List Mgmt. 2022 Trade & List Management Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Perhaps, but suggesting we shouldnt look at King because he have a 1 gamer with a broken collarbone isnt realistic. If we want king and king wants us, you would 100% make that happen. Having 2 kids on the list that are tall and have played forward does not mean we have that area covered. It means we have two developing players who may not make it, and probably 100% not to the level of King. As for the others demanding a pay rise, important we start winning games before coming out cap in hand. Having a player like King or of similar ilk helps that
Hypothetically if we got king tomorrow where does he play?
Does he kick larkey out?
Does he stop CCJ from taking the forward/ruck duties?
Do we play 3 tall forwards?
Does he push the likes of Stevo, TT or JHF out of a medium forward spot?

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does he kick larkey out?

Horses for courses, but I suspect the bolded would be the outcome in the first instance. He's not going to force Larkey out.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
We will need the kitchen sink ourselves over the next few years. With Comben, CCJ, Edwards and Larkey coming through, not sure if going after King is the right move unless we off load Larkey or Comben. I would rather we chase Moore, biggest need.

I know what you're saying but we will have retirements etc over the next few years and you'd have to think the club is being creative with current cap space.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Horses for courses, but I suspect the bolded would be the outcome in the first instance. He's not going to force Larkey out.
So our need for goldy to have sufficient backup and train someone in the position when he eventually retires isn't met?
See where I'm going here? OBviously King in any side is a bonus but there's that much competition for spots in the side now that another addition to the team might be a detriment vs a positive.

If Sam Taylor is out of contract at the end of the year we throw the kitchen sink at him. He would make a much bigger difference to the current team than King. He's not just an upgrade: he would turn our biggest weakness into a strength.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does he kick larkey out?
You cannot be serious, we won a wooden spoon, we could fit King in to the 22. Play him on Dumonts wing for all I care. He plays every week, in fact would be one of the first picked. Come on

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You cannot be serious, we won a wooden spoon, we could fit King in to the 22. Play him on Dumonts wing for all I care. He plays every week, in fact would be one of the first picked. Come on
Haha I get your point.
Was just asking where he fits

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just relax on the KPD speculation, trust the process because there’s something big brewing for us in 2023…

I’ll give you a hint it starts with the letter J..
Oh * this 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People don’t seem to realise that free agents always cost more than home grown talent. If you’re going out and giving a big contract to a guy it’d better be an area of need, not some frivolity. No question Ben King walks into our 22, but that doesn’t mean the money and logistics required to orchestrate that situation are worth it.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People don’t seem to realise that free agents always cost more than home grown talent. If you’re going out and giving a big contract to a guy it’d better be an area of need, not some frivolity. No question Ben King walks into our 22, but that doesn’t mean the money and logistics required to orchestrate that situation are worth it.
Firstly people DO realise it and recognise it is a viable and effective way to improve the list. Secondly, he is 21 so not a free agent. He would be a trade. One Id happily trade a couple prized 1st rounders for. Thirdly, Edwards and Comben are toothpicks yet to play any meaningful footy and may never do so. So a target like King isnt frivolous, its actually the direct opposite. And recruiting a KPD and gun forward isnt mutually exclusive. Someone wrote the other day we shouldnt recruit Jayden Short because we have a plethora of small to mid sized defenders. Unfortunately they arent as good as Short, which is my point and still just as relevant for King vs Comben or Edwards

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Firstly people DO realise it and recognise it is a viable and effective way to improve the list. Secondly, he is 21 so not a free agent. He would be a trade. One Id happily trade a couple prized 1st rounders for. Thirdly, Edwards and Comben are toothpicks yet to play any meaningful footy and may never do so. So a target like King isnt frivolous, its actually the direct opposite. And recruiting a KPD and gun forward isnt mutually exclusive. Someone wrote the other day we shouldnt recruit Jayden Short because we have a plethora of small to mid sized defenders. Unfortunately they arent as good as Short, which is my point and still just as relevant for King vs Comben or Edwards

I can get the counterargument against Short as far as you target mature players for specific needs if you're short (ahem) in an area, in contention or they provide some extra level of leadership or presence you don't have (eg Hodge). For instance when we were in the hunt for Tuohy circa 2018 it made no sense to me, I didn't think he fitted our development cycle or would bring any intangibles we needed.

But Ben King is another matter entirely. If you have a chance of landing an elite young talent in any position you take a serious look at it. If we can work our way up to mid-ladder in the next 2 seasons then our 1st rounder(s) become expendable for the right price. Like Ben King.

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can get the counterargument against Short as far as you target mature players for specific needs if you're short (ahem) in an area, in contention or they provide some extra level of leadership or presence you don't have (eg Hodge). For instance when we were in the hunt for Tuohy circa 2018 it made no sense to me, I didn't think he fitted our development cycle or would bring any intangibles we needed.

But Ben King is another matter entirely. If you have a chance of landing an elite young talent in any position you take a serious look at it. If we can work our way up to mid-ladder in the next 2 seasons then our 1st rounder(s) become expendable for the right price. Like Ben King.

It's going to take more than a first rounder to get King. Throw in a top 6 first rounder and potentially a player. I just dont think he's worth it at this point considering the young KPF's on our list.

Better to wait 2 years and see how Comben, CCJ, Edwards and Larkey turn out and then swoop as a FA if needed. Right now I would be targeting a KPD.

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the King's end up together at The Saints, would they both play or if the goal square?

Old school as it comes. The nostalgic part of me thinks that would be cool as for footy!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Blowing 7x $1m and a couple of first rounders on a key forward they don't need would be such a St Kilda thing to do. Hope it happens.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Blowing 7x $1m and a couple of first rounders on a key forward they don't need would be such a St Kilda thing to do. Hope it happens.
The only thing better than having one King, is having 2 Kings. King is an absolute jet, worth every penny and I hope St Kilda dont get him at all. I hope we do.

As for waiting for comben and edwards, id happily send one of them with some draft picks to Gold Coast to get king. Lets be serious here, if Kings management tells us he wants to play at North, that deal gets done. Every single day of the week.

Attachments

• A686E9E7-4E54-4691-85C5-41997DE4DB72.jpeg
    A686E9E7-4E54-4691-85C5-41997DE4DB72.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back