Not open for further replies.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2. Sleevo

Nobes said he would have a different role to that at the Pies & was true to his word. One of the players likely to benefit from Froggy’s delisting as he will get more wing time. A natural forward who will get more chances to hit the scoreboard as our midfield continues to develop & our inside 50 delivery improves. Clearly best 22 & not yet 23 years old. Just gotta get the off-field stuff right.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2. Sleevo

Nobes said he would have a different role to that at the Pies & was true to his word. One of the players likely to benefit from Froggy’s delisting as he will get more wing time. A natural forward who will get more chances to hit the scoreboard as our midfield continues to develop & our inside 50 delivery improves. Clearly best 22 & not yet 23 years old. Just gotta get the off-field stuff right.
So you reckon he plays wing/forward in 2022?

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
3. Jed

An intriguing season ahead for Jed. He usually plays as the hard nut inside mid with Cunners but as Hugh G is likely to fill this role where does this leave Jed? We are unlikely to go with 3 grunt mids especially as Jy can rotate as an inside mid. Could he be a pressure forward? He played as a small forward early in his career before transmitting to the midfield so knows the role. The key for him is actually getting on the paddock given his extensive injury history. As a 27 year old in a young side he might be playing for his career.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
3. Jed

An intriguing season ahead for Jed. He usually plays as the hard nut inside mid with Cunners but as Hugh G is likely to fill this role where does this leave Jed? We are unlikely to go with 3 grunt mids especially as Jy can rotate as an inside mid. Could he be a pressure forward? He played as a small forward early in his career before transmitting to the midfield so knows the role. The key for him is actually getting on the paddock given his extensive injury history. As a 27 year old in a young side he might be playing for his career.
Just get him to 100 games. You just know his 15 kids will be jets.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
4. Aidan Corr

Structurally so important especially since Robbie’s departure. His ability to play on talls and smalls gives us the flexibility to use other defenders in different ways. We just need to get him on the paddock and be injury free. 22 games from him will go a long eay to establishing a settled and flexible back six.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
5. Curtis Taylor

Coming along nicely, with each year so far better than the previous one. I reckon he is in our best 25 but maybe not our best 22. Will look to more time up the field and will be in the discussion for rotating through the wing along with a few others so Froggy’s departure gives him more opportunities. Got some time on the wing late last year and has a bit off X factor about him with his overhead ability and natural goal sense.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
6. JHF

To borrow from Monty Python is he the Messiah or just a naughty boy. The hype indicates the former. Should play round 1. We generally play our young mids as forwards with small bits of midfield time as they get accustomed to the speed of AFL. This presents a challenge as most of them have been pure mids in juniors. JHF has an advantage as he has played as a HF at senior level the last two years. Will add some aggression to the midfield mix.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Which we have. We recruited McKay straight after those ‘duds’ and we recruited Corr. Ideally we need another tall down back, but to say we have been set 10-12 years back is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree, been well served in that time by thompson and Taz. Benny McKay is the best young key defender in the comp and we've brought Corr in. The way the game is played these days defense starts in the midfield, if the ball is entering D50 easily and rapidly, your traditional gorilla key backs aren't going to save us. At the end of the day depends on match ups. Im a fan of 2 rucks with starting CB ruckman dropping back as a loose man inside D50 as an intercept mark, and the other working forward. I really think the art of coaching is in adjusting the game plan to make the most of the skill set at your disposal. Nobel really strikes me as that type of coach. Richmond won a flag with a bunch of small forwards. The bulldogs weren't even contesting ball ups a couple of years ago. I remember going to Kardinia park with a strong wind going one way, Pagan left Carey at one end the whole game,,,,,CHF going with the wind, CHB against it, 96 Longmire injured, took Scholl from the backline and turned him into a full forward. Point is and no disrespect to coaches each to their own, but prior to Noble's arrival I really feel we lacked some ingenuity and "thinking on your feet" in the coaching department since Pagan left. I really like what I see from Nobes and have faith that he can build a successful game plan based on the talent at his disposal. Right now, its about quality on all lines, no point getting in key defenders if the recruitment staff don't rate them.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Clubs usually make exceptions for players with specific upside. Otherwise a player hitting year 3+ in the system without consolidating is usually in trouble.

Players like Garner and Wood come to mind as the above type of exceptions because both on their day could be matchwinners in different ways. So the club held on hoping it would come together consistently.

Josh Walker aside as he's a known quantity who can at least hold down a spot, Spicer is the only young player I see there who might be held longer than his games tally supports because he has some rarer qualities for our list - outright pace, agility, fall of the ball movement etc.
pretty sure Spicer was extended to the end of 23? I reckon he could be a real bolter this season.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
We had one more 9th spot finish left in us if we kept Boomer. :stern look

Funny thing is Scott said he would have played Boomer and the others if they were on the list, the club had to move Boomer on or else Brad wouldn't have played anyone under 25 years of age.

Must be genetic, but in Chris' case in anyone under 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
7. JayZ

Resurrected his career last year. Given how important his kicking efficiency is to our ball movement out of the backline I reckon opposition coaches will spend more time on making him defend more one-on-one. Will he adopt the Boomer /Simmo/Spitter model of handing over the leadership while remaining on the list as a mentor to the new captain? If he is to do so now is the time as he starts what is probably his last two year contract.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
8. Bailey Scott

Is probably the favourite to take over the wing spot vacated by Froggy. Has a great engine and work ethic and seems ideally suited to the role.We have got some games into him as a high forward where he has demonstrated his ball winning ability. Like Curtis each year has been better than the one before.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
9. LDU

It has been a slow burn but given the difficult family circumstances this is understandable. He provides the fast footwork & exploding out of the front of stoppages mix in our midfield. The addition of Hugh G will help as it is another experienced head feeding it out to him. Will continue to rotate through the forward line so needs to better nail his set shots. He is not far off from being a top tier mid.

Must be genetic, but in Chris' case in anyone under 30.

I don't mind anyone playing to win, but I think it says something about the coach/club, if they can't incorporate youth into their side, when you look at all the recently successful sides, the vast majority of them fielded a fair few young players in the side.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
10. Cunners

The heartbeat of the side and the best player. The obvious priority is to get him fit & well. The addition of Hugh G may extend his career as it means the inside grunt work can be shared & Cunners can spend more time forward. He can also work inside with Hugh as a one-two combination. He remains vital to the development of the young mids individually and as a midfield combination. Has kicked multiple goals as a forward target in the past so more forward time should not be an issue.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
12. Jy

Has had to develop his inside ball winning skills over the past two seasons but it is on the outside that he is best suited. Has got better each year and is now just below the the elite mids. The addition of Hugh G will allow him to focus on the outside stuff where his evasion and ball use are so good. If his improvement continues will be an elite mid by year’s end. Has to be a chance to be Captain in 2022.

Last edited:
11. Jy

Has had to develop his inside ball winning skills over the past two seasons but it is on the outside that he is best suited. Has got better each year and is now just below the the elite mids. The addition of Hugh G will allow him to focus on the outside stuff where his evasion and ball use are so good. If his improvement continues will be an elite mid by year’s end. Has to be a chance to be Captain in 2022.
11 is lmac

12 is jy

Dec 7, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
11. Jy

I think a healthy mix of inside and outside is a perfect blend for him rather than predominately being an outside mid. His step through traffic is second to none and plays brutally tough footy. We talk about some other players who will get better as the team does and I think Jy is no exception to that. Will take another step once we continue to develop our game plan and our skills as a whole improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back