesn’t apply here.

Why are we giving them a future 2nd? If we are giving up pick ~20 too, I’d suggest we ask for a future 1st in addition. Otherwise it’s not really pick 7, it’s pick 13.5. Ie: theft.

Some excellent trading ideas being brought to the table but I feel like we should be prioritising next years draft.
So yes, with 4D Chess in mind, we ought to use the following as the official Royal blue print;

Priority Picks: 20 + 38 (2023) assuming 18th placed finish.

Trade:

2023 R2(20),R3,R4,R5, Mahony > Suns >7,25,34,43,51,Bowes,2023 R1

7 > GWS > 12, 2023 R1 + R2

43,51 > Bris > 2023 R2

2023 R2 > Saints > Clark

34,2023 R3(38)> Freo >Logue,Tucker

Draft: 1,12,25,55,66,73
1. Cadman
12. Hollands
25. Cowan
~40. Harvey
~73. Mankura

Arriving at next years draft with 3 cracks at the first round (would love a couple of Reid, Curtain, Watson, Moir, Zuursma) and some coverage for likely 2nd Rounders in McKercher, Sanders, Pickett Jr (Paddy Ryder Clone).
Unfortunately I think our chance at multiple firsts ended when we decided not to trade pick 1 last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back