List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if we could entice Short to come over especially if the Tigers have a rocky year.
Could see it happen, we’d have far more cap space than them. Missed finals this year and They should be on the further decline from 2023

Jayden Short would be perfect for us as a free agent in that hall role going forward

Last edited:
I wonder if we could entice Short to come over especially if the Tigers have a rocky year.
Good man he went to my high school and through the knights, but I think we have so many competitors for Halls spot

Last edited:

Good man he went to my high school and through the knights, but I think we have so many competitors for Halls spot
Short has really come of age over the last 2 seasons. If we can grab a couple of players like his ilk instead of throwing a wad of cash at a player like Moore would put us in a better position i reckon.

If you're looking at this list for elite defensive stock who ALSO have a decent likelihood of playing for us for five years, there aren't really THAT many options, are there?

Darcy Moore, Bailey Dale, Jayden Short...

Am I missing anyone?

(I've excluded Daniel but others probably disagree)

If you're looking at this list for elite defensive stock who ALSO have a decent likelihood of playing for us for five years, there aren't really THAT many options, are there?

Am I missing anyone?

James Sicily
Alex Pearce
Brayden Maynard

Am I missing anyone?

If we want to predict this, I'd be thinking a little bit out of the box on this one.

Did anyone expect CCJ to be brought in as our KPF/R 12 months ago?

I'd be looking at any u24 KPP at other clubs that can play at either end, who hasn't established themselves as best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think its best we give up on making Godfather offers.

We now have a talented midfield and as these guys mature, we will need all the spare cash we have to make sure they are not poached.

A few years ago, when we were making huge offers to Martin Gaff and Kelly, we did not have the talent coming through, like we have now.

Not saying we dont go after free agent, if it fills a need...eg. Corr.

I am just saying lets not lock ourselves into a 10 year $1M a year Godfather offer, because it might come back and bite us on the @rse.

We now have a talented midfield and as these guys mature, we will need all the spare cash we have to make sure they are not poached.

A few years ago, when we were making huge offers to Martin Gaff and Kelly, we did not have the talent coming through, like we have now.

I am just saying lets not lock ourselves into a 10 year $1M a year Godfather offer, because it might come back and bite us on the @rse.

Agree. Historically (modern era) it's almost never bore fruit. And we're not Sydney or Gold Coast who the AFL would probably allow to fudge the books a bit to blot out a long term contract (or at least massage it off the official books) that became an anchor.

Correct.

"Build it & they will come".

We have had some quality young players choose to come to North in the last 2 years, despite finishing 17th & 18th.

I'm guessing we will be able to attract even more quality once we start climbing the ladder with one of the best midfield groups in the comp.

We shouldn't need to overpay.

Well if that News Corp roundup of the highest paid AFL players in 2021 was on the money, it would take a serious Corleone effort to make Moore a better offer than what he's already on: about $825,000 a year.

Sicily's also reportedly on a decent wicket at $750,000.

Short doesn't feature at all in the Top 100, which if true, mean he's on less than $575k. Surely the Arden St accountants could do something with that?

In 3-4 years we'll have the best midfield in the comp. I don't want to lose that because we offered darcy Moore or God forbid another polec 1+ mil a year and we've got no cap.

Well I for one wouldn't wince at the prospect of offering Jayden Short $700k average per season for four years to bolster our ageing half-back line.

Well I for one wouldn't wince at the prospect of offering Jayden Short $700k average per season for four years to bolster our ageing half-back line.

I've read this about a dozen times in this thread.

I mean, we just recruited 3 x medium defenders in Goater, Bergman and Archer.

Then there's McDonald, Perez, Bonar, P.Walker, Hayden, Young and Atu.

When you add Hall and Ziebell, thats about 30% of our list who are medium defenders next year.

At some point you have to back the investment.

I will flip if we go after a half back on serious coin $$$.

This.

We have been s**t for far too long and it's easy to forget. But sides will be coming after our players for the first time in about 2 decades in the very near future.

The likes of Thomas, JHF, Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Powell, McKay, Larkey are all going to demand serious dollars in the future.

I, like you, think the time for $1m+ mercenaries is probably over. We now have an attractive list that if we went after someone like Moore, it has to be the same money as every other club is offering to pry him out, there's no longer any North tax to jump down the food chain. Our selling point now is we close to the strongest collection of young players in the league.

We are going to need every cent we have within the next 3 years.

I think going after B grade types to fill in the list will be the way to go, similar to what the Dogs did with Keath. Players will play for unders if its a genuine chance of success.

Last edited:
I've read this about a dozen times in this thread.

I mean, we just recruited 3 x medium defenders in Goater, Bergman and Archer.

Then there's McDonald, Perez, Bonar, P.Walker, Hayden, Young and Atu.

When you add Hall and Ziebell, thats about 30% of our list who are medium defenders next year.

At some point you have to back the investment.

I will flip if we go after a half back on serious coin $$$.

This.

We have been sh*t for far too long and it's easy to forget. But sides will be coming after our players for the first time in about 2 decades in the very near future.

The likes of Thomas, JHF, Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Powell, McKay, Larkey are all going to demand serious dollars in the future.

I, like you, think the time for $1m+ mercenaries is probably over. We now have an attractive list that if we went after someone like Moore, it has to be the same money as every other club is offering to pry him out, there's no longer any North tax to jump down the food chain.

We are going to need every cent we have within the next 3 years.

I think going after B grade types to fill in the list will be the way to go, similar to what the Dogs did with Keath. Players will play for unders if its a genuine chance of success.
Yep. We are actually in a good position because we don't have to throw around big money.
Its a really good thing for the club. Set a pay structure that all our young blokes accept and don't pay over it for any big name recruit.
It is literally the only way we keep all our guns through there prime.
Bringing someone in as the highest paid player at the club is dangerous IMO.

This $1m+ argument that keeps on being brought up is a bit of a strawman.

Is anyone actually proposing $1m+ offers? By contrast, $700k would be comparable to what Ziebell is on... and would still not be anywhere near what Darcy Moore is currently getting paid.

Hall is 31. Ziebell will be 31 when the next season starts.

I'm open minded to the possibility that Perez et al will impress this year but time is running out to bring the defence up to speed with where the rest of our ground is at. The equilibrium between where our defensive talent is tracking is out of whack with the great progress elsewhere on the ground.

So a serious investment in one proven elite KPD and one proven elite rebounding defender in the prime of their careers shouldn't be dismissed out of hand just because we all want our kids to have every opportunity to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back